Author Topic: Post march/demo/protest dates here!  (Read 12159 times)

fetishkitty

Re: Post march/demo/protest dates here!
« Reply #30 on: Nov 30, 2010, 07:31:22 AM »
The action on 4th December has been announced here: http://www.ukuncut.org.uk/

In London the demo starts at 11am in TopShop at Oxford Circus.

kitty

Offline Guineapig

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • *meep meep*
    • The Yoga Club
« Reply #31 on: Nov 30, 2010, 07:36:26 AM »
I bump it so that you can see the title from the front page, otherwise people will forget the thread is here, unless of course they're looking to sell spare tickets or rehome their cat. No one ever comes to the bloody notice board. As long as this thread stays in the notice board I shall continue to bump it.

Thank you.
Gingerbeer Yoga Thread

*meep meep*

salix caprea

« Reply #32 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:23:49 AM »
The action on 4th December has been announced here: http://www.ukuncut.org.uk/

In London the demo starts at 11am in TopShop at Oxford Circus.

kitty

God I'm such a ditz - I keep telling people it's Next that's the other baddie - I wonder, is that slander? Eek!

keith

« Reply #33 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:10:19 PM »
^quite possibly. But do we care? Not in the slightest innit.

chiphead

« Reply #34 on: Dec 02, 2010, 11:55:56 PM »
Next Thursday (9th) Parliament Square for the big one!  I should attach a link, but you know, Thursday it is, and the location is easy to find.

Also: I'm not going to post details about the Hackney sex worker demo/campaign in case anyone kicks off against sex workers, but please IM me if you want to know more.

salix caprea

« Reply #35 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:02:47 AM »
Next Thursday (9th) Parliament Square for the big one!  I should attach a link, but you know, Thursday it is, and the location is easy to find.

Also: I'm not going to post details about the Hackney sex worker demo/campaign in case anyone kicks off against sex workers, but please IM me if you want to know more.

Oooh, no work for me next Thursday - I might get to join in!

Can you please send me details of t'other demo too *winsome smile* too bleedin lazy to IM when I'm already talking to you here ... You do have THE best seasonal name!

Suzywongster

« Reply #36 on: Dec 03, 2010, 02:46:48 AM »
What time does next Thursdays start/finish??

salix caprea

« Reply #37 on: Dec 03, 2010, 09:39:03 AM »
Parliament Square 10am http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/event.php?eid=136567579732280 not sure about finish time - basically when everyone goes home eh?  :D

Offline purplegirl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an animal found in South America
    • Tribe Wanted
« Reply #38 on: Dec 03, 2010, 08:24:30 PM »
...another one on the 4th dec.... for 1million climate jobs, zero carbon britain, climate justice etc....starts at 12 from hyde park, so could come after top shop.. . march doesn't move til 1pm -  http://www.campaigncc.org/

chiphead

« Reply #39 on: Dec 04, 2010, 08:36:07 AM »

Can you please send me details of t'other demo too *winsome smile* too bleedin lazy to IM when I'm already talking to you here ... You do have THE best seasonal name!

thankyou!  Look on Facebook.  10th December at Hackney Town Hall to stop the nil policy on strip clubs/sex establishments.  Expectations are affected too, but they will just stop selling xxx dvds and they'll stay open.

Strip clubs, though - it sets a dangerous precedent.  Newham have pushed this nil policy through very quickly.  It means that underground strip venues operate which are, frankly, very dangerous. 

Also the strip clubs in Hackney arent' like the big corporate lapdancing clubs which people might think they'd be glad to see the back of.  They're actually worth a visit; women are very welcome, some of them are matriarchal venues, run by women and a couple are family run and have been going through a few generations.  They have been in the area for 30 years, without them we wouldn't have the performance/burlesque scene we take for granted.  Read Baby Oil & Ice by Lara Clifton; look at Jo King's website and see that a woman of a different age and size to what people expect 'strippers' are, cut her teeth in these places.  These venues are very old-school East End, quite carnival in feel, where girls are treated with respect, don't conform to one body aesthetic, devise their own costumes and routines, and mostly perform on stage while a pint pot goes round and customers must defer to the rights of the worker by coughing up, and it goes straight to her.  Their work is loved and customers love the venues and talk about going along to appreciate an art form.  More importantly, if the clubs get closed it sets a dangerous precedent in abolitionist terms.  The council can't really make these moral decisions on behalf of others.  Hackney never would have filled up with artists and performers, especially around Hoxton and Shoreditch and Dalston, without these places to create the so-called 'edgy' atmosphere in the first place.  That atmosphere is being sterilised by an Olympic clean up and a moral high ground which I think is very ominous; the nil policy WILL affect the performance scene which we all take for granted, the great nights out we all have all over the city.  Other boroughs will follow.  We won't have our risky performances, and that has a massive impact on the LGBT scene and the kind of nights we assume are our right. 

There's another one which is violence against sex workers next week, in central London, I'll post the link.

But I will see you at parliament square duckie for the generalised mayhem.   

chiphead

« Reply #40 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:04:48 AM »
Thursday also from ULU against education cuts, leave at 12.  I like it that they're calling it SHUT DOWN LONDON.  Isn't it also against welfare and housing cuts?  I do hope so.  I need a kind of generalised 'I'm pissed off' day.

Against violence to sex workers is 17 Dec at TUC Congress House.  I am too lazy to do links.

