Author Topic: Lesbian Asylum Seeker  (Read 2488 times)

Bizoute

Lesbian Asylum Seeker
« on: Nov 13, 2010, 10:21:07 PM »
The Home Office is planning to deport yet another lesbian asylum seeker, this time to Nigeria.  Please write to the Home Office.  mayt@parliament.uk

There's a model letter and more addresses and information at http://www.ncadc.org.uk/campaigns/Sarah.html

If you write your own letter please make sure you include her reference number E1077979/3

From NCADC

Sarah is a 27-year-old Christian Nigerian national who is currently detained at Yarl’s Wood, where she has been held since August 2010 as part of fast track. She is a lesbian and fears that she will be killed upon her return to Nigeria. In 2002 after her uncle discovered her with a girlfriend, Sarah was raped and threatened with genital mutilation. Sarah arrived in the UK in 2004 and her applications for leave to remain have failed again and again. She was detained this year for overstaying and she risks removal at any moment. Support Sarah's campaign to stay in the UK!

(The woman who forwarded this to the mailing list I'm on adds that she included in her letter reference to the recent UN statement on the vulnerability of LGBTI people.
http://www.unhcr.org/4ca5ff566.html)

Old Brock

Re: Lesbian Asylum Seeker
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2010, 12:00:42 AM »
Emailed. It's very easy, there is a model letter, and 4 email addresses. I just copied the letter into the body of an email, made a couple of changes ('Christian Nigerian national' to 'Nigerian woman'), and emailed to all 4 email addresses.

Thanks for posting Bizoute.

Offline Whippy

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Rizzla's wifey
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2010, 12:37:06 AM »
Done.

I always copy my own MP on these - don't think it does any harm for them to know what we're protesting about (and I have a gay MP, so I'd hope he'd be supportive of this case).
"It is lack of confidence, more than anything else, that kills a civilisation. We can destroy ourselves by cynicism and disillusion, just as effectively as by bombs."

Sir Kenneth Clark (1903-1983)

Offline Charlotte Mew

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • aka VV
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2010, 12:42:47 PM »
Didn't we have stickies on threads like this in DCG before?  I know we did.  It is the only way to get a response really. 

Bizoute

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2010, 12:50:11 PM »
I know, we did. I did ask Evict if it couldn't be made into a sticky in DCG. I know this is meant to be the correct section for these sort of threads, but this is such an important issue, and it'll barely get read because it's in this section. :( Natch, the thread with all the protests/marches details.

I don't feel particularly charming bitching about a mod's decision and I get that they're busy, but surely there could be some rule bending for threads that really need to be read (esp within a specific timeframe.)

Offline nic0085

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:49:29 PM »
Done. And forwarded on.

DancingRaindeer

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2010, 04:38:51 PM »
Done. For the UKBA e-mail addres you need to put "FAQ" in the subject title.

Offline Elina

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2011, 12:45:59 AM »
Done. However worried it is too late. Can't believe we can't make space for people in need like Sarah though... and so many others. Such an imprtant issue!

Offline nic0085

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:41:51 PM »
Another one worth supporting: http://www.allout.org/brenda

Offline purelybyaccident

• Gingerbeer w*nker
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • There's still some good mileage left.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:16:21 PM »
Another one worth supporting: http://www.allout.org/brenda

Ah, at least a petition that lets me sign even if I am not in the UK.