Author Topic: being a mature student  (Read 29965 times)

Offline Charlotte Mew

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • aka VV
Re: being a mature student
« Reply #30 on: Jul 24, 2010, 01:49:01 AM »
seconded on that.   

betterthanaverage

« Reply #31 on: Aug 23, 2010, 02:46:37 PM »
I've got the opportunity to do something different with my life so I'm thinking about studying for a postgraduate degree in journalism so that I have a proven skill I can take anywhere (hopefully)  and then later do an MA course in English ( part-time).

I'd like to work in an art environment and I believe that my experience in sales, marketing and administration will help me to get an internship/work experience. Am I too old for this. Is this a crazy idea?

Just thinking out loud.

Offline Deeper Purple

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #32 on: Aug 23, 2010, 03:40:51 PM »
I've got the opportunity to do something different with my life so I'm thinking about studying for a postgraduate degree in journalism so that I have a proven skill I can take anywhere (hopefully)  and then later do an MA course in English ( part-time).

I'd like to work in an art environment and I believe that my experience in sales, marketing and administration will help me to get an internship/work experience. Am I too old for this. Is this a crazy idea?

Just thinking out loud.

I know you are just thinking aloud... But:

You're most definately not too old!!  If there's passion and drive :)... and if you have weighed up the odds in terms of finance management, living etc... and if it's a question of whether it is simply too late for you to change your career path... If you do not pursue it, will it be a niggling desire/thought, will you be regretful?

Decisions, decisions...

You'll work it out...

skream

« Reply #33 on: Aug 26, 2010, 11:52:02 AM »
my boss has now talked me out of doing the most expensive and time consuming course one could ever do - it wouldn't really help my current career path and i don't think 6/7 years to qualify is something i'm keen to do at this point. i think i'd rather do something to help further my career, in a more specialized way, but looking into other options for 2011.

does anyone have any experience with doing a CIMA qualification ? its just an idea i'm having at the moment.

Offline Little_Nene

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • AKA-CBA
    • MyDeviantArtPage
« Reply #34 on: Aug 26, 2010, 12:17:21 PM »
CIMA no, but I am currently going back to do my level 4 NVQ of AAT and will be starting ACA after that for another 2-3years.

I'll be having one day off work a week so I still get the benifit of a full time job I haven't really found college too hard to go back to and i've been engoying it a lot more than when I was a teen. I do expect it to get harder at some point probley when I hit ACA and get into new ground that I haven't already covered on the job.
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 12:20:22 PM by Little_Nene »
"I am INVINCIBLE!!!"--Nene Romanova

skream

« Reply #35 on: Aug 26, 2010, 04:23:32 PM »
^ nice.

I'm not sure if it is too late to start with a CIMA. I was originally toying with the idea of completing an MBA. But a lot could happen in 6/7 years to warrant such a huge investment - personally and financially.

Hmm.

skream

« Reply #36 on: Aug 26, 2010, 04:28:35 PM »
And I'd rather not bore my clients to death Gantt charts either.

Offline ScarletBea

• Hybrid
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #37 on: Aug 26, 2010, 06:14:53 PM »
^ nice.

I'm not sure if it is too late to start with a CIMA. I was originally toying with the idea of completing an MBA. But a lot could happen in 6/7 years to warrant such a huge investment - personally and financially.

Hmm.

How old are you?
I'm 40 and I've thought of doing a CIMA (basically because I qualified abroad and here in england most companies require what they call 'proper' qualifications ::)), but I just feel that I can't concentrate as well anymore, and it'd require a load of work.
Also because I can't help but think that I'd just be learning about stuff that I've learnt already, and most of the things I use at my work anyway.

Would like to do some sort of a part-time course in an unrelated subject though... just to keep my mind expanding, hehe

Some companies pay for a MBA, you could try to check with your HR, if it'd help you grow within the company.

skream

« Reply #38 on: Aug 26, 2010, 08:04:34 PM »
I'm 30.

I could get my company to finance my MBA, but that would require me being tied to them for a certain number of years. I come across a lot of MBA grads in the industry I'm in and they just bore me to death with their textbook waffle - nothing is achieved or executed as a result.

I'm looking into the entry level certificate to the CIMA, that might be useful before launching into the full CIMA ? Could be good to gauge if I can really spend my time and energy on it..

Offline ScarletBea

• Hybrid
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #39 on: Aug 26, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »
Yes, the guy I manage is now in the last year of CIMA, and you need to start with the first level. He has 'after work hours' classes, taking 2 to 3 modules at a time, and manages fine.
You could try one single module at first.

If your company pays for the MBA, they might pay as well for the CIMA then, as it's much cheaper. Are you working in Management Accountancy then?

skream

« Reply #40 on: Aug 26, 2010, 08:22:27 PM »
No, its an auditing firm. I might talk to my boss about this then.

Offline ScarletBea

• Hybrid
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #41 on: Aug 26, 2010, 08:26:27 PM »
Eeeeek audit! :o
Come to Management Accounting ASAP!!!! ;D

skream

« Reply #42 on: Aug 26, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »
It gets worse - auditing digital advertising.. Its more technical then financial though I.e the approach, but yes, eeek !
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 08:36:59 PM by skream »

valerie

« Reply #43 on: Sep 07, 2010, 11:19:36 AM »
i will always be a student until my last breath

betterthanaverage

« Reply #44 on: Sep 21, 2010, 10:06:49 PM »

Just thinking out loud.

Iíve decided that this isnít a crazy idea after all. Iíve missed the deadline for postgraduate courses for this year but that gives me time to save up enough money to pay the fees. The MA course is about £7,000!

A  Creative Writing MA would be wonderful but a traditional English MA gives me more scope to branch out into other fields such as teaching.

For years Iíve had to put up with the myth that Media Studies isnít a proper degree even though I worked bloody hard on that course.

Maybe I need to do this not just to prove to myself that I didnít want waste my time by going to college but also because Iíll enjoy studying.

Iíve been treading water for too long and itís nice to have a plan for the future.
 :)