Author Topic: Non-rhetorical questions that are too trivial to warrant a thread of their own  (Read 452601 times)

Online cigarettes and matches

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
^ Sometimes it is easier to lie to get out of a situation.
Music isn't my hobby, it's my passion.

Offline Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
Why do people lie?

I can only assume it is because they cannot handle/deal with the truth.

Even worse, why do people tell lies about you behind your back?
Because they are worse than you, they are dealing with their own  unhappiness in that way, they are simply sick but don't last for long  ;D
“Expectations are resentments under construction.”
― Anne Lamott

theonlywayisup

Why do people lie?

I can only assume it is because they cannot handle/deal with the truth.

Even worse, why do people tell lies about you behind your back?
Because they are worse than you, they are dealing with their own  unhappiness in that way, they are simply sick but don't last for long  ;D

Very true. If only everyone in the world could just be honest and truthful.

theonlywayisup

^ Sometimes it is easier to lie to get out of a situation.

Occasionally...... If you want to protect a friend rather than hurt her feelings... For example..If she says, I love this dress, I feel so happy and confident in it.... Then it's ok to agree with her and tell a white lie because her happiness is what is important. But... other than that, No way. Liars are not good. Fake people. Incapable of telling the truth, meaning they cannot be trusted. Honesty is the best policy.

I cannot stand liars. It means they are dishonest and not to be trusted under any circumstances.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
I very rarely lie. I am probably going to lie to someone soon about a surprise present I received in the post and haven't thanked them for yet. I didn't do that immediately (because I was on my way out the door to visit my mother-in-law for the weekend when I found it) and that makes me feel terrible. I was going to lie and say it got buried under some newspapers and I only just found it, but I hate lying, so I still haven't done it. Actually, now, I think I should phone him up and tell him exactly this. Thanks Marty!

I was (not legally) married to a compulsive liar for over a decade and didn't even realise for most of that time. I thought she lied a lot to other people, but I thought she wouldn't do that to me ::). Eventually, that pretty much cured me of any lying I might have done myself. Even those white lies about nice dresses etc, I try to work around by complimenting some aspect that I genuinely like. E.g., hideous dress with gorgeous buttons: 'Don't you just love my new dress?' - 'Wow, those buttons are fantastic!'

Since I started doing this, I find my relationships with the world at large have improved. Sometimes I give those kind of compliments unasked now, which I never used to. And no, that doesn't always mean I think your dress or shirt is hideous if I compliment the buttons! I mean, I learned from this that people love a meaningful compliment. Spread a little happiness!

Offline Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
Yes, LFL. authenticity then attracts authentic people and good relationships. Sometimes people lie and they hurt themselves most because they can't form relationships with people without trust. Without trust it is not possible to have any relationship. They end up alone.
― Anne Lamott

theonlywayisup

I very rarely lie. I am probably going to lie to someone soon about a surprise present I received in the post and haven't thanked them for yet. I didn't do that immediately (because I was on my way out the door to visit my mother-in-law for the weekend when I found it) and that makes me feel terrible. I was going to lie and say it got buried under some newspapers and I only just found it, but I hate lying, so I still haven't done it. Actually, now, I think I should phone him up and tell him exactly this. Thanks Marty!

I was (not legally) married to a compulsive liar for over a decade and didn't even realise for most of that time. I thought she lied a lot to other people, but I thought she wouldn't do that to me ::). Eventually, that pretty much cured me of any lying I might have done myself. Even those white lies about nice dresses etc, I try to work around by complimenting some aspect that I genuinely like. E.g., hideous dress with gorgeous buttons: 'Don't you just love my new dress?' - 'Wow, those buttons are fantastic!'

Since I started doing this, I find my relationships with the world at large have improved. Sometimes I give those kind of compliments unasked now, which I never used to. And no, that doesn't always mean I think your dress or shirt is hideous if I compliment the buttons! I mean, I learned from this that people love a meaningful compliment. Spread a little happiness!

You are very welcome Lust for Life and congratulations on your new job.  :D

Online cigarettes and matches

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
I am about to buy my first dishwasher   :o.  When purchasing a flat or house what is more important.  Do you want a decent size kitchen?  Fortunately i have a good size kitchen but i have been in some homes where the kitchen is so small that you can just about get two people in and there is no room to move.  Also i must have a bathroom with a bath.  Some bathrooms in flats just have a shower.    So what do you go for?   A friend of mine has her own flat with a tiny kitchen and she can just about move in it but she has a patio garden.   I would rather have a larger kitchen.  Having a balcony or patio are not important.  If i want to sit out i can go to the park.
Music isn't my hobby, it's my passion.

Offline hellohowareyoutoday

• Gingerbeer Diva
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
What's the magic minimum number of likes your profile picture has to get in order for you to be considered only a moderate loser, and not a complete loser? Six? Eleven? Something else? Answers on a postcard. Or in this thread.

Offline Chewwy

• U16 Doubles Table Tennis Champion 2018
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm an okay arsehole.
Oh, you've raised the bar high - I've learnt to accept way less than that.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2017, 05:20:58 AM by Chewwy »
Hear me RoaaAAARRRRRrrrrr.......... purrrrRRRR.

• Gingerbeer Diva
Me too. Eleven?! I would feel like Oprah Winfrey.  :D

Offline Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
Zero  ;)
― Anne Lamott

Offline the ganze metsieh

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
What's the best way to get ripped music files on to a micro SD card for an Android phone? I've done various things which have variously not worked properly, including turning it off and on again.

• Gingerbeer Diva
Are the files on a computer?

I would do one of two methods:

1) Transfer music from computer to phone using USB cable. Once on phone, send them from the phone's own storage to the micro SD card.
2) Get a micro SD to SD card adapter. This will allow you to connect the micro SD card to your computer and go from there.

Offline the ganze metsieh

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
Thanks for answering. If you can bear this, I'll go through what I've tried and what happened.

The files are on my PC. They're mostly ripped from CDs but some were added to old MP3 players by friends (and then I must have stuck them on the PC at some point) and others I downloaded from the internet. Windows Media Player will play all of them.

The whole collection is on another micro SD card in a Windows phone. When I tried simply putting the card in the new Android phone it said something like 'this is corrupted' and deleted all the non Roman alphabet titled files which Windows handles perfectly. (It's not corrupted and the old phone has restored the files.)

Then I plugged the Android phone into the PC with a USB cable, copied the music folder and tried to paste it into the micro SD card. A dialogue box said it'd take an hour and 25 minutes. I did other things in the meanwhile. Then I had a look. On the PC, the micro SD showed it had got up to about letter D (it's 32GB and has loads of space left, the entire folder I want to put there is about 15GB). On the phone it didn't show even up to letter D but more confusingly, of the files it's stored, it will only play those that have not come from ripped CDs.

I suspect that I am trying to get a 2017 Android phone to work with the same level of ease as a floppy disk in the days of Windows 3.1. Why won't it do what I want?

I haven't yet tried the micro SD card in an adaptor in a USB adaptor on the PC but won't this be the same asjust taking out the micro SD card I had in the old Windows phone and putting it in the Android phone? I'm going to do it anyway.

Re your advice to transfer first to the phone's internal storage and then to the SD card: is there a reason for this step? It'll have to be two steps because the internal storage is only 16GB and something might explode if I try using all of it up in one go. (I tried aleady to get the phone to accept the card as internal storage but it won't, it has to be external only.)

Do I need to install an alternative music player? (Supposing I manage to get the files on the card.)