Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 187352 times)

Offline Xof the Elder

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #5355 on: Apr 09, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »
I've done the test and I'm major negotiator and minor builder which sounds right. But I'm ALWAYS attracted to directors and explorers, outgoing and/or authority figures. I shall look out the book and do some more research but I'm also a bit lost on the specific geographical 'director/mountain' correlation but it would be a lovely world if there was a lesbian director on every mountain.

IN-TER-REST-ING

A negotiator-builder eh?

I don't think I can go for an explorer as a primary as its my own secondary. TBH I don't think I've met an explorer girl to know! I've forgotten so much of my life! I can't pigeon-hole (which normally I love to do) any of my prior girlfriends into these .... oh, i know why. I never took an interest in their personalities  :-\

Explorers live in cities - so you're alright where you are.

Which mountains shall I live in?

Quizas, quizas, quizas....

Azalea

« Reply #5356 on: Apr 09, 2017, 11:01:00 PM »
Rockies? Cairngorms?

Offline Xof the Elder

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #5357 on: Apr 09, 2017, 11:02:24 PM »
No, neither of these strike me as the place I'll find my Hillary Clinton. Keep guessing.
Quizas, quizas, quizas....

Online Sorted.

• Slutclique Fluffer
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Hold your beliefs lightly.
« Reply #5358 on: Apr 22, 2017, 09:55:47 PM »
The Descent of Man by Grayson Perry.

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5359 on: Apr 24, 2017, 08:41:44 AM »
^ I love Grayson Perry. Is the book any good?
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5360 on: Apr 25, 2017, 11:35:07 PM »
I'm just about to start my latest book group choice: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.
I'm really not looking forward to it. Judging by the blurb it's going to be schmaltzy and emotionally manipulative, two things I hate. But I could be wrong - I've been surprised before and it's one of the joys of book group.
The person who chose it is convinced it's going to make me cry. I've promised to buy her dinner if she proves to be correct. I've never cried at a book in my life and I'm not going to start with Jodi ruddy Picoult ::)

Offline Tired & Confused

• Gingerbeer Virgin
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #5361 on: Apr 26, 2017, 12:21:33 AM »
^Not even the Snow Goose? No literary tearjerkers at all?

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5362 on: Apr 26, 2017, 08:17:07 AM »
^ no, none (although, to be fair, I've never read The Snow Goose).
There are a handful of films that'll make me cry every time (The Railway Children, Dumbo, Gladiator and, rather embarrassingly, Titanic (it's the bit with the old couple lying on the bed, accepting the fact that they are going to die). And when I saw X+Y, in the cinema, I wailed inconsolably at the end. I had to sit there while everyone else left and the person I was with went off to find tissues for me; I was still blubbing on the bus on the way home) and some pieces of music, but books just don't seem to have that effect on me. So far.... ;)
I'm open to suggestions though! Maybe that's a whole other thread.

Offline Medusa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #5363 on: Apr 26, 2017, 08:29:51 AM »
^ Even in middle age I can't read The Happy Prince (to children) without crying. And I very rarely cry.
If you're not a book-crying-person I very much doubt that My Sister's Keeper will hit the spot for you.
Every day is a bad hair day.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #5364 on: Apr 26, 2017, 08:44:08 AM »
Do keep us posted, Musette :D

I am half way through The Power, by Naomi Alderman. I was in two minds about whether or not it was worth buying or reading - gushing or sarcastic praise from Margaret Atwood didn't help - but then it was n offer for 2 and I bought it, then forgot all about it for a few weeks, then decided to give it a go and was hooked within minutes.

Not sure yet if I'll like the ending but it's certainly gripping and contains a lot of food for thought. It's also a perfect picture of modern life, with made up internet threads that are soooo realistic. I like it.

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5365 on: Apr 26, 2017, 08:47:41 AM »
Indeed Medusa, I doubt it too.
I read a lot so it's not as though I've never read a book that makes other people cry. But that part of me just doesn't seem to work (I literally laughed out loud at the ending of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas). I am reassured by the fact that music and films can make me cry and that it's not that I am just devoid of emotions ;)

Haha, LfL, I will keep you posted ;D
I'm about a quarter of the way through it (woke up in the middle of the night and needed something to do). It's interesting and I will keep reading it, but so far I can't bring myself to actually care about any of them.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #5366 on: Apr 26, 2017, 09:08:58 AM »
The striped pyjamas is a ridiculous book, I don't think I laughed but I think I did think 'what an idiot' and 'what did he expect' and 'serves him right' about the father. With a load of  ::) and no sympathy at all. And I am a cryer-at-books.

About The Power, has anyone else on here read it yet? It's a What If book set in a future when the power balance has shifted from men to women (around now), with a biblical type account of how that came about, like '500 years ago'. The bible style language didn't last long, which was good because that's not a speedy read.

I'd love to hear what others think of it.

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5367 on: Apr 26, 2017, 09:22:46 AM »
^ that book sounds interesting, LfL.

Yes, Striped Pyjamas was, imo, a truly awful book (I've avoided the film - I can't imagine it's any better). We read it for book group some years ago and in our 12-year-history as a group it is ranked as the low bench mark by which all other bad books are judged, and in that time we've read some stinkers....

Azalea

« Reply #5368 on: Apr 26, 2017, 05:58:16 PM »
 I loved The Power; the concept and the book; I've loved Naomi Alderman for years and recommended her to anyone who will listen. She wrote a great Doctor Who book, I love that she's into gaming and zombies but also has the influence of her Jewish orthodox upbringing.

I remember there being lots of hysterical controversy over the changing of the ending of the film adaptation of My Sister's Keeper. Both left me dry-eyed but maybe because I went into it thinking it was a schmaltzy tear-jerker.

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5369 on: Apr 26, 2017, 07:51:16 PM »
^ I've certainly approached the book with the idea that it's a schmaltzy tear-jerker, which is a huge turn-off.
I've heard that the film ends differently but I'm not planning to watch it. The person who chose the book for my book group has seen the film so she can tell us how it ends.