Even both my kids' schools are striking against whatsitcalled, Academies.  I must admit, I have a certain level of wanting to go on strike against all this striking.  It's a bit cold out.

keith

« Reply #41 on: Dec 04, 2010, 10:08:26 AM »

thankyou!  Look on Facebook.  10th December at Hackney Town Hall to stop the nil policy on strip clubs/sex establishments.  Expectations are affected too, but they will just stop selling xxx dvds and they'll stay open.

Strip clubs, though - it sets a dangerous precedent.  Newham have pushed this nil policy through very quickly.  It means that underground strip venues operate which are, frankly, very dangerous. 

Also the strip clubs in Hackney arent' like the big corporate lapdancing clubs which people might think they'd be glad to see the back of.  They're actually worth a visit; women are very welcome, some of them are matriarchal venues, run by women and a couple are family run and have been going through a few generations.  They have been in the area for 30 years, without them we wouldn't have the performance/burlesque scene we take for granted.  Read Baby Oil & Ice by Lara Clifton; look at Jo King's website and see that a woman of a different age and size to what people expect 'strippers' are, cut her teeth in these places.  These venues are very old-school East End, quite carnival in feel, where girls are treated with respect, don't conform to one body aesthetic, devise their own costumes and routines, and mostly perform on stage while a pint pot goes round and customers must defer to the rights of the worker by coughing up, and it goes straight to her.  Their work is loved and customers love the venues and talk about going along to appreciate an art form.  More importantly, if the clubs get closed it sets a dangerous precedent in abolitionist terms.  The council can't really make these moral decisions on behalf of others.  Hackney never would have filled up with artists and performers, especially around Hoxton and Shoreditch and Dalston, without these places to create the so-called 'edgy' atmosphere in the first place.  That atmosphere is being sterilised by an Olympic clean up and a moral high ground which I think is very ominous; the nil policy WILL affect the performance scene which we all take for granted, the great nights out we all have all over the city.  Other boroughs will follow.  We won't have our risky performances, and that has a massive impact on the LGBT scene and the kind of nights we assume are our right. 

There's another one which is violence against sex workers next week, in central London, I'll post the link.

But I will see you at parliament square duckie for the generalised mayhem.

This reminds me. I went to Shhh a few weeks ago and they had a petition on their desk, as they will be shut down too if this goes ahead.

chiphead

« Reply #42 on: Dec 05, 2010, 12:21:38 AM »
Sssh will be okay, Archie, but I am glad they see the possible ramifications in terms of censorship and are part of the campaign, because they might not be okay if it goes ahead and to the next level.  Expectations will also be okay, they only need to stop selling triple x dvds and they can keep their licence I think.  Chariots won't be affected, which seems odd, but it's got political weight behind it; pinkpound.  I think the policy is specifically anti women as much as being anti sex; the idea of sex & women being most threatening.  The venues most targeted are those which the council themselves has decreed are offensive; neighbourhood forums don't agree.  there haven't been complaints, for example.  People in the area aren't objecting - it's mostly because the Olympic cavalcade (that's the wrong word for it, I know, but whatever - the fleet of cars?) will go up the Hackney Road and mustn't see these places.  The only thing there is to see is the word striptease written in neon outside The Axe.  Which isn't lit up in daylight, and is probably mistaken for some kind of Tracey Emin-ish pretty piece of art by the local hipsters.  I don't get this nil policy at all, and I think it's got misogynist as well as draconian overtones.  It makes women the greatest thing for society to fear, the naked female body.  Specifically the bodies of women who rarely unionise (although many are doing so over this), and who often don't have all their legal papers and their immigration status may be sketchy.  Yeah, they are really worth hating.  Talk about easy targets.  This isn't always the case, though.  And the day the dancers were given a meeting room in the Town Hall where they and sat around a giant table, all miked up, and made a councillor realise that some of them had postgraduate qualifications, were highly articulate, and all loved their work (which is a threat in itself, I think, to the very fabric of our society: loving your work) and weren't being exploited.....it was priceless.  But I don't know if it will be enough.  It doesn't seem, ostensibly, like a big deal amidst all the huge cuts and the corruption taking place, but I do believe it has really worrying overtones.  We take our performance nights for granted, the freedom of expression in LGBT and ground-breaking nights out across the city, but we can't take that for granted if this policy goes through, and it suggests that the walls are closing in. 

It's important that by outlawing these types of places they necessarily go underground, which does mean that the women working in them are unsafe.

It might seem that the world of straight men looking at strippers has no bearing on gay rights, but I see them as very closely connected: the idea of 'othering' those considered to be a risk to society.  The idea of those who are 'too sexual' or 'sexually deviant'.  And these venues did set a precedent over 30 years ago for a whole wave of gay, drag, performance art, burlesque, call it what you like, to take place across the city.  These are old school East End venues which fly in the face of body fascism and ageism.  Jo King is large and formidable and in her late 40s or older, still performing, and started off in these places.  She turned the tradition mainstream, and whatever you think of that - I don't know if the knock-on effect could put a stranglehold on performance nights in Vauxhall, Soho...who can say?  I think it's not a good sign, though.   I think we take our freedoms for granted, and there are people in suits wanting to make moral decisions on our behalf.  By opposing this policy, you oppose the very idea of this.

purelybyaccident

« Reply #43 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:57:28 PM »
Thanks for the above post scumbag etc.

Offline Charlotte Mew

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • aka VV
« Reply #44 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:45:14 AM »
I so wish all this important information was not in the Noticeboard but a sticky in DCG - where I think members really wanted it.    It is surely of more current relevance to us than birthday wishes which do get to be a sticky in DCG.