Author Topic: Non-rhetorical questions that are too trivial to warrant a thread of their own  (Read 481553 times)

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Sounds like they are if they ignored your GP.

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Yeah. :(
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that transwomen aren't shouting at me to suck their balls. - Hhayt

oldbutnew...

My straight friend is living with her boyfriend.  They have been together almost two years.  She would like to get married but when a mutual friend asked him when are they getting married he said he doesnt want to.   Do we tell our friend before she gets deeper into him and seriously gets hurt.  She has not asked him about their future but she has said she woul marry him.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2017, 10:50:03 AM by cigarettes and matches »

Offline Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
 Iíd leave well enough alone if I were you. Itís never a good idea to get embroiled in someone elseís relationship. Things get twisted around and invariably end up being your fault, plus itís really none of your business, to be honest. 
the summer is ended and we are not yet saved

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Why do tweeters keep showing up in my feed after I've unfollowed them?
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that transwomen aren't shouting at me to suck their balls. - Hhayt

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
Has anyone ever had a home treadmill? Did you use it? Or did it just take up space and gather dust?

I need to get more exercise (of course) and enjoy walking but I calculated yesterday that to do the legendary 10,000 steps I'd have to walk for about 80 minutes and I'm finding it really hard to fit that into the day (I work from home so I can't just incorporate it into my commute, for example). It seems an obvious answer to get a treadmill at home then I could use it in all weathers, any time of day and catch up on tv at the same time. But I also suspect that, in reality, it would be a large and expensive white elephant.

Any advice?
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
What if you put any old mat in front of your tv (to protect your floor from getting worn out in one spot) and do some kind of running/knee raising on the spot activity. If you succeed in building this into your daily routine, then the chances of actually using a machine in the same way would be higher, wouldn't they? On the other hand, you could save yourself a load of dosh and continue with the doormat ;D

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Have you succeeded in building this into your daily routine?

[...]

One of my neighbours had a running machine and that's the only one I've used. The things that stood out for me were 1) the amount of space it takes up, equivalent to a sofa, 2) the ugliness of it, 3) the sound of the plastic casing squeaking when the machine was being used. For these reasons, I'd not consider getting one unless I had a spare room to put it and I'd tested a few models to try to find one that did not make a sound when in use.

As for the exercise itself, it's incredibly boring but trying to make it more interesting by increasing the speed of the treadmill belt meant that the length of time I used it was reduced because I can't walk at such a speed for too long, while keeping the belt (it may be called something else) at a more sensible speed meant it felt like I could go on indefinitely. In other words, it's not only that walking on a treadmill is incredibly dull, it's something about the nature of the type of exercise itself that I had no patience for. (I may also have little patience for most other gym type exercises but as a non gym goer I can't comment.)

A few years ago I bought a mini trampoline, this, https://www.rebound-uk.com/pro-gym-rebounder. One thing that convinced me it was a reasonable purchase was that I couldn't find any second hand ones, while the cheap varieties were very plentiful. The worst thing about this trampoline is that the legs are painted with a thin coat of black paint that flakes off when the legs are closed or opened, other than that it's OK. It's still a large ugly lump that I haven't really found a convenient place for, it's currently leaning against a wall in the kitchen for use when I'm waiting for dinner to cook or at some other sporadic moment. The springs make a noise when jumped on, and I have floorboard floors but my immediate neighbours say they can't hear it. We haven't tested this exhaustively. I think it's probably inaudible in my kitchen because theirs has a concrete floor.

I think a dog would be the best solution for getting exercise.

Edited to add an alternative walking suggestion: can you shop for groceries less efficiently? I am just about to walk to the shops to buy milk, which I could have got yesterday but as I didn't, I have an excuse for walking somewhere. If you live within a 10-15 minute walk from a supermarket, could you do the same? It will eat into your day probably by 30 minutes door to door but there's at least some walking involved and with some luck, some sunshine too.

