Author Topic: Non-rhetorical questions that are too trivial to warrant a thread of their own  (Read 484109 times)

hellohowareyoutoday

Hmm. I would imagine you would have the most luck doing the process in discrete steps of first 1) Windows phone --> PC, 2) PC - Android phone. Sometimes the different phones don't play nicely with each other.

It is also possible that the format they are saved in could be some sort of Windows-only format (like if they end in .wma). I remember there being more 'universal' ways to save music files, and some would be a pain to play on other systems. Perhaps you could convert the wma ones (if there are any) to mp3 files.

Offline pathpink

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
I would second the idea of putting the micro sd card into an sd adapter so that it can go into the pc and be detected as another drive and then you can copy the files onto the pc.

Windows phones and Android phones see the micro sd card in a different way, creating their own file structure that is not always transferable.
Best way is to move the files to the pc so the micro sd card is empty, then put the empty card into the android phone so that the android phone can set up the micro sd card in the format it uses.

Then put it back into the adapter and into the pc, copy the music files to the music folder, videos to the video folder and so on.
Then put the micro sd card back in the Android phone and all should be OK.

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
So, NTC got her GCSE results yesterday.
She did brilliantly. I want to shout it from the rooftops because she deserves huge congratulations (she worked her socks off and her grades were well earned), but at the same time I don't want to appear to be boasting, so I haven't mentioned anywhere, except here. Am I doing her a disservice? Or is any mention of it (including this one!) distasteful? :-\
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
Why is it considered boasting to talk about someone else's achievements? This is not a rhetorical question. Musette's dilemma is real, and there are people who would consider this boasting. But it was not Musette's achievement, it was that of a close family member.  Also, if NTC says 'wow, a kid in my class got 8 A stars', that's not boasting, but if NTC says 'I got ......' , then that is?

So is it less boastful if you add information like, 'I am so happy my hard work paid off, because now I can go to ...../ do the course I wanted to to' ?

Results are for celebrating, aren't they? What if someone didn't do well, or their kid didn't? Isn't their disappointment partly because they want the shouting from the rooftops feeling too? What if we stopped celebrating achievement, would that be a good thing because no one would feel bad that they can't join in the celebrations (yet), or would that a) make life less joyful because of the reduction in high points in your life, and/or lower everyone's achievement and ambition in the long run?

Is ambition a good or bad thing?

Oh dear oh dear, what a lot of non-rhetorical questions!

Meanwhile, CONGRATULATIONS, NTC! And I hope you will be celebrating together, at the very least with cake or a day trip or whatever you guys like to do together!

Where I live, most people put out a flag, literally, to celebrate passing school leaving exams. Some flags go up a few weeks later, after the retakes. And, confession, I do know someone who took a couple of years extra who refused to put up a flag. This made and makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. They did, however, do the other celebratory things like going out for a meal with family.

But this public visual shouting from the rooftops every year in June always makes me feel happy for these people I don't even know:

« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2017, 10:27:57 AM by Lust for Life »

Offline Sorted.

• Slutclique Fluffer
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Hold your beliefs lightly.
Mussette...you should definitely 'boast', my love.
Be an out and proud mum and NTC deserves a shout out.  True story.

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Aww, thanks Sorted. She does deserve a shout out; I guess I just don't want to feel that I'm rubbing the noses in it of anyone who didn't do so well :-\

Good questions, LfL. There seems to be a British tradition of playing down success and not wanting to appear 'too clever'. But I'm terribly proud of her (she also deals with her ASD and gender transition, so it's not an easy ride).

So, for the record, she got five A*s, seven As and a B (music, since that's what people have asked me).
Her treat (her request) was a fry up at our local greasy spoon ;D

Offline Wolfgang

• Gingerbeer Goddess
She did 13 GCSE's?! :o
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that transwomen aren't shouting at me to suck their balls. - Hhayt

[...]

Thanks re the micro SD card question. Hellohowareyoutoday, you were right about the format. I only need to install a program to convert my music library and everything will be grand.

Shepn naches Musette,
http://yiddishwordoftheweek.tumblr.com/post/315848528/naches-%D7%A0%D7%97%D7%AA

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
Aww, thanks Sorted. She does deserve a shout out; I guess I just don't want to feel that I'm rubbing the noses in it of anyone who didn't do so well :-\

Good questions, LfL. There seems to be a British tradition of playing down success and not wanting to appear 'too clever'. But I'm terribly proud of her (she also deals with her ASD and gender transition, so it's not an easy ride).

So, for the record, she got five A*s, seven As and a B (music, since that's what people have asked me).
Her treat (her request) was a fry up at our local greasy spoon ;D

Congratulations NTC!!!  :D
Tell her she is an international celebrity  8)

Offline Marty.

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
She did great Musette.

Well done NTC.   :)

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Thanks Grey, Marty and פֿאַרבלאָנדזשעט :D

Yes Wolfie, she did! As is so often the case, I am in awe of my own child.
Here is the full list:
English Literature A*
Spanish A*
Maths A*
Further Maths A*
Latin Language A*
Physics A (but school getting it re-marked as only 1 point off an A*)
Chemistry A
Biology A
English Language A
Latin Literature A
Geography A
Greek A
Music B

She's going to do Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology for A level, working towards her long-held (since primary school) ambition to pursue a career as a palaeontologist.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
That's lovely, Musette! And what an amazing choice of subjects, too :D

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Thanks LfL. She is just interested in everything (but mainly dinosaurs)!  :)

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Ok, me again!
So, NOS (17) wants to go to Notting Hill Carnival tomorrow. I've never been. Does anyone have any advice on what he should/shouldn't do or where he should/should't go, or anything else at all? Thanks.

[...]

Just the usual precautions in crowds, nothing of value in back pockets, including a phone. Leave when most people start leaving, I think trouble happens more towards the end. Take a bottle of water. Don't buy a whistle. Take rubbish home, the bins are inadequate and the streets are full of litter afterwards. I used to live nearby. Re the phone, I'd guess that if he has a good one which most teenagers do, he should be aware of who's looking at it when he's using it. Royal Oak might be a better bet than the nearer stations. (There's a really loud helicopter immediately over my garden while I'm writing this.)