Author Topic: Dear W.O.C  (Read 3664 times)

Offline Reflect39

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Dear W.O.C
« on: Oct 31, 2010, 11:58:26 AM »
For a long time I've been thinking.....

Why is this board so DEAD?

Although great, I just don’t want to know about books, films, theatre or events.  I want to go to a place where I can get some support, advice and most of all laugh from my belly upwards.  Yes, I like to laugh believe it or not! 

Is this not why this section is here for us?  Do I have to go outside this board to get this?  You know what...... I don't want to.  From what I've heard women fought for the WOC section of the board.

This is what I want from the WOC board…

Discussions:  (BLGBT) community, coming out in the black community, isolation, the scene etc…

Health:  Mental health issues, sexual health, depression, issues such as fibroids and breast awareness.

Relationships:  Friendships, relationships, sex, those dating woes etc…

Careers: Make that CV work, how to make changes and get that job.

Beauty:  Where do I get my dreadlocks started, make up tips, what make up to buy for black skin, how I can avoid getting spots (don't laugh)  :D.

Fashion:  Designer or High Street?  Next top model or fashion victim chats…..

Family:  Caring for your parents as they get older, disability, children, grand-children, co-parenting, pregnancy, adoption, fostering etc…

Travel: Mini breaks, festivals, travel tips…

Fitness: Maybe a WOC charity run being organised in 2011.  I would love to do this as I’ve just started my running again.

Education:  What’s a good college or university?  What courses.....

Legal:  Personal injury (I need help with this), homophobia in the workplace etc...

Music:  Downloader or freeloader.  Do you still have vinyl, even mini discs or would you like to share some of your music, I would  :).

My list is endless I could bang on all day….but I shall stop! I'm sure you get my drift....  ;D.

Can we not share our experiences, triumphs, fears and talk to each other…

Let’s get this board buzzing……

Nuff said...

It's not what life takes out of you....It's what you take out of life!

Offline sassykat

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Shakara (Oloje) Olulufu Mi
Re: Dear W.O.C
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2010, 06:34:50 PM »
@Reflect 39.. Great posting! All the topics mentioned are sure to get the board buzzing and alive once again. And you are right it would be nice to have more indepth discussions besides leisure and entertainment which are also equally good and informative. There was a time WOC board used to engage in indepth dialogues/debates etc.. However from what i have witnessed and experienced there were times when topics used to resort to world war 3, (Literally) words were taken out of context/at times total lack of respect or consideration for other people's views and opinions where it became just to much hard work.. Which put a number of women off never to return to the WOC boards. So prehaps light hearted topics such as leisure /entertaintment were considered a safe bet less hassle/less dialouge, just nice and easy.

Maybe a way of moving forward could be for you to set the pace and start a thread with one of the topics mentioned within that you setting some ground rules, such as respect/consideration etc... Some of the topics mentioned are quite sensitive and personal hence women need to feel safe, secure and respected.. Without feeling their opinions do not matter or are unimportant...

I hope this makes sense and i haven't just waffled on...

I look forward to the first topic :).

Peace.

"If You have no confidence in self, You are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence, you have won, even before you have started"

Marcus Mosiah Garvey (1887-1940).

Offline Reflect39

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2010, 05:31:17 PM »
Thank you SK.
You haven't waffled, your comments are perfectly valid.

I think it will take a 'volcano' to get this board to erupt!

Offline Fusion1

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2010, 07:42:48 PM »
I know I'd be interested in a WOC charity run, if one were to be organised. It would give me something to aim towards, and help to motivate me with my fitness.
Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values. – Dalai Lama

Offline Cocoa Butter

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Drop beats, not bombs
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2010, 08:28:26 PM »
I'm doing a charity 5k run in December.  My first. I'm hoping it will be the start of many. WOC charity run sounds good to me.   Hmmm. Sounding like a plan :)
'Rest at pale evening...
A tall, slim tree...
Night coming tenderly
Black like me'
Langston Hughes

Offline Deeper Purple

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2010, 08:47:41 PM »
Hey girl! :) 

Love this post Reflect!

So true... It would be nice to have more diverse discussions...

