Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 190421 times)

Offline Tired, Confused & Duped

• Gingerbeer Virgin
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #5340 on: Mar 13, 2017, 12:20:00 AM »
https://twitter.com/adamdavidson
(this isn't the right place but I can't think where else to put it and the news is amazing)

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5341 on: Mar 13, 2017, 06:38:13 PM »
I recommend 'Do Not Say We Have Nothing' by Madeleine Thien. An utterly beautiful book which charts life in China from the 50's onwards. There's lots of references to music..peices, playing and composition...the family were mostly musicians, but it's not centre stage. One reviewer called it something like a 'living breathing organism', and I'd go with that. Stunning.

Edited to correct predictive text
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2017, 06:50:19 PM by Earl »
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #5342 on: Mar 19, 2017, 02:49:33 PM »
Mothering Sunday, by Graham Swift. I was wondering from the blurb if it was going to echo Caeia March's The Hide and Seek Files, but it was more Alice Munro meets Ian McEwan. I read it more or less in one sitting. It's for book group on Saturday (the timing is a coincidence and the rest of the group are probably unaware that UK Mothers' Day is the next day). There are some staunch a Swift fans in the group and I am looking forward to what they have to say. It's a million times better than Tomorrow, which I put aside in disgust.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #5343 on: Mar 24, 2017, 05:58:11 PM »
Asking for it, Louise O'Neill

I don't normally recommend, but I'm recommending this. It is devastating, brutal, honest. At first I thought what a unlikable character. Then she had me crying and crying. I was in a coffee shop at one point trying to hide my tears.

This plot sounds like it comes from an actual assault and rape by members of a high-school football, or something team..though it probably differs with the young woman attacked, who I don't recall being called 'beautiful' or 'confident'. I hope it works out better for the character here. I've put it on my list to read, so we'll see. Thanks for the recommendation.
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #5344 on: Mar 26, 2017, 12:30:37 AM »
James Tiptree Jr's The Women Men Don't See. A brilliant short story. I think I've missed some good authors because I don't have much of a taste for science fiction. 

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #5345 on: Apr 05, 2017, 12:55:47 AM »
annual reading of Wasteland
Jane Rule's This Is Not for You

• Gingerbeer Virgin
« Reply #5346 on: Apr 05, 2017, 01:11:04 AM »
^The dog must know it by now.

Deborah Eisenberg's Twilight of the Superheroes.

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #5347 on: Apr 06, 2017, 01:57:33 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised
and the birds too-I sometimes stand on a wonderful flat rock with a small glass of wine and recite it to them

Offline Xof the Elder

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #5348 on: Apr 09, 2017, 08:25:54 PM »
I'm reading "A hug for the Apostle" by Laurie Dennett - you won't like it, so don't bother.

Got my copy 2 from Amazon.

It's about a woman who hiked from Chartres to Santiago de Compostella in 1985 for MS and raised a lot of money. Now she runs an albergue in Galicia. She lived the life I wanted to live - I'd like to be her.
Quizas, quizas, quizas....

Offline Xof the Elder

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #5349 on: Apr 09, 2017, 08:39:41 PM »
She lives the life I want to live.

Not lived, she's not dead. I wikipedia'd it.

I'm going to write her a thank you note for her super book and amazing efforts - I have nothing better to do and I think it'll make her day.

Azalea

« Reply #5350 on: Apr 09, 2017, 08:58:13 PM »
^ I'd like to read it, and would love to walk the camino sometime.

A few years ago I wrote to a Canadian author, Sharon Butala, to tell her I loved her book and she replied and said she was so pleased that people were still reading her books (published in the 1990s). She gave up a life in academia and moved to her husband's ranch in the Canadian prairies and gets to know the local landscape. I'd love her life, minus the husband. I was chuffed to bits to get a reply from her.

Offline Xof the Elder

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #5351 on: Apr 09, 2017, 09:13:54 PM »
^ I'd like to read it, and would love to walk the camino sometime.

A few years ago I wrote to a Canadian author, Sharon Butala, to tell her I loved her book and she replied and said she was so pleased that people were still reading her books (published in the 1990s). She gave up a life in academia and moved to her husband's ranch in the Canadian prairies and gets to know the local landscape. I'd love her life, minus the husband. I was chuffed to bits to get a reply from her.

Wanna know something spooky?

This writer is half Canadian!  :o

Azalea

« Reply #5352 on: Apr 09, 2017, 09:22:24 PM »
I love Canadians, and they seem to like me. I might do a Love Actually and move out there, might stand better chance of meeting someone there than in London ;D

Offline Xof the Elder

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #5353 on: Apr 09, 2017, 09:26:39 PM »
I love Canadians, and they seem to like me. I might do a Love Actually and move out there, might stand better chance of meeting someone there than in London ;D

I just read a book about (I've read two books this weekend - I'm out of control) on attraction called Why Him, Why Her and it recommends you move to the place where your love is likely to be. It's not as specific as "Canada" though.

It recommends that I move to the mountains, which would be marvelous because I ADORE the mountains (the camino goes through the Pyrenees and Leon mountains btw) because I am a negotiator and my ideal partner would be a director and apparently, they live on mountains. Surely they can't all live on mountains! I'm not sure why they would live on mountains. Apparently Hillary Clinton is a director and she was out on a bimble wasn't she... could be some truth in it. Bill Clinton you see, is a negotiator, like myself, I am a negotiator explorer. I just found this out today.

Go see what you are and I can tell you where to live. I've read the whole book and can remember it word for word... until I fall asleep. Go quickly.

Azalea

« Reply #5354 on: Apr 09, 2017, 10:29:07 PM »
I've done the test and I'm major negotiator and minor builder which sounds right. But I'm ALWAYS attracted to directors and explorers, outgoing and/or authority figures. I shall look out the book and do some more research but I'm also a bit lost on the specific geographical 'director/mountain' correlation but it would be a lovely world if there was a lesbian director on every mountain.