Author Topic: Non-rhetorical questions that are too trivial to warrant a thread of their own  (Read 448200 times)

Offline Chewwy

• U16 Doubles Table Tennis Champion 2018
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
HP.  I think it's the browser combined with Windows 10.  Was Mac based before and never had this problem, but they're so over priced atm. 

I should probably change to Chrome but it niggles me.
Hear me RoaaAAARRRRRrrrrr.......... purrrrRRRR.

Offline hellohowareyoutoday

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Emoticons on here? Or elsewhere?

Some things I would check: Java problems? Adobe flash not updated? Upgrade graphics drivers? Language/font packs on PC not installed?

Start by seeing if a different browser works. If not Chrome or Firefox, there's also Opera or Microsoft Edge. Maybe try Opera.

Offline Chewwy

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
Thanks.  I think I'll try Chrome first, despite it making the google bar jump up to the address bar - that's my main grate with it.

Am a bit out of the loop so havn't heard of many of the others, except for Edge, which is what most new laptops are doomed with.

Cheersmedears, will let you know how it goes. x

Offline MzB

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Firefox is pretty good Chewwy. It's the Editor's choice at PC mag, and is open source, not for profit, and good on privacy.

Offline Chewwy

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
Thanks MzB. 

It's a toss up between Chrome and Firefox atm.  Mind you, I used to swear by Firefox... :)

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
My book group has picked an Edna O'Brien book for June. I went along with this because lots of members love her and the newest member has suggested this in my paid group and I didn't go with it. Her sentences bug me but I can get over that.

But now I have read some reviews prior to ordering and don't know what to do. There's a gratuitously violent rape scene in this book and I had nightmares for years after reading something similar by another writer. I felt physically sick just seeing that book on my shelf and got rid of it (I 'never' get rid of books). Should I read it and hope that the 25 years since the last time make it, with this advance warning, bearable? Or should I tell the group I won't be coming and won't be reading this one?  Or should I ask if we can choose a different book?

By the way, there's something weird about the reviews. The newspapers don't spell out that this one scene is hugely disturbing, but ordinary people on Goodreads do. Hmmm....

• Gingerbeer Diva
Would it be possible to skip that section? Maybe you could ask online for someone who's read it to tell you which pages to avoid?

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
^ I could do that. I know it starts with a particular event, i.e.what leads to it. I would just need to check if that's the only place it is, and if it's treated as one linear event. If it's a splice back and for thing spread out over several pages that wouldn't work.

Plus I don't know if I want to have this book in my house/on my kindle :-\

And yes, I know it's weird that I can consider reading strategies while I don't even know if I want to go near this book.

• Gingerbeer Diva
I'm thinking now that it's probably better to skip the book. It's already giving you negative vibes / an uncomfortable feeling. I think it's highly unlikely that the pros of reading it will outweigh the cons.

Offline Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
Which earplugs are good? I am a light sleeper. Worst are very early mornings. During night am OK, it's quiet.So need something to be able to hear alarm but not noises in the distance.
“Expectations are resentments under construction.”
― Anne Lamott

Offline Amphelise

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • Christine, Wondering
^ I could do that. I know it starts with a particular event, i.e.what leads to it. I would just need to check if that's the only place it is, and if it's treated as one linear event. If it's a splice back and for thing spread out over several pages that wouldn't work.

Plus I don't know if I want to have this book in my house/on my kindle :-\

And yes, I know it's weird that I can consider reading strategies while I don't even know if I want to go near this book.

I'd stay right away from it. I'm pretty sensitive, and stuff that bothers me stays with me, so I've started just avoiding such things entirely.
"Well, at least I'm not a time-traveling, shape-shifting robot operated by miniaturized cross people. Which I've got to admit, I didn't see coming." ~ The Doctor

Offline Tired, Confused & Duped

• Gingerbeer Virgin
Another vote for not reading the Edna O'Brien novel. I'd also refuse to discuss it afterwards if anyone thought they could off load.

It's her fame I suppose, that accounts for the critics not saying they're squeamish about gratuitous violence.

Online Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
LfL Personally I would not only not read it but object loudly and if everyone in the club wasn't aware of all of that it might be a good thing they were!

Offline Tired, Confused & Duped

• Gingerbeer Virgin
^But doesn't that invite arguments in favour of the value of literary investigations into the psychology of passive women who come to a bad end as a consequence of being drawn to violent men? I'd not want to have that discussion, for quite similar reasons to why I'd not want to read the book.

A compromise might be to direct attention to the reviews on the UK site for Amazon because the reasons for the objections are common to many reviewers. They do strongly dislike the violence and many say that they wish they'd not read it because it has stayed with them, but they also criticise the quality of the writing, saying that the characterisation is shallow, the plotting absurd and unbelievable, that the plot does not hang together and reads as a series of vignettes or in the words of one person, as nightmares. All these are good reasons for not reading this novel.