Author Topic: being a mature student  (Read 28686 times)

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
Re: being a mature student
« Reply #450 on: Nov 02, 2015, 05:12:04 PM »
Oh no! Can you send it on as an email/by post after all? With a covering letter, obviously. You never know, it might turn out for the best to be in two places in someone's  in tray...!

And, massive congrats for finishing the novel!!!!!

And, no, the extension is not going well, I was in tears over everything yesterday but a) my wife and b) my work placement supervisor have helped me a lot. I am not sure if finishing it this week is possible or not, but I haven't actually given up yet! Feeling a bit more positive this evening and nearly there. Have done a couple of other important things to procrastinate and hope to really work on it soon. So why am I on here at all?   I am my own worst enemy, sigh....

Offline fp

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #451 on: Nov 02, 2015, 07:09:58 PM »
Oh no! you poor thing. Deadlines really suck, especially when they turn up like buses. Thinking calm, productive thoughts for you.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #452 on: Nov 03, 2015, 08:18:36 PM »
Well, I am calm and positive, alongside knackered :)

I have decided that it's not possible to avoid my work responsibilities any longer, which means letting go of this deadline on Thursday after all. Because I've been able to more or less choose when I do each module of my course (because I have so many exemptions), I first went to the lessons for this module in 2013-14. I never got anywhere at all with the research though, as I wasn't even on a work placement yet at that time. The year after, I had the work placement from hell and my supervisor sabotaged the study before I wrote more than two introductory paragraphs to the report itself.

This year, I have a plan, have read the literature, created, scrapped, recreated, rescrapped and recreated my thesis questions, and tested out loads of 'learning interventions' in class. My biggest difficulty was that I did things a bit in the wrong order due to time constraints and being too much of a last minute person. I couldn't bear/manage the headf^ck this time of making the things I had read fit the interventions which I had thought up before reading up enough. Cue many many hours sitting in front of a laptop and not producing the words. I could have gone through the motions and possibly got a pass, but been embarrassed to hand it in. Now the crucial thing is to get the literature search finally written up this weekend, then TWEAK the interventions so they DO fit the theory, redo them, get proper feedback on them, and NOT be in ANY danger of missing the "retake" deadline in January.

Wish me luck! It WILL happen! I did manage this *once* before, finishing something two weeks after the first deadline and technically handing it in "early".

Offline outoforder

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #453 on: Nov 05, 2015, 08:19:23 PM »
Good luck, Lfl!

I find I forget things, especially if I think the 'thing' is irrelevant to know outside of exams.

And I'm realising that men really are evil. I am probably the best on the course (okay joint tops with a guy I like and who respects me as an equal), but I get overlooked when the others want to know something, or want help (it's a cooperative kind of set up), and it is because they don't see my awesomeness  :P... because I'm a woman. It annoys me, but I'm hoping I will have the last laugh.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #454 on: Nov 06, 2015, 06:38:54 PM »
Thanks!

I didn't realise you were on a course! What in?

Offline outoforder

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #455 on: Nov 07, 2015, 08:43:57 PM »
IT for my sins. I love learning about it, but didn't realise how competitive it would be  :-\

I just wish I could get published and eek a living out of that....life would be so easy..... ;D

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #456 on: Nov 07, 2015, 09:00:24 PM »
One day.... :-*

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #457 on: Jan 03, 2016, 11:22:01 PM »
Well, I am calm and positive, alongside knackered :)

I have decided that it's not possible to avoid my work responsibilities any longer, which means letting go of this deadline on Thursday after all. Because I've been able to more or less choose when I do each module of my course (because I have so many exemptions), I first went to the lessons for this module in 2013-14. I never got anywhere at all with the research though, as I wasn't even on a work placement yet at that time. The year after, I had the work placement from hell and my supervisor sabotaged the study before I wrote more than two introductory paragraphs to the report itself.

This year, I have a plan, have read the literature, created, scrapped, recreated, rescrapped and recreated my thesis questions, and tested out loads of 'learning interventions' in class. My biggest difficulty was that I did things a bit in the wrong order due to time constraints and being too much of a last minute person. I couldn't bear/manage the headf^ck this time of making the things I had read fit the interventions which I had thought up before reading up enough. Cue many many hours sitting in front of a laptop and not producing the words. I could have gone through the motions and possibly got a pass, but been embarrassed to hand it in. Now the crucial thing is to get the literature search finally written up this weekend, then TWEAK the interventions so they DO fit the theory, redo them, get proper feedback on them, and NOT be in ANY danger of missing the "retake" deadline in January.

Wish me luck! It WILL happen! I did manage this *once* before, finishing something two weeks after the first deadline and technically handing it in "early".

God I wish I had done what I was intending to do. I am now in danger of missing the January deadline after all ::)

Offline VisitingStudentCamden

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #458 on: Jan 19, 2016, 12:30:41 AM »
I actually think I am getting more out of my studies being a mature student.

But my progress has been slow... in my fifth year.. but still going.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #459 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:20:22 PM »
^ oh, absolutely!to both!

I got off to a flying start but the pace has slowed immensely since. If you take into account my transferred credit I won't be finishing early at all, but late. But I am soaking up all sorts of details that would have passed me by 20 years ago.

Eta: I managed the deadline, and passed that module :D what a relief! I lost 8% for spelling and grammar though :(. Luckily I had overdone things as usual so it was still a decent mark.
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2016, 10:24:25 PM by Lust for Life »

Offline pars

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • think pies
« Reply #460 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:21:40 PM »
Checking in. Still a student for another academic year.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #461 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:25:22 PM »
Checking in. Still a student for another academic year.

Wehey, it's almost a party in here ;D

Offline Bewilderbeast

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #462 on: Apr 04, 2016, 03:50:56 PM »
Just wanted to recommend this amazing book to anyone doing (or thinking about doing) a PhD. I also think there is a lot there for anyone doing a Masters or any other kind of study that involves producing a dissertation length piece of writing. To be honest I think what it has to say is useful for anyone doing any length of writing that is going to be assessed by someone else but clearly itís PhD students that will get the most out of it.

What I love about it is how it shows you that everyone struggles with writing something that is good enough (or rather knowing if itís good enough) and how just because you have been accepted to do it doesnít mean you have the first clue how on earth to do it (and that thatís ok). I think this applies to any kind of study!

I am now girding my loins to finish my PhD after taking a lot of time off to care for my dad who died last year. I still donít know quite how I got here (I failed all my A Levels at school and didnít start this studying lark until my thirties) or how I am going to finish it but this book has been great.

Anyway if anyone is interested, here is a link: http://www.palgrave.com/us/book/9781137395238

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #463 on: Apr 04, 2016, 08:04:20 PM »
It looks great, Bewilderbeast, thank you for sharing that :)

And good luck with getting stuck back in :-*

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #464 on: Jun 08, 2016, 02:59:56 PM »
I have removed my whingeing of the 8th of June and am replacing it with the following announcement:

I will be taking a break from this thread, hopefully for one academic year, because I passed at bloody last :)

Next round is an MA, but not just yet ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2016, 04:46:31 PM by Lust for Life »