Author Topic: Creativity Section - relaunch  (Read 5630 times)

Steel

Creativity Section - relaunch
« on: Apr 21, 2009, 01:56:30 PM »
I have finally got around to changing this section to incorporate all sorts of creative outputs. I appreciate I haven't been particularly imaginative in its name but hoped you'd agree it does what it says on the tin? :D

Over to you...

Offline simian

• Gingerbeer Newbie
Re: Creativity Section - relaunch
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:09:22 PM »
I'm looking to contact other lesbian artists out there. I'm doing an MA in Fine Art in London, and wd appreciate contacts with feminists/lesbians interested in Fine Art. My work is 3D/sculpture/installation and currently involves cutting up chairs/symbols of patriarchy, and other pieces with furniture and stuff.. Just been to see a show with a feminist mother/single parent called Paula Chambers, not a lesbian I'm sure but thoughtful and interesting work (at A gallery called Gift in Vyner st, London.) anyone interested?  :)
This section seems ot have been mostly writing in the past is that true? :)

Old Brock

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:30:14 PM »
Hello :)

There was some visual arts on here, but it tends to mostly be writing. Your description of your work made me think of some of Doris Salcedo's pieces. Have you seen them? Wardrobes and tables, muslin and hair and plaster. Very evocative. The title of one of the exhibitions is 'Unland', but she also did some work with the shoes of disappeared women from Columbia.

Offline smiling

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 10:52:15 PM »
..auch die Ruhe nach dem Sturm
is nur die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
(Georg Danzer)

Offline simian

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 06:29:36 PM »
Yes I love Doris Salcedo's work, and her statement that she 'cant not' be a political artist in her country...
I've just seen a rather fun small show in Cambridge Heath Rd 242 I think, which is called cash for capital and made me laugh out loud.
Where are the visual artists?  There's a group called Womens Art Movement (WAM) and I liked one of their shows at the Crypt St Pancras, and am thinking of joining.  Want to set up a lesbian/feminist show next year.. pass it on.

Offline reddovetail

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2011, 10:29:12 PM »
Hi  :) I don't know that I'm an artist, but I really love visiting galleries and would like to meet people who enjoy doing that sort of thing and talking about it after... something like that.

Suzywongster

« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2011, 05:25:21 AM »
^ Mightbe worth posting thatin themaking friends section. You're likely to get more takers!

Offline simian

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2011, 10:50:58 PM »
Looks like this is a dead duck, since there are only 2 posts since my laast one last year.
However I will persist and tell you all to come to our Feminist art show in Stoke Newington, on weds to suns this week and wed to sat next week. At The Gallery, Edwards Lane, off Stoke NewiongtonChurch street. at least 6 lesbians ae exhibiting. see 73women.webs.com for more details.

Offline Evan

• Astral Traveller
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • aka Thor, Tree, RQP
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2011, 11:25:40 PM »
the other link didn't work I found it here
http://73women.webs.com/ looks interesting
Earth my body
Water my blood
Air my breath
And fire by spirit!

Offline essence

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • It's hard enough remembering opinions... Reasons?
« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2011, 02:14:36 PM »
Yes I love Doris Salcedo's work, and her statement that she 'cant not' be a political artist in her country...
I've just seen a rather fun small show in Cambridge Heath Rd 242 I think, which is called cash for capital and made me laugh out loud.
Where are the visual artists?  There's a group called Womens Art Movement (WAM) and I liked one of their shows at the Crypt St Pancras, and am thinking of joining.  Want to set up a lesbian/feminist show next year.. pass it on.

Hi Simian,
It was great to read that you got to see an exhibition by WAM (The Women's Art Movement)
The Crypt venue was amazing and the fab artists work (some from gingerbeer) really stood out!
I formed the group but as a none profit, community interest company finance did not shine favourably upon us
and I had to fold the group in January 2011... however
Bouncing back with lessons learned and now getting data for buyers, collectors and rental location options.
If you'd like to join take a look at the new website feedback and let me know what you think.

http://www.artistz.co.uk/

Essence  :-*

Offline Evan

• Astral Traveller
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • aka Thor, Tree, RQP
« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2011, 02:24:05 PM »
Hi Essence sorry to criticise your website but is the front picture meant to be scewered like the hall of mirrors. Looks like you need a photo editor and the font isn't great. I am just saying as for an art website you need it to look good. The font for news on the top navigation bar is a different font to the rest of the words in the navigation. You are stretching the images in the main box to fit the space when they weren't that size in the original photo so that is why you are getting squashed fat people instead of in proportion people. If you need any help with your website let me know I'd love to help you. I'm currently an out of work web designer/ librarian
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2011, 02:30:39 PM by Evan »
Earth my body
Water my blood
Air my breath
And fire by spirit!

Offline essence

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • It's hard enough remembering opinions... Reasons?
« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2011, 02:37:47 PM »
Hi Essence sorry to criticise your website but is the front picture meant to be scewered like the hall of mirrors. Looks like you need a photo editor and the font isn't great. I am just saying as for an art website you need it to look good. The font for news on the top navigation bar is a different font to the rest of the words in the navigation. You are stretching the images in the main box to fit the space when they weren't that size in the original photo so that is why you are getting squashed fat people instead of in proportion people. If you need any help with your website let me know I'd love to help you. I'm currently an out of work web designer/ librarian

Hi Evan,
Thank you that is great feedback...
I thought of the pic being stretched to give that Alice in Wonderland feel but I think you're right...
doesn't give a professional impact... I will swap those around!
The font... I will also get onto that right now too.
As for help well YES!
We are having a meeting at a friends (gingerbeer member) house in Camden TBC possibly 7pm 22nd July
would you like to come along?
Essence

Offline Evan

• Astral Traveller
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • aka Thor, Tree, RQP
« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2011, 05:42:01 PM »

Hi Evan,
Thank you that is great feedback...
I thought of the pic being stretched to give that Alice in Wonderland feel but I think you're right...
doesn't give a professional impact... I will swap those around!
The font... I will also get onto that right now too.
As for help well YES!
We are having a meeting at a friends (gingerbeer member) house in Camden TBC possibly 7pm 22nd July
would you like to come along?
Essence

I'd love to join you. IMessage me more info and I'll give you my number/email address ok. ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2011, 05:45:57 PM by Evan »
Earth my body
Water my blood
Air my breath
And fire by spirit!

Offline Evan

• Astral Traveller
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • aka Thor, Tree, RQP
« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2011, 12:27:33 AM »
essence I see you have fixed the photo much better.
Earth my body
Water my blood
Air my breath
And fire by spirit!