Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211694 times)

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #5415 on: Jun 02, 2018, 01:17:54 AM »
Omg, other people's cv's! I haven't had to read cv's for work in about 30 years, and never had to see cv's for my own type of work before. Blimey, when I think about all the times I've been embarrassed to spot a tiny typo on mine after sending it off...

I have seen:
* jobs with no dates
* jobs with no indication of where they were (no name of organization)
* the whole thing centred on the page
* the first page not updated in ten years
* husbands applying on behalf of their wives (wtf?! And not just one of them!)
* covering letters with bad grammar (never a great idea, but a bit more forgiveable for some jobs than others... These were all English teachers, some of them teaching at university level)

Luckily there were a few good ones alongside these!

hellohowareyoutoday

« Reply #5416 on: Jun 02, 2018, 03:42:36 AM »
Argh, making a CV is the worst because of this:

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5417 on: Jun 02, 2018, 09:21:56 AM »
;D I can relate, yes.

But these people had not employed anything so technical, I assure you ::)

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5418 on: Jun 04, 2018, 01:23:50 AM »
What I'd like to read is a book with no errors in it. The last few I've read have all had errors of spelling, grammar or punctuation and it drives me potty.
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #5419 on: Jun 04, 2018, 10:15:38 PM »
What I'd like to read is a book with no errors in it. The last few I've read have all had errors of spelling, grammar or punctuation and it drives me potty.
I think the internet is taking us in that direction.
Also, keep in mind that USA English & UK English
differ in spelling and pronunciation> aluminum---y'all say a lu min i um, adding the invisible i.   :)
Even grammar and punctuation have developed different  directions...or maybe, those 2 things
are not important to people any more.
We have a President who speaks on a 4th grade level.

I feel like getting a t-shirt that I can wear Sunday when I hit Dublin, " Don't blame me. I did not vote for him"
The most permanent characteristic in life is change.

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5420 on: Jul 30, 2018, 02:18:14 PM »
Well, my wish was granted!

I've just finished this month's book group read: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller.

I absolutely loved it. It is the story of Achilles, as the title suggests, but told through the eyes of his lover, Patroclus.
I was only vaguely aware of the story and have never seen Troy, for example, so although I recognised the names and the general outline, the details were new to me.
I really loved her writing style and the sympathy with which she drew the characters. I was totally engrossed and believed in it completely. Yes, there were gods and mythical creatures but Miller made them real. Not lesser, but as natural as the trees and the sea.

I don't want to see a film portrayal now because Achilles and Patroclus are perfect as they are, in my head.

Apparently it was 10 years in the writing, and well worth the wait. There is not a superfluous or inappropriate word to be found. And at the end it brought tears to my eyes, a first for any book. Highly recommended.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #5421 on: Jul 31, 2018, 12:23:16 AM »
^ I read and enjoyed her 'Circe' a couple of weeks back.

I'd like to recommend another Madeleine, Madeleine Thien. Her 'Do Not Say We Have Nothing' is set in China circa the Cultural Revolution.

And Vietnam Thanh Nguyen's 'The Sympathizer' set in Vietnam and their cultural revolution, too.
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5422 on: Jul 31, 2018, 12:28:36 AM »
Aw, glad that wish was granted, Musette!

I just read Lady into Fox, by David Garnett. It was already rather weird, but got even stranger about two thirds in. It was written when Angelica Garnett-to-be was about three years old.

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5423 on: Jul 31, 2018, 01:23:52 PM »
Thanks LfL :)

And thanks for the recommendation, Earl. I will check that one out as well.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5424 on: Aug 11, 2018, 04:14:13 PM »
At Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept, by Elizabeth Smart, I think. First published 1945. Considered wonderful by many many writers, including lots I admire. Unfortunately, I am struggling with the idea that 'the most amazing, ultimate description of what love is', is written about an affair with a married man. Am halfway through it, and regretting wasting my non-study, non-work holiday reading time on this.

I am enjoying a dry, not particularly well-written textbook on Kant and Foucault and the Vienna Circle more, and I never thought I'd say that!

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5425 on: Sep 03, 2018, 11:30:03 PM »
I just read The Buried Giant (Ishiguro) and quite enjoyed it. The funny thing was, I had bought it a few years ago for my kindle and completely forgotten what it was going to be about. My kindle doesn't show the blurb on the back of the book, so I just started at the front cover. Then discovered that forgetting stuff was a main theme ;D

It was a book group choice. I didn't choose it but was happy to have a good reason for getting around to it. Turned out I was the only one who liked it!

Now I've finished it I'm trying to get back into Mrs Dalloway and still struggling...

I abandoned the Elizabeth Smart, not sure if I'll bother finishing it.

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5426 on: Sep 04, 2018, 12:17:28 PM »
Just finished This Is Going To Hurt by Adam Kay.
It's edited highlights of the diary he kept when he was a junior doctor (he has since left medicine).
It is very funny in places but also horrific in terms of what is demanded of the NHS and its staff.
An eye-opening read for people like me who aren't directly involved with the NHS (other than as a patient, obviously) but probably nothing new to anyone who is an employee.