Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 182936 times)

Offline Tired & Confused

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #5340 on: Mar 13, 2017, 12:20:00 AM »
https://twitter.com/adamdavidson
(this isn't the right place but I can't think where else to put it and the news is amazing)

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #5341 on: Mar 13, 2017, 06:38:13 PM »
I recommend 'Do Not Say We Have Nothing' by Madeleine Thien. An utterly beautiful book which charts life in China from the 50's onwards. There's lots of references to music..peices, playing and composition...the family were mostly musicians, but it's not centre stage. One reviewer called it something like a 'living breathing organism', and I'd go with that. Stunning.

Edited to correct predictive text
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2017, 06:50:19 PM by Earl »
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #5342 on: Mar 19, 2017, 02:49:33 PM »
Mothering Sunday, by Graham Swift. I was wondering from the blurb if it was going to echo Caeia March's The Hide and Seek Files, but it was more Alice Munro meets Ian McEwan. I read it more or less in one sitting. It's for book group on Saturday (the timing is a coincidence and the rest of the group are probably unaware that UK Mothers' Day is the next day). There are some staunch a Swift fans in the group and I am looking forward to what they have to say. It's a million times better than Tomorrow, which I put aside in disgust.

Offline Earl

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #5343 on: Mar 24, 2017, 05:58:11 PM »
Asking for it, Louise O'Neill

I don't normally recommend, but I'm recommending this. It is devastating, brutal, honest. At first I thought what a unlikable character. Then she had me crying and crying. I was in a coffee shop at one point trying to hide my tears.

This plot sounds like it comes from an actual assault and rape by members of a high-school football, or something team..though it probably differs with the young woman attacked, who I don't recall being called 'beautiful' or 'confident'. I hope it works out better for the character here. I've put it on my list to read, so we'll see. Thanks for the recommendation.
Nye Bevan, 'the NHS will exist for only as long as the people fight for it'...or something like that.