My NRQ: I need sincere sounding phrases for an application for a 'worthy' type of job, as opposed to all the rest I've done which are well within the category of making the rich richer. What are the words please, to explain an ambition to become a salaried do gooder?
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2018, 01:59:14 PM by the ganze metsieh »

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
The last job I successfully applied for, I wrote down effusive, idealist phrases that were straight from the heart. I got the job.

The hideous ps is that I hated it within weeks and handed in my notice within two months of starting, and counted the days to leaving. I still stand by what I said when I applied though.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Have you succeeded in building this into your daily routine?

No, I only thought of this because Musette asked her question. I am toying with the idea, however....

Offline mint

• Gingerbeer Diva
Do you definitely like being on a treadmill as opposed to something like a rowing machine or exercise bike? Might be worth going to a gym (some offer free day passes as a trial) and trying out all of the stationary machines to see which one you prefer?

Or (what I'd prefer) is just going outside and walking for 20 mins but I know this isn't doable for everyone and the whole point for you might be something you can do inside at home as you mentioned.

I think the most important thing about whether you'd use it is whether you like being on a treadmill or not. I find walking on a treadmill very different to walking outside. But it could be that you love it and it's really easy to fit in 5 or 10 min bursts while listening to music or watching the TV.

I had an exercise bike at home and did actually use it quite a lot (daily).

** You can rent treadmills! Might be worth a try? **

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Thank you all for your really thoughtful and helpful responses.

A good friend recently got a dog and they say it's the best thing they've ever done as regards getting regular exercise. I just don't want a pet though (although other friends who live nearby have offered to lend me their dog to walk, which could work!).

Taking a longer route to the shops is a good idea. I do my big weekly shop by car as there's no way I could carry it, but I pop out for things like milk and bread fairly regularly. I usually go to the Sainsbury's  Local round the corner (4 mins each way, tops) but yesterday I walked to a bigger branch further away and it was a 45 min round trip (not including the half hour I spent in the shop!). Still only half of what I'm aiming for but it's a start.

I have a big trampoline in the garden for the kids but I can't jump or bounce - I have tried it but it makes me feel sick :-X

I think the thing that appeals about walking is that it feels like you've achieved something, and it is nice to get some 'fresh' air and a change of scenery. If people had immediately gone 'yes, getting a treadmill is the best thing I've ever done' then I would have considered it but the feeling I'm getting is that it only works if you actually like going on a treadmill. But renting one to try it out might be an option...

Anyway, lots of food for thought, thanks! :)

ETA: I have been to gyms over the years and I always preferred the bike to the treadmill, so maybe a bike would be better.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2018, 10:50:40 PM by Musette »

oldbutnew...

Thank you all for your really thoughtful and helpful responses.

A good friend recently got a dog and they say it's the best thing they've ever done as regards getting regular exercise. I just don't want a pet though (although other friends who live nearby have offered to lend me their dog to walk, which could work!).

Taking a longer route to the shops is a good idea. I do my big weekly shop by car as there's no way I could carry it, but I pop out for things like milk and bread fairly regularly. I usually go to the Sainsbury's  Local round the corner (4 mins each way, tops) but yesterday I walked to a bigger branch further away and it was a 45 min round trip (not including the half hour I spent in the shop!). Still only half of what I'm aiming for but it's a start.

I have a big trampoline in the garden for the kids but I can't jump or bounce - I have tried it but it makes me feel sick :-X

I think the thing that appeals about walking is that it feels like you've achieved something, and it is nice to get some 'fresh' air and a change of scenery. If people had immediately gone 'yes, getting a treadmill is the best thing I've ever done' then I would have considered it but the feeling I'm getting is that it only works if you actually like going on a treadmill. But renting one to try it out might be an option...

Anyway, lots of food for thought, thanks! :)

ETA: I have been to gyms over the years and I always preferred the bike to the treadmill, so maybe a bike would be better.

i have never liked the gym but I get my excise through dancing.  Its great fun and you meet people and the music is nice.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRG3zi6jpMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EizTmpHACFA   :D

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2018, 11:16:01 PM by cigarettes and matches »

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Thanks c&m, that's also a good idea :)