Author Topic: Ratbag's Reality Check - How to have a good birth  (Read 17549 times)

Offline ratbag

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • My name is Pippa and I am a pain in the arse
Re: Ratbag's Reality Check - How to have a good birth
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2010, 12:54:12 PM »
Hi Sherpa, your age alone should make no difference.  All the evidence regarding older mothers points to the fact that unless you have a pre-existing medical condition (like high bp or diabetes - both more common in older women) the only thing you are more likely to suffer from is interference from the medical profession... ::)

In terms of membrane sweeping it would help to know how far on you are.... the evidence for membrane sweeping is that it reduces the time from sweep to delivery by about 12-24 hours... in other words - women who have sweeps have their babies on average (the key point here is on average) 12-24 hours sooner than those who didn't have a sweep.  The NICE guideline doesn't recommend membrane sweeping before term....

In terms of repeated sweeps - everytime you have an internal the chances of bacteria being passed upwards into the birth canal is increased - if your waters are intact the risk from this is minimal - however some bacteria are able to cause rupture of membranes.  If your waters have broken I would never recommend excessive internals....

the choice is obviously yours.  You can also encourage labour with regular orgasms, clitoral and nipple stimulation.  Some women still swear by castor oil but a whole fresh pineapple has also been suggested too.  All of these interventions, including a sweep, will only work if you are ready to go into labour anyway....

Good luck

Offline Sherpa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Swinging!
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2010, 01:08:35 PM »
Thanks ratbag - waters are intact (though she said that they were bulging) so no fears about infections, it just occurred to me that all that rummaging could maybe make the placenta worse or something ... If it were just my age I would be resisting more strongly, but there's quite a poor placental family history so much as I think it would all probably be fine I am taking it a bit more seriously ...

Offline Hayjay

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2010, 03:18:48 PM »
Exciting times Sherpa  ;D ;D ;D - can't believe we are here after meeting up last August.  ;D  All the best for the birth.

Thanks Ratbag  ;)
Having a child is surely the most beautifully irrational act that two people in love can commit.

Offline Hayjay

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2010, 12:50:53 PM »
Question for Ratbag (or anybody who knows).

Baby's head has been on the 100th (>97.7) centile at 20 week scan and also at my 4d scan at 26 weeks.  Abdomen was abbout 80th and femur about 60th. Generally my fundal height has been 1-3cms over but not been measured for nearly 4 weeks.  I am due to go tomorrow for my 34 week check.  The question is do I merit a growth scan because of his big spud head?  I have read that tearing correlates directly to head circumference so this is playing on my mind a bit  :o.  Maybe he has normalised and it would be nice to know.  I am starting perineal massage this weekend and I know I will stretch but I am trying to go for the birth without fear/hypnotherapy thing and this is the bit that worries me  most - only because of the size issue  - not generally.  If they told me he was 75th I would feel happier.
Having a child is surely the most beautifully irrational act that two people in love can commit.

Offline nismat

• Gingerbeer Devotee
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2010, 02:13:26 PM »
I can't claim to be hugely knowledgeable, but I'm sure that it's the size/width of the baby's shoulders that is more important in relation to risk of tearing than the circumference of it's head - shoulders being wider than head!

Offline my sparkle instinct

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Bi-WINNING
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2010, 09:10:13 PM »
I know that size/weight estimates are supposed to have up to 20% margin of error when based on a scan - so it could be 80th %ile if that makes you feel any better?

Offline LouieB

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #51 on: Aug 17, 2010, 11:02:45 AM »
Hi everyone.  :)

I'm thinking of trying hypnobirthing. Can anyone suggest a good class or book? I'm in North London.

