Author Topic: What are you thinking right now ?  (Read 875120 times)

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
Re: What are you thinking right now ?
« Reply #36165 on: Mar 01, 2018, 07:58:55 PM »
And how about convincing yourself that it doesn't matter for a while? Assume it's not going to happen and accept that you'll need to put your feet up every few hours until this passes?

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #36166 on: Mar 16, 2018, 03:41:11 PM »
What on earth is going on with gender identity politics.

Offline Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #36167 on: Mar 16, 2018, 03:50:45 PM »
 I have no idea, Iíve lost track of what Iím supposed to say now. Iíve learned my lesson about openly expressing my opinion so I say nothingÖ
the summer is ended and we are not yet saved

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #36168 on: Mar 16, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »
How do you mean youíve learnt your lesson about expressing an opinion?

Iíve been hearing about some really concerning stuff to do with lesbian erasure and infringement of womenís rights. Iíve no idea whatís true and whatís not but from small personal experience it rings true.

Offline Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #36169 on: Mar 16, 2018, 05:21:09 PM »
 Basically it means I have to be very selective about who I discuss it with, because itís not worth opening oneís gob and expressing oneís personal opinion, no matter how well thought through or deeply held,  when all one gets in return is a load of opprobrium and abuse.
 Gender identity politics is one of these subjects where you canít please all of the people all of the time, and the ones who get to dictate the agenda are generally the ones who can shout the loudest and who hold the most power, and woe betide you if you disagree with them. It tends to put a disabled lesbian in a somewhat awkward and vulnerable position. 

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #36170 on: Mar 16, 2018, 05:51:23 PM »
Yes thatís exactly my concern, the silencing of debate. Do the battles ever end...!

I feel a bit like that too, that I canít express an opinion about it or I will lose friends or be cast as a right wing bigot.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #36171 on: Mar 16, 2018, 11:04:17 PM »
I am too far away, literally, to have picked up much of what's going on, but what worries me a lot is that my very simple view of gender identity may not be available to future generations, or even: is already not available to young people.

I was lucky enough to grow up in a world where I could state: look, I am a woman, and these are my clothes, so they are women's clothes. The world wasn't perfect, but there were as many ways to be a woman as there were women. I feel we are losing that....

Offline Betty Croker

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #36172 on: Mar 16, 2018, 11:14:05 PM »
I am really furious at some of the queer identified gay men I know purporting to tell me and other women objectively what a woman is and that it cannot be defined by biology but is in fact, ďall those who perform femininityĒ - so they have defined me out of being an actual woman then. And we appear to have reverted back to the 1950ís - in terms of men must be masculine and women must be feminine. LGBT press and organisations are so blatantly anti feminist on these issues as they nearly always are.

How did we end up in this ridiculous position and how has a movement that was all about self definition end up with women and lesbians being defined by men.
And now I know how Joan of Arc felt.......

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #36173 on: Mar 17, 2018, 09:44:16 AM »
^ Yes. I was told the other day that being female is just a matter of feeling that way, whereas male is assertive and boisterous. Really, really annoyed with it all the more I hear and incredulous as to how itís all happened. It looks like we will have to have underground networks again like the 70s.

Offline Slantrhyme

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #36174 on: Mar 17, 2018, 10:07:21 AM »
 I am really rather resentful at having to be called a cis woman. Why canít I just be a woman? I was told by someone that itís so that trans-people donít feel pathologised by adding a prefix to their gender. 

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #36175 on: Mar 17, 2018, 10:55:53 AM »
Yes, I donít like cis either as it implies that from birth I Ďfeel like a femaleí, whatever that is supposed to be. It implies I identify with and support the gender stereotypes of femininity as socially constructed, which I donít.

I am glad you, Betty and LfL have concerns too as honestly I get no discussion on this usually or I am accused of transphobia.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #36176 on: Mar 17, 2018, 11:26:43 AM »
I think I really understood how dangerous the trans issues can be for gay people and women when I learned that in countries where being gay carries the death penalty, transsexuals can get married. In other words, if you're gay the only way to survive is to be celibate or to mutilate your body to conform to the male-female stereotype.

And yes, I said mutilate, because if you are not trans, pretending to be would mean mutilation, absolutely. I am not, in this post, accusing trans people of having their bodies mutilated.just to be clear.

And I have absolutely no beef with any individual trans person, just as I can support individual friends and family members who adopt babies from other countries, but that doesn't mean I support them on a political level. Unless the political arguments change, I can't take sides with a small minority whose agenda screws up more than a hundred years of struggling for women to be treated as equal human beings.

Edited to add: a phobia is an irrational fear. I am not afraid, irrationally or otherwise, of individual trans people. I am seriously concerned that the gender identity debate is harmful to women and all sexualities other than heterosexuality, but I don't think that's irrational.
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2018, 11:30:02 AM by Lust for Life »

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #36177 on: Mar 20, 2018, 08:06:58 PM »
^ Iím not sure I understand your comment about adopting babies from other countries? How does that relate to trans issues?

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #36178 on: Mar 20, 2018, 08:15:31 PM »
I am wondering what the future holds after the revelations of the harvesting of Facebook data to manipulate the US elections.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #36179 on: Mar 20, 2018, 11:58:09 PM »
^ Iím not sure I understand your comment about adopting babies from other countries? How does that relate to trans issues?

Sorry, not a very clear example. I was trying to say it's one of several areas where my general/political views don't match with my ability to understand, sympathise with and support individual people who do things I, on a general level, do not support.