Author Topic: 1 day in Paris  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Melanie

• Gingerbeer Lifer
  • We're cool, we're the dancing saucers
1 day in Paris
« on: Aug 18, 2010, 09:16:56 PM »
I've just booked myself a daytrip to Paris in a couple of weeks.

Can't wait and I will of course look up lots to see and do but I wondered if anyone had any top tips?

"Unfortunately some crumbs have FALLEN reminding them of their FRAILTY in the FACE of TIME."Edward Monkton

PQ

Re: 1 day in Paris
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2010, 09:23:54 PM »

What kind of thing do you like? There's bound to be five of any of it there, at least.  :D

One thing: Eat. Croissants. The real things.

purelybyaccident

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2010, 09:39:49 PM »

What kind of thing do you like? There's bound to be five of any of it there, at least.  :D

One thing: Eat. Croissants. The real things.

Oh yes, that is most important, gorgeous and worth a day trip alone just for that.

Offline Melanie

• Gingerbeer Lifer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:17:30 PM »
I like to walk, gardens - particularly with flowers, impressive structures/buildings... and I love to eat!

Croissants are on the list. Thanks!
"Unfortunately some crumbs have FALLEN reminding them of their FRAILTY in the FACE of TIME."Edward Monkton

PQ

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:25:27 PM »

One word: Versailles.  :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardens_of_Versailles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_Versailles

There's a little (well, little compared ot the palace) farmhouse somewhere in the grounds too, where Marie Antoinette hung out playing at being a shepherdess. It's very pretty.
(Apparently in bad weather they (one of the Louises) put down turf and stuff along a couple of corridors in the palace & had themselves a hunt in there. That may just be a rumour, but it gives you an idea of the size of the place.)

« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 10:27:07 PM by Spike-headed Katydid »

still_life

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2010, 09:22:32 AM »
Go to the Rodin Museum: wonderful work, beautiful gardens.

Oh, and there used to be a dyke back room in a gay bar near the national library where even the butchest girls wear make-up.

I love watching the styles of lesbians in other countries. In Lisbon, many wear ruff collars and cameo brooches - a far cry from Hackney.

Offline Melanie

• Gingerbeer Lifer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2010, 01:39:05 PM »
Brilliant! Thank you all!