Louiebear

Offline nismat

• Gingerbeer Devotee
« Reply #52 on: Aug 17, 2010, 12:33:43 PM »
I bought Marie Mongan's Hypnobirthing book, which I think is a good starting point to find out if Hypnobirthing per se is for you (I think that Hypnobirthing is pretty much a trademark, but there are other programmes of using hypnotherapy for birth).. I found the book (and accompanying CD) too Americanised for me to get to grips with, without finding it annoying, and just too extreme; the idea of following such an intensive preparation process was too much for me, so I didn't investigate classes, which might well have given me a more balanced perspective. Her website is http://www.hypnobirthing.co.uk/marie_mongan.shtml
However, I did use a Natal Hypnotherapy preparation for birth CD http://www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk/ which I found much more approachable and useful, personally speaking. I only started using it in the last weeks of pregnancy (probably not until around 37/8 weeks!!), but you can of course use it much earlier. Nevertheless, I found it very helpful, both in approaching the birth in a calm manner, and in dealing with contractions when actually in labour.
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2010, 12:39:03 PM by nismat »

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Bi-WINNING
« Reply #53 on: Aug 17, 2010, 01:11:14 PM »
I used some cds which I loaded onto my MP3 - it wasn't hypnobirthing, it was another hypnotism one, but it was very good. Unfortunately my baby was born early so I only got to use it for about two weeks, but I used it in the hospital when I was very scared and I think it regulated my contractions and made them more productive. I was pretty much on my own the whole time in hospital so I needed something to focus on and it was really effective. I would definitely recommend! My friend used hypnobirthing and her labour was 3 hours and minimal pain.

Offline LouieB

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #54 on: Aug 18, 2010, 07:44:20 PM »
Thanks for the advice  :)

Yes, think it might be good to have a non-Americanized version...

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Bi-WINNING
« Reply #55 on: Aug 18, 2010, 07:54:53 PM »
Just checked and mine was the same one Nismat used - Natal Hypnotherapy. They have different versions for home or hospital birth - I did the homebirth one which is here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Natal-Hypnotherapy-Programme-Home-Birth/dp/1905220103/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282252585&sr=8-2-spell
I also read 3 brilliant books: Childbirth Without Fear, Birthing from Within and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, which all helped with confidence and knowledge of the birthing process.
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2010, 11:17:06 PM by maternal instinct »

Offline LouieB

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #56 on: Aug 19, 2010, 04:46:41 PM »
Thanks. I'll look them up on amazon.

I used the Natal Hypnotheraphy IVF Companion. It was good, pretty relaxing, and nice to go to sleep to when i was worried about the treatment - but the voice got a bit annoying after listening to it over and over. It wasn't really hypnosis though, more deep relaxation. Unless I'm immune to hypnosis!!

LB

Offline deemo

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #57 on: Jan 28, 2011, 03:29:02 PM »
Dear Ratbag -- I read your notes quite a few times during my pregnancy and they helped enormously, so thank you! Whilst the birth was not what we expected (it never is, is it) I used your visualisation of the storm and the waves which really helped my - very short - labour. Unfortunately at the very last minute they noticed a foot presenting, the baby was undiagnosed breach and we had an emergency section. But, all is well :). Thanks again.

Hetty

« Reply #58 on: Jan 28, 2011, 09:22:44 PM »
Thank you for your kind words.  What a shame it ended like that after such a quick labour - women's bodies are brilliant and I am sure you would have managed to give birth beautifully - and I am sure you will do in the future.

Ratbag (posting as Hetty....duh)

Offline blush

• Gingerbeer Newbie
    • www.gaydargirls.com/alongcat
« Reply #59 on: Mar 10, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »
on this topic i'd like to add the following advice: don't waste any time thinking the midwife knows what will work for YOU.  also, if your mother had one or many very quick, or difficult births, chancea are you might follow suit and it may well be worth talking it through with the midwife at the beginning.

i knew without doubt i wanted an epidural as i am very bad with any pain, but the midwife was of the opinion that as many of us as possible should "go natural" and raved about the great pain relieving effects of warm water in the birthing pool. initially she had me thinking she must be right, she's the midwife. by the time i was strong enough to say actually, i DO want the epidural i've been campaigning for all this time, it moved too quickly (4 hours in total, like mum...) and i had to go through the whole experience with only gas and air. usually i am very headstrong but when you're in a vulnerable position you might find yourself behaving very differently to how you think you will. i wish i'd stood up to her straight away while there was still time, so i could have had a less painful and stressful experience.

you know yourself and your limits better than anyone... do everything in your power to have the birth YOU want, not what the midwife wants, even if she/he means well.

and good luck, it's all worth it in the end ♥
the heart has its reasons, which the mind knows nothing of. - pascal