Offline Fusion1

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2010, 08:48:58 PM »
Hey Cocoa good luck with your first 5k charity run in Dec. I did my first 5k Race for Life last year, it's a great feeling :)
Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values. – Dalai Lama

Offline M&M

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • MsUnderstood
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2010, 08:20:14 PM »
Loving your words expressed on this thread @ Reflect.
Thanks for starting this discussion. It's now left for us all to do our bit and walk the talk.

<==== feeling +ive for GB WOC
M&M

Offline chick.lovely

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
I argee with you 100% Reflect39
Smiles all around.

Offline Reflect39

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2010, 08:14:12 PM »
@Soft-Stud loving that walk the talk...

@Chick.lovely bless.....;D.

Offline Tracy

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • ONE LOVE!!! Spreading love all over the world :-)
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2011, 05:57:44 PM »
just having a look back at some old posts... this is still relevant i think... im trying to think of something with a bit of spark... SK and R39 are doing great, but every little helps... *brain ticking*
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Bless up to all

Offline M&M

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • MsUnderstood
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2014, 12:05:32 AM »
BUMP:

For a long time I've been thinking.....

Why is this board so DEAD?

Although great, I just don’t want to know about books, films, theatre or events.  I want to go to a place where I can get some support, advice and most of all laugh from my belly upwards.  Yes, I like to laugh believe it or not! 

Is this not why this section is here for us?  Do I have to go outside this board to get this?  You know what...... I don't want to.  From what I've heard women fought for the WOC section of the board.

This is what I want from the WOC board…

Discussions:  (BLGBT) community, coming out in the black community, isolation, the scene etc…

Health:  Mental health issues, sexual health, depression, issues such as fibroids and breast awareness.

Relationships:  Friendships, relationships, sex, those dating woes etc…

Careers: Make that CV work, how to make changes and get that job.

Beauty:  Where do I get my dreadlocks started, make up tips, what make up to buy for black skin, how I can avoid getting spots (don't laugh)  :D.

Fashion:  Designer or High Street?  Next top model or fashion victim chats…..

Family:  Caring for your parents as they get older, disability, children, grand-children, co-parenting, pregnancy, adoption, fostering etc…

Travel: Mini breaks, festivals, travel tips…

Fitness: Maybe a WOC charity run being organised in 2011.  I would love to do this as I’ve just started my running again.

Education:  What’s a good college or university?  What courses.....

Legal:  Personal injury (I need help with this), homophobia in the workplace etc...

Music:  Downloader or freeloader.  Do you still have vinyl, even mini discs or would you like to share some of your music, I would  :).

My list is endless I could bang on all day….but I shall stop! I'm sure you get my drift....  ;D.

Can we not share our experiences, triumphs, fears and talk to each other…

Let’s get this board buzzing……

Nuff said...

In a reflective mood at the mo and will ponder this and come back to it...
M&M

Offline Friendly

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
    • London Lesbian Singles
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:28:59 AM »
I agree with Sassykat. I think we need:

*traffic first,
*then meet ups to build some trust, community spirit and genuine rapport; and,
*through the above comes the natural urge share (personal) views and debate 'the hard stuff'.

Now you've reflected what's your view?
Sometimes I'm grateful that our thoughts don't appear in bubbles above our head.

maellah

« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2014, 12:27:10 AM »
Would it helpful to (re) introduce ourselves a little bit...?
I am new on the forum and I would find it easier to get involved if I had an idea of who I am interacting with. Of course it takes time and contribution to get to know each other and build trust but it would still be nice as a first step .....so I will start :

I am French Caribbean (Guadeloupe/Martinique), 28 *birthday-next-week*, typical girl next door ^^
I have been in the UK for 7 years and I love London :)
I am openly gay (I have been since I was 13) but not out on the scene. Recently I felt the need to connect a bit more with the lesbian community ....Gingerbeer seemed like a good place to start....so here we go !

Offline Friendly

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
    • London Lesbian Singles
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2014, 05:55:15 AM »
Great idea Di!

I'm 44 , caribbean/african American origin, born here, raised in a small midlands town.  Erm. Out. Erm. Oh, I just started a meetup group 'London Lesbian Singles' . Erm. You'll have to ask me the rest on a WOC thread meetup.

Whose next!  Naturale? My girl M&M?
Sometimes I'm grateful that our thoughts don't appear in bubbles above our head.