Author Topic: being a mature student  (Read 33094 times)

Offline pars

• Promoter
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • think pies
Re: being a mature student
« Reply #435 on: Apr 10, 2015, 11:56:38 PM »
Www.Jobs.ac.uk has lots of funded phd positions at the moment..

ElectricHippo

« Reply #436 on: Apr 17, 2015, 07:43:18 PM »
^ I didn't log back in to say this at the time but this really helped a lot. Thank you!  I wish I could return the favour with rat-bite-removal by remote control or something :-*

Ah, no worries :) How are you getting on?

I have 18 days until my dissertation is due. I want it finished within 10 to allow time for checking and binding.

Tomorrow I must crack on with it - no excuses *sigh*

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #437 on: Oct 19, 2015, 06:05:15 PM »
Ok, who's studying this year?

Tell me I am not the only one... I do have fellow students but we are all working to a deadline of 26 October so I don't want to disturb them.

I say working, but actually I am wasting very precious time and having a stop the world I want to get off "moment".

:-\

Mutual moral support, anyone?

Mental Elf

« Reply #438 on: Oct 19, 2015, 08:52:33 PM »
Well, I'm finished studying but I know how it feels.

Small steps, one thing at a time. Remember you only need to do the next thing. :)

Offline fp

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #439 on: Oct 19, 2015, 10:19:36 PM »
I'm not. But I am finishing a novel, which is basically exactly like writing a thesis. Except no footnotes  :D

I may be checking back in soon - will start applying for a PhD once this bugger of a book is put to bed.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #440 on: Oct 19, 2015, 10:42:58 PM »
Thank you both :-* I am getting somewhere this evening. And I have a plan, thanks to my lovely wife. What kind of a book, fp? Sounds really exciting!

Offline fp

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #441 on: Oct 20, 2015, 12:30:20 PM »
LFL, I realised I totally left out the part where I said YOU CAN DO IT. I'm sorry, I thought it but I obviously didn't write it down.

The book is a novel set in 18th century London. I don't know if I am in any way correct in comparing finishing it to very late-stage pregnancy but I am definitely experiencing a mixture of "I'm so excited to finally see what you look like!" and "GET OUT OF MY BODY ALREADY THIS IS AWFUL". It's just been longlisted for a really nice prize so I need to get the draft into a decent enough state to be worth sending on for the shortlist.

I empathise with your "stop the world I want to get off" moment, I am doing everything but write. Everything. I also made a very comprehensive and doable plan last night, but I am not currently implementing it. Particularly as part of my plan was to realise I have been totally overthinking, and need to delete about 30k of hard-won words.

I have decamped to my mother's house in an attempt to avoid distractions, but she has non-mature students living next door and they play SO much London grime music SO late into the night, and scream a lot and do karaoke. I hate them. I wish I was them.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #442 on: Oct 20, 2015, 04:21:13 PM »
Thank you :-*

I was going to offer you a knife to kill your darlings with but I'm giving you a saw instead, with all the horror and spinechillingness that that entails. 

I'm thinking Toni Morrison thoughts, is that too much pressure? It's meant to be a strong woman writer supportive gesture :-*

Offline fp

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #443 on: Oct 20, 2015, 06:29:35 PM »
I need a chainsaw for these darlings  :'( and that really is the problem, too, I have been looking at these useless useless chapters going, 'gosh, I really have outdone myself in both style and intellect today, these thousands of words don't contribute anything at all but I bet readers will keep reading just for their pure excellence' ...nope. Gotta go.

Thank you  :-* a bit of Toni Morrison energy never goes amiss.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #444 on: Oct 20, 2015, 07:46:31 PM »
Save them in a dumping ground for a rainy day? You might be able to do something else with them one day...

Offline nismat

• Gingerbeer Devotee
« Reply #445 on: Oct 20, 2015, 10:11:16 PM »
Oh fp, that sound exceedingly painful!  :o  :'(

Offline fp

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #446 on: Oct 20, 2015, 11:24:53 PM »
Oh, it's OK. Just part of the process. All that stuff about how it's an iceberg and whatnot, only 10% is above the water.

I have an outtakes document, but to be honest, I've rarely if ever regretted deleting something.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #447 on: Oct 21, 2015, 02:26:26 AM »
One down, two to go by Monday. I started with the easiest and made a meal of it after all, but still. One down! Feeling chirpy for the first time in days. Phew!

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #448 on: Oct 28, 2015, 01:44:24 PM »
Finished the second and got an extension of 10 days for the third. Life is good!

Offline fp

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #449 on: Nov 02, 2015, 06:02:56 PM »
Well done, LFL! How are you feeling about your final deadline? More sorted?

In my trauma I forgot to post that I have finished and sent off that novel. Goodness me.

And, three days later, have just spotted the accompanying synopsis still sitting in the printer tray  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ bugger!