Author Topic: Links to protests about cuts, dates and information  (Read 3143 times)

redred

Re: Links to protests about cuts, dates and information
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2010, 12:24:16 PM »
I stupidly went down to oxford street area whilst the saturday action was taking place and it was bizarre how eerily quiet it was! I thought it was because no shoppers would have braved the weather then i remembered about the protests. I didn't see anything though there were quite a few police vans hanging round in side streets which amused me no end. What they'd be useful as when the people were inside was beyond me but then they probably had a fair few muppets in riot gear sat inside them or something.....

see, this cracks me up. You're in the forces but you take the p*ss out of the police? surely they're 'just doing their job'?

i'm not a fan of how the protests have been managed by the police higher powers but the majority of officers, like the majority of protesters, have behaved themselves. That's appears to be quite a double standard you've got going there.

Logos

« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2010, 12:33:11 PM »
I stupidly went down to oxford street area whilst the saturday action was taking place and it was bizarre how eerily quiet it was! I thought it was because no shoppers would have braved the weather then i remembered about the protests. I didn't see anything though there were quite a few police vans hanging round in side streets which amused me no end. What they'd be useful as when the people were inside was beyond me but then they probably had a fair few muppets in riot gear sat inside them or something.....

see, this cracks me up. You're in the forces but you take the p*ss out of the police? surely they're 'just doing their job'?

i'm not a fan of how the protests have been managed by the police higher powers but the majority of officers, like the majority of protesters, have behaved themselves. That's appears to be quite a double standard you've got going there.

The apparent contradiction jumped out at me, too, suzy. Can you explain it at all (just being curious, not looking for a scrap)?

I have a military background but I don't much like the police either. And I'm not sure I can explain it.

I don't have a blind loyalty to the armed forces by any means - but I do think if you accept the principle that an army of some kind is at all necessary, they should be well paid and properly funded with good quality radios, weaponry etc. I don't like the police because I've been on demos and marches, I've worked in the trade union movement and in left-leaning politics. I've seen, heard and read about too much for me to take anything other than a pretty jaded view of the police, although I do know there are some working really hard to make a difference.

But still, it's a contradiction.

Logos

« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2010, 12:34:38 PM »
I'm sorry, that post I made is off topic. Please could a moderator move it to a thread of its own? I don't want to clog up this "links" thread.

Suzywongster

« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2010, 02:54:23 PM »

I was meaning that after the way they've kettled all the other protests I found it amusing that they weren't kettling on the high street where it would be so much worse cause of the tourists that should've been there. I also only said muppets cause that kit is heavy and to sit cramped up in a van with it on would be pretty muppetish behaviour after a while even in the cold we've been having.

Offline Sorted.

• Slutclique Fluffer
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Hold your beliefs lightly.

Offline purplegirl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an animal found in South America
    • Tribe Wanted
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2011, 04:35:29 PM »
A bit of a later response

I went to the Top Shop one, missed the beginning and the end, but managed to dodge the security, join in others who were sitting on the floor by the main entrance -  a group of about 50 people, surrounded by security guards, a few police (most of them were outside the shop- or at least the ones in uniform).

There was lots of chanting eg ' philip green, pay your tax'  'where did all our money go? it went off to Monaco'  - although I suspect it was mostly drowned out by the very loud music - but we took advantage inbetween tracks and quiter ones. the shoppers were kept away from the protesters and looked rather bemused - but lots of people were flyering outside, so hopefully got the message.  Every now and then security tried to pick off a protester - I think unsuccessfully, but I couldn't see clearly.  It seemed like they were essentially containing the protest and letting it continue, rather than trying to stop it - apart from the few attempts to take people away.

I left before the end - I think the protesters ended it voluntarily after 2 or 3 hours. Apparently at the end one of the people I was with, was arrested whilst leaving the store peacefully.  I've not heard an update, but they were gonna fight it as wrongful arrest.

musca

« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2011, 01:03:03 PM »
there was a good discussion on the radio the other day about tax evasion.

And Wikileaks has sprung some gazillionaire, hasn't it?  And tomorrow he's going to blow the whistle on all the others.  I doubt if TopShopMan is the worst culprit.  Philip Green doesn't bother me as much as the ones who are clever enough to hush it up.  People with too much art and too many racehorses.

DancingRaindeer

« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »

Dear god just because someones in the army they don't deserve to be jumped upon for being rude about the police. Leave the woman alone. She doesn't have to justify anything to you  ::)

Glitcho

« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2011, 11:49:16 AM »
The TUC, along with other organisations will be holding a demonstration in Platt Fields Park, Manchester on Saturday 29th January, 13:00-15:00.

TUC event info...

"The abolition of the Education Maintenance Allowance, the increase in university tuition fees, record levels of youth unemployment, and the coalition government’s programme of vicious and unnecessary cuts are hitting Britain’s young people hard.

Routes into education and employment are being squeezed as young people are made to pick up the bill for a financial crisis they didn’t create!

‘A Future that Works’ will highlight the impact of the recession and the coalition government’s cuts programme on young workers and young people in general - and promote the trade union, student movement and partner organisation campaign against the cuts and for the alternatives. ‘A Future that Works’ is being hosted by the TUC in partnership with the National Union of Students and the UCU.

Speakers will include local, regional and national representatives from unions and the TUC, the NUS and other partner organisations.

The rally will start at 1pm.

A march to the rally site is being organised separately by the UCU and NUS. Details of assembly points and times are available from the UCU and NUS websites."

Facebook event

Offline Sorted.

• Slutclique Fluffer
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Hold your beliefs lightly.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:45:43 PM »
This is useful if you are in London and want to attend some "Don't Break Britain" events.

http://twitter.com/unitelondon