Author Topic: Dentist and suspected tooth abcess under gum!  (Read 5239 times)

Offline littleflower

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • wicked little hamster
Dentist and suspected tooth abcess under gum!
« on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:50:18 PM »
went to see dentist as emergency appointment, all she said is ive got suspected abcess and it inflamed 3teeth and the gum area!  apparently all she could do was offer flossing advice!she wouldnt even fill my hole with a temp filling!   

surely antibiotics to prevent the abcess and salt water washes and a visit to hyginest would of been more proactive advice from a dentist! think i gonna look for a better more patient based dentist, rather than target hitting dentist! 

or has emergency appointments now completely changed??? eg last dentist i saw well cool irish bloke did 2 fillings, did a teeth clean and polish and also advice on toothpaste and form of mouthwash i should use! last time i had abcess he gave me antibiotics, and suggested using electric tooth brush, also did basic checks for other problems in one session!  yikes my dentist now cant even do one temporary filling! 

here the question i got suspected abcess, and severe pain what do i do? i can floss but whatelse???

Zooey

Re: Dentist and suspected tooth abcess under gum!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:51:52 PM »
You poor thing! I know gargling salt water is good for infections, but all I can offer is sympathy - maybe gets lots of painkillers in?

*sympathy*

Salamander

« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2009, 10:14:19 PM »
If you don't floss frequently enough it makes your gums inflamed and then they will bleed when you do, so that's good advice.

Antibiotics are not prescribed to prevent things because they're not good for you if prescribed routinely. They're used when an infection has been established - not when it's suspected. You don't mention pain at all, which I am surprised by if you think there's an abscess.

If you have pain, max out on ibuprofen (because it's anti-inflammatory) and keep going back every few days if there's no improvement. It may be that an infection is starting but the dentist cannot see symptoms she could link definitively with an abscess or infection *yet*. Perhaps she didn't give you a temporary filling because if there *is* an abscess it needs to drain somewhere? If she filled it, any infection would have nowhere to go but down into the root and root canal work can cost you a small fortune, not to mention being uncomfortable and tedious at best.

Of course, nobody here (so far) is an authority on dental problems and even if they were, they might be hesitant to offer advice without examining your mouth properly. As a bunch of untrained fellow patients, most of us have nothing of significance we can offer you but sympathy! (And you do have my sympathy, that's for sure.)

Why don't you give the surgery a ring and ask the receptionist if you can speak to the dentist? If the dentist can't speak to you about it because she's busy, then a Practice Manager or Dental Nurse/Receptionist might be equally well equipped to convey the information you're after back to you. Sometimes, the best treatment is to act conservatively and see what happens when the situation is inconclusive. Dive in too quickly with the wrong treatment and it may only make things worse. I wouldn't judge against your new dentist quite so soon.

(edited for kooky spelling)
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2009, 02:00:24 PM by Salamander »

Zooey

« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2009, 10:19:28 PM »
Can you also still go to A&E for extreme dental pain? I dunno about now but I did it a few years ago when I was in absolute agony and it was the middle of the night.

I know A&E should be the last resort, but maybe it's comforting to know that in the dead of night, you have somewhere to go? Pain is always worse at night  :(

Offline Maia

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2009, 10:47:02 PM »
Can you also still go to A&E for extreme dental pain? I dunno about now but I did it a few years ago when I was in absolute agony and it was the middle of the night.

Yes - I took my ex once when she was out of her mind with dental pain and they were very helpful.  They gave her such good drugs I had to give her a fireman's lift back up to our flat.  Lucky she was 5 foot nothing. :)

Offline debspa

• "Best female beer drinker in Soll" 1986
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • so much not to do and all day not to do it in
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2009, 12:26:54 AM »

Yes - I took my ex once when she was out of her mind with dental pain and they were very helpful.  They gave her such good drugs I had to give her a fireman's lift back up to our flat.  Lucky she was 5 foot nothing. :)

It's not ideal as A/E s don't have access to a dentist per se. But they can of course help with analgesia and antibiotics if appropriate. But be prepared for a possible long wait  :(
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights....(UDHR)

Salamander

« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2009, 12:40:31 AM »

I know A&E should be the last resort, but maybe it's comforting to know that in the dead of night, you have somewhere to go? Pain is always worse at night  :(

Yes, I did it too - about 9 months ago.

