Author Topic: How to remove greasy blu tack marks on wall?  (Read 39151 times)

LazyClutch

How to remove greasy blu tack marks on wall?
« on: Sep 22, 2010, 11:11:50 AM »
I know... newbie mistake. I used blu tack to stick a couple of posters in my flat. Now I'm moving out and turns out that the blu tack has left some oily marks on the wall (the blu tack itself has come off). I tried one of those clever magic eraser sponges but didn't work.

I read that a "citrus based stain remover" might do the trick but where would I find one of those that works on walls? I looked in homebase but no luck

Any ideas how to remove the marks? I really don't want to lose part of my deposit over this :(

Thanks

wolfgang

Re: How to remove greasy blu tack marks on wall?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2010, 11:13:58 AM »
Yes.  Go back in time and forbear from using that vile smurf sh1t in the first place.  *shudders*
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2010, 11:24:20 AM by Wolfboots »

Mirror

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2010, 11:22:36 AM »
paint.

Spells

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2010, 11:24:52 AM »
I have no idea if this works but apparantly if you press a brown paper bag to the greasy marks, it should draw out the stain.

Tbh it's not something i have actually tried myself but you never know.

« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2010, 11:29:11 AM »
There are two ways of doing this, both are a bit odd. Firstly try rubbing the mark with white bread, the idea is that the bread with soak up the grease make, it doesn't always work. If you have no luck with that, get an extension cord and plug your iron into it, then put a brown paper bag on top of the grease make and iron over it, keep folding the bag so that a clean bit of paper bag is in contact with the mark, the grease should be melted and absorbed by the paper. It works better with blotting paper but blotting paper is very hard to get now.

The iron technique should only be used on a painted wall, it would probably set wallpaper on fire.

A 'citrus based stain remover', can be purchased online here:

http://www.kitchenvillage.co.uk/ssl/aspcart/productview.asp?product_id=105893&source=froogle_kv

but I don't find them to be all that good.

Offline tall garnett

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2010, 11:43:43 AM »
In bridalwear they use talcum powder to get oil/grease off dresses... But how you you could do that on a vertical surface is a good question...
Bullsh*t goes a long way if you spread it thin enough...

kitty + tall garnett: all a discerning consumer could ever need.  Grin

Mirror

« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2010, 11:44:36 AM »
There are two ways of doing this, both are a bit odd. Firstly try rubbing the mark with white bread, the idea is that the bread with soak up the grease make, it doesn't always work. If you have no luck with that, get an extension cord and plug your iron into it, then put a brown paper bag on top of the grease make and iron over it, keep folding the bag so that a clean bit of paper bag is in contact with the mark, the grease should be melted and absorbed by the paper. It works better with blotting paper but blotting paper is very hard to get now.

The iron technique should only be used on a painted wall, it would probably set wallpaper on fire.

A 'citrus based stain remover', can be purchased online here:

http://www.kitchenvillage.co.uk/ssl/aspcart/productview.asp?product_id=105893&source=froogle_kv

but I don't find them to be all that good.

Watercolour paper from an art shop is very absorbant.

Offline Whippy

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Rizzla's wifey
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2010, 11:52:37 AM »
My aim as a landlord is always to try and keep my house from sliding into looking like 'a renter' and getting lower and lower rent each time because it starts looking shabby. So, we aim to try and freshen the paintwork between tenants anyway (one reason all the rooms in the house are the same colour). Maybe your landlord has this in mind and will accept a few blu tack marks as fair wear and tear - you won't know until you ask. Blu tack marks wouldn't pee me off as a landlord; huge divots in walls or drilled holes with rawl plugs make me mad as hell.

Tot up how many marks in how many rooms and if they won't come off, fess up to the landlord while you are still there and can do something about them. If the landlord won't accept them as fair wear and tear and he/she wants to charge you for redecoration, offer (in writing) to buy a grease-sealing undercoat plus the correct paint and promise to be scrupulous about covering floors and furniture, and taping any glosswork to protect it, and say  you will paint the wall. The whole wall so that it matches in. Also take photographs of the marks and the whole room so that there's no doubt about the extent of the marks - that you haven't destroyed the room, you've only left a couple of marks on a wall.

If your landlord has put your deposit into a protection scheme (which they should have), then any dispute over your deposit has to be decided by an independent adjudicator before any of the deposit goes to either of you. You can raise the dispute with the scheme even before you leave if your landlord is threatening to dock it. The fact that you've offered in writing to make good the marks at your own cost and in a responsible way will go a long way with the adjudicator, who is usually on the side of the tenant, and should ensure you get your deposit back.

"It is lack of confidence, more than anything else, that kills a civilisation. We can destroy ourselves by cynicism and disillusion, just as effectively as by bombs."

Sir Kenneth Clark (1903-1983)

Offline Nadia

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »
Mix some washing up liquid with water, apply on the marks (do not rub) leave for 5 minutes, rinse of with clear water. Good luck

Offline missmarple

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2010, 03:25:17 PM »
ohhhhhh in a similar vain
a little wee thing has attacked our rented walls with purple crayon
cant wipe it off.............any sug???

LazyClutch

« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2010, 04:59:37 PM »
Thanks for that. I'll try the suggestions. Re the crayon, the jml magic eraser should work for that as it's removed similar marks from my walls.

PQ

« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2010, 07:47:02 PM »

It says on the back of Blue Tack wrapper thingies that chewing-gum remover will remove the oily stains. I'd never heard of the stuff but I looked it up & Amazon sells it. Ive not used it (landlord was OK with the stains as he intended to renovate anyway), so can't speak for its effectiveness.

If any of the other methods suggested worked, could you feed back which one? Ta.  :)

LazyClutch

« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2010, 12:33:06 PM »
Just to report:

white bread - didn't work
brown paper+hot iron - didn't work
washing up liquid - didn't work

Offline Nadia

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #14 on: Sep 23, 2010, 02:54:47 PM »
Just to report:

white bread - didn't work
brown paper+hot iron - didn't work
washing up liquid - didn't work

Add a bit of white vinegar to your washing up liquid and water mix, apply with a sponge and leave for 5 to 10 minutes, I have done it few times to take off oil stain from cooking it worked each time.