Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 198786 times)

Salamander

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 19, 2009, 06:55:22 PM »
Been a while since we've had one of these. As it's the end of the Easter holiday period, let's hear what you've been reading...

I've been reading Margaret Forster's biography of Daphne Du Maurier. It's really well-written and is a fascinating study of how the repression of one's sexuality can completely influence all of your relationships. It's also given me a list of her books to read, other than Rebecca and Jamaica Inn, which are all I've managed so far.

You might also enjoy "Gerald" by Daphne du Maurier. It's a biography of her father, who was an actor/manager of some repute.

Salamander

« Reply #16 on: Apr 19, 2009, 07:01:42 PM »
I might put the Forster biography on my next-to-read list.

It really is a lovely read.

Offline Vandyke

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #17 on: Apr 19, 2009, 07:43:49 PM »
The Night Watch by Sarah Waters. Excellent. Good setting and interesting characters. Preferred it to her Victoriana. Set in a very recognisable London...the part where I grew up. Highly recommended.

Offline smiling

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #18 on: Apr 19, 2009, 07:48:38 PM »
i am reading my way through a range of books on Steiner education. very interesting. :)

i am also reading "skating to antarctica" by Jenny Diski, which i am enjoying very much.
..auch die Ruhe nach dem Sturm
is nur die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
(Georg Danzer)

Offline Ms. F. Strawberry

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • damnant quod non intelligunt
« Reply #19 on: Apr 19, 2009, 07:51:57 PM »
My Driver, Maggie Gee..The follow up to My Cleaner, love her wit.

Her daughter is a close friend of mine. :D She's a fantastic writer, isn't she?

GentleWhisper

« Reply #20 on: Apr 19, 2009, 07:54:28 PM »
On the work commute I have been reading the not terribly easy but genuinely fascinating Book of Nothing by John Barrow.

Chapter after chapter has broadened my understanding and knowledge of everything from ancient Egyptian counting to the genius of Einstein right through to the conflict of religion and science. I have giggled, frowned, marvelled but rarely yawned and whilst I might take a break and read something a little more digestible afterwards, I have already purchased his book on Infinity and find myself enjoying a sense of anticipation towards that, based on my current read.

Bizoute

« Reply #21 on: Apr 19, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »

i am also reading "skating to antarctica" by Jenny Diski, which i am enjoying very much.

i really like jenny diski - her non-fic more than her fic.

super sonic gin and tonic

« Reply #22 on: Apr 19, 2009, 09:12:12 PM »
I'm having a bit of trouble reading at the mo, but I'm trying to read the first in a series of Sci fi books by Ian Banks ( he calls himself Iain M Banks when writing sci fi). I'm a big fan of old sci fi, John Wyndham and HG Wells etc. and am wanting to read some contempory stuff by a good writer. I want to have a mini project of reading all of his sci fi, but i'm not finding the first book very engaging at the mo, and I don't know if that's because of my mood or the book. I'm desperate to like it though, so I'm plugging away.

Nelley

« Reply #23 on: Apr 19, 2009, 09:21:09 PM »
I've just finished reading 'Slammerkin' by Emma Donoghue, def worth a read. 

Schwarz

« Reply #24 on: Apr 19, 2009, 09:25:19 PM »
The Age Of The Warrior by war reporter Robert Fisk.

It's a fantastic selection of his best writing; analytical, well-researched & properly outraged. 

For anyone who loves Noam but finds him a bit chin-strokey, Fisk's your man.

maybee

« Reply #25 on: Apr 19, 2009, 09:35:16 PM »
The Night Watch by Sarah Waters. Excellent. Good setting and interesting characters. Preferred it to her Victoriana. Set in a very recognisable London...the part where I grew up. Highly recommended.
I loved reading that  :)

Nelley

« Reply #26 on: Apr 19, 2009, 09:38:42 PM »
Love Sarah Waters too, she's got a new book coming out soon.  Have to say Fingersmith is my fav.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #27 on: Apr 19, 2009, 09:45:30 PM »
I've got a new private student and have agreed to read the books he's reading for an exam - The Time Machine, 1984 and Brave New World - One down, one and a half to go, fantastic to be rereading these after 20 years, and I am finally justified in my hoarding and alphabetical storage of books ;D

Queen

« Reply #28 on: Apr 19, 2009, 09:47:07 PM »

;D

For background research stuff:
The Iron Age, Barry Cunliffe, whihc is fascinating, very engaging and readable and all round bloody excellent esp. if you're a prehistory geek .

And The Mabinogion, which I dont think I have ever read from cover to cover. And I love it. Weird and wonderful, it really is.

For light relief: Piratica III by Tanith Lee. About a dashing, swashbuckling pirate captain. Oh, and she's a woman. :D

And, for sheer enjoyment, poetry: Skirrid Hill by Owen Sheers. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Beautiful. I think I'm developing a slight literary crush.

Offline Emilia

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Meta-Anarchist
    • Gaydar Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 19, 2009, 10:16:44 PM »
Ooh, some good ideas here! :D

I'm going through a phase of reading all the unread books on my bookshelf. Most recently these have included:

My Name Is Red, Orhan Pamuk (I was really bored by the time I got to the end, and felt very guilty, because apparently he's one of our great modern-day writers. Hmmm.)

The Facts Behind The Helsinki Roccamatios, Yann Martel (Nowhere near as good as The Life Of Pi. I couldn't quite work out why. I don't think these stories have the same lightness of touch, and they didn't really spark my imagination at all. In fact, I'm already having trouble remembering some of them. I think they annoyed me because they made me feel depressed (they're all a bit gloomy), but without the corresponding and compensating thrill that comes from really good writing.)

Couples, John Updike (I liked it, but it took me about 100 pages to get into it, and the whole heterosexual-marriage thing felt fairly alien to me (but I suppose that's why one reads a novel, n'est-ce pas?), and I did find it rather uncomfortably androcentric at times.)

Are You Experienced?, William Sutcliffe (I've avoided this for a while, as it was one of the books everyone was reading when I was in India, and I like to avoid trends - but it's brilliant. I read it in a day, and it made me laugh out loud in public several times. You'll love it if you've ever had a gap year, or been to India.)

Iraqi Women, Nadje Al-Ali (Just started this one, and am very much enjoying it so far. She taught me last year, so I'm probably a bit biased.)