Our hospital has an emergency dental walk-in centre but it's only open daytimes - which is useful to know at weekends. Maybe littleflower would consider finding out if her local hospital do something like that, in case it gets worse at a weekend. I would go to A&E as a last resort only.

Offline Bluebear

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2009, 09:39:28 AM »
Possibly the reason your filling was not done is cos if there is puss from the absess around the tooth then they can not numb the area.  My son has had several absesses and they will never fix the cause until the infection has gone.  Sometimes he has been given anti biotics but most times not.

lykopis

« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2009, 12:34:13 PM »
Oil of Cloves..

It tastes particularly vile (if you don't like that kind of aniseedy strong flavour) but a bit of cotton wool with some on it should take away most of the pain.

I am surprised your dentist didn't get the drill out or at least give you some antibiotics.. 

I'm too am no dental expert but I do have a CSE grade 4 in Science so therefore obviously know what I am talking about  ;)

Seriously, I'm currently booked in for root canal work next week so I sympathise.

laluna

« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2009, 01:45:18 PM »
I am an ex dental nurse- I can understand why they would not fill in the area of an abscess, as it would potentially inflame it further.

The key here is SUSPECTED abscess. A definitive abscess would be treated accordingly, and antibiotics would be given if it was a major infection, and causing severe pain.
Suspected implies that there is some uncertainty to the diagnosis, and therefore they would most likely not give out antibiotics in that case.
It is possible that the dentist you saw was just not sure, that's not to say that you don't have an abscess that does require treatment.
Perhaps if things do not improve you need to make another appointment.
In the meantime you could call the dentist office and ask them to recommend pain relief.
Oil of cloves is used by dentists, but it only works to calm the nerve of the tooth, and will not have any effect on any potential abscess.
Corsodyl mouthwash is a really good antiseptic. (Formerly prescription only, now available from chemists)
Also Bonjella can give you some relief as it does have local anesthetic in it.

Offline ~AL~

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • moments of pleasure.....my photos
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2009, 02:31:39 PM »
I am an ex dental nurse-

:-X

;)

sympathies for your abscess, I remember having one many moons ago and boy do they hurt.  Good advice all round from everyone.  Sadly mine was so painful and it was before preventative treatment started, that my tooth had to be pulled.  The offending abscess was on a third root of the tooth, which hadn't shown up on the x-ray.  This was back in the 80's, things are better now!!! 
"To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important." Teal'c

laluna

« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2009, 03:16:07 PM »
I am an ex dental nurse-

:-X

Yes, I know!  :o  What a job eh! That was a very long time ago now...ironically I am now totally phobic about going to the dentist myself!

Offline Birchett_10

• Gingerbeer Newbie
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2017, 11:45:03 AM »
You must consult dentist Redondo Beach. I have my personal experience of abscess in my mouth. Oh! I was so relieved after I went to him. He is really good at what he is doing. And I think one of the best help you can get right now.

oldbutnew...

« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2017, 02:28:09 PM »
You must consult dentist Redondo Beach. I have my personal experience of abscess in my mouth. Oh! I was so relieved after I went to him. He is really good at what he is doing. And I think one of the best help you can get right now.

You seem to be replying to a post and thread a few years old so probably sorted now  :-[

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:59:20 PM »
Salamander, wow, hello!

I cannot believe she did not recommend surgery ASAP, root canal, something. I had work done today. I still feel numb from the nova cain. Rub some heavy duty whiskey on it, when it hurts...so sorry.
The most permanent characteristic in life is change.