Author Topic: Guidelines  (Read 41627 times)

super sonic gin and tonic

Re: Guidelines
« Reply #30 on: Oct 12, 2009, 03:15:23 PM »
Can't we just acknowledge that a few things got a bit f*cked up and just move on from it? Getting irrate with Evict and the mods just isn't helpful. They can't change the past, and wanting someone to apologise for something they didn't have anything to do with seems, well... not very useful really.

betterthanaverage

« Reply #31 on: Oct 12, 2009, 03:26:53 PM »
Can't we just acknowledge that a few things got a bit f*cked up and just move on from it? Getting irrate with Evict and the mods just isn't helpful. They can't change the past, and wanting someone to apologise for something they didn't have anything to do with seems, well... not very useful really.

If you are referring to me, I am not irate. I think it's perfectly reasonable that if a GB got banned when she shouldn't have been that this is acknowledged by at least sending an IM to that person and dealing with it rather than pretending it didn't happen.

Against my better judgement (frankly I don't see why I should have to do it) I will IM Evict.  ::)

Salamand*r

« Reply #32 on: Oct 13, 2009, 12:40:26 PM »
This is the place to ask questions about rules and regs on the messageboards.

Although this has been in place for a long time, the moderation team thought it important that you know the warnings and bannings procedure.  This is the general plan, there will of course be exceptions to the rule so to speak.

Members will be issued a warning upon a breach of the membership agreement.  If a member has 3 active warnings at any one time then they may be subject to a ban.  Depending on the circumstances, this ban may be temporary or permanent.

This is news to me. The procedure I was following was issued by Steel (and published here) in something like December 2007, if my memory serves correctly (it's in the Moderator Commentary area). That was two warnings and then a lifetime ban. Temporary bans were used when people needed to cool their heels for a few days.

What appears not to have been cleared up is whether warnings will stand on a person's account forever or whether they will last a fixed duration, as I was intending to introduce. It seems unfair that a warning should just sit on someone's account indefinitely. Your choice of the word "active" to describe some bans suggests that a warning will last a certain period of time before expiring. Is that right? If so, how long does each warning last? There was no information on that when I was researching.

pthbbbt

« Reply #33 on: Oct 13, 2009, 12:58:44 PM »
a warning lasts for a month. I read that either in this thread or the one in archive when it was asked previously.

actually it makes sense to me if you get three active warnings.

Sal, since you have moved on from your Mercury role, it might be parsimonious to move on in your present incarnation as well. I believe we are all trying to just move along.

If you have something personal to take up it might be perhaps better served if you did it in IM.

I'm not a mod or anything, but I would like to personally see this moved forward instead of repeatedly going back.

but y'know, that's just me. And I only count for one person.

betterthanaverage

« Reply #34 on: Oct 13, 2009, 01:04:31 PM »
This is the place to ask questions about rules and regs on the messageboards.

Although this has been in place for a long time, the moderation team thought it important that you know the warnings and bannings procedure.  This is the general plan, there will of course be exceptions to the rule so to speak.

Members will be issued a warning upon a breach of the membership agreement.  If a member has 3 active warnings at any one time then they may be subject to a ban.  Depending on the circumstances, this ban may be temporary or permanent.

This is news to me. The procedure I was following was issued by Steel (and published here) in something like December 2007, if my memory serves correctly (it's in the Moderator Commentary area). That was two warnings and then a lifetime ban. Temporary bans were used when people needed to cool their heels for a few days.

What appears not to have been cleared up is whether warnings will stand on a person's account forever or whether they will last a fixed duration, as I was intending to introduce. It seems unfair that a warning should just sit on someone's account indefinitely. Your choice of the word "active" to describe some bans suggests that a warning will last a certain period of time before expiring. Is that right? If so, how long does each warning last? There was no information on that when I was researching.

To quote my namesake: I don't believe it.  ::)

*Slaps hand to head in exasperation wondering whether there is anything more surreal than GB and hopes she wakes up like Pam to find that Bobby isn't dead but taking a shower.*
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2009, 01:10:15 PM by Victoria Meldrew (bta) »

evenstar

« Reply #35 on: Oct 13, 2009, 01:17:10 PM »

Sal, since you have moved on from your Mercury role, it might be parsimonious to move on in your present incarnation as well. I believe we are all trying to just move along.

I think it is important for the rest of us to move on and see Salamander as just that, a regular user like the rest of us who can ask questions publicly like the rest of us.
The three warning thing is a change, it was always two before, so I don't see it as any problem that Salamander has highlighted that, there will be a few other  memebers who don't log on frequently who might have missed this so might be handy for them to have it brought to their attention too.
As long as we stick the questions about giudlines then we have no problem here.

pthbbbt

« Reply #36 on: Oct 13, 2009, 01:19:41 PM »
I don't see it as any problem that Salamander has highlighted that
nope not at all. I was refering to the personal remark.

bowing out as I have no desire to get emeshed further.

betterthanaverage

« Reply #37 on: Oct 13, 2009, 01:25:32 PM »
It might be helpful if there was some definitive information about how long a warning stays on a beeries' record and the number of bans that will lead to a lifetime ban.

Salamand*r

« Reply #38 on: Oct 13, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »
a warning lasts for a month. I read that either in this thread or the one in archive when it was asked previously.

It would be useful to have that included here in these guidelines, then, wouldn't it?

If you have something personal to take up it might be perhaps better served if you did it in IM.

I don't think you mean parsimonious? But I get the general meaning. I have no idea why you think I have something personal to take up. It's a valid point to ask for the information in the Guidelines given here (above) to be full and complete, don't you think?

Some of the problems in the past and present relate to the lack of a complete understanding of the rules as they stand and what changes might need to be made to make everyone's experience here an equitable one.

pthbbbt

« Reply #39 on: Oct 13, 2009, 01:52:17 PM »
I don't think you mean parsimonious?

sal...

But I get the general meaning. I have no idea why you think I have something personal to take up. It's a valid point to ask for the information in the Guidelines given here (above) to be full and complete, don't you think?

as I said, I'm bowing out. I'm sure others can answer this.

fetishkitty

« Reply #40 on: Oct 13, 2009, 02:35:29 PM »

Maybe she meant pompous...

(Sorry, but you really did make that one too easy)

kitty

Offline Vandyke

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #41 on: Oct 13, 2009, 02:44:01 PM »
What about perspicacious?

pthbbbt

« Reply #42 on: Oct 13, 2009, 02:46:28 PM »

Salamand*r

« Reply #43 on: Oct 14, 2009, 01:11:42 PM »

Maybe she meant pompous...

(Sorry, but you really did make that one too easy)

kitty

It's true. It's bound to be pompous if you ask someone what they really mean.  ::)

Still, be nice if questions asked by the users in this thread were answered.

super sonic gin and tonic

« Reply #44 on: Oct 14, 2009, 05:55:22 PM »
I'm sure while the period of transition is happening that there are workloads that people weren't anticipating. I suspect that if it's not urgent we can all be patient, and if it is urgent, use the 'report to mod' button innit.  :)