Author Topic: What are you thinking right now ?  (Read 820015 times)

theonlywayisup

Re: What are you thinking right now ?
« Reply #35670 on: Jul 15, 2017, 12:50:00 AM »
Wow, close call.  8)

Online cigarettes and matches

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #35671 on: Jul 15, 2017, 11:07:27 PM »
Venus did not win today but that's ok.  She has had her time and it is nice to see someone new as champion.
Music isn't my hobby, it's my passion.

Offline pure evil

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Joyful Misandrist
« Reply #35672 on: Jul 20, 2017, 11:49:53 AM »
Instead of going to work today I would really LOVE to go to a spa..... mmmmm....spa! (not going to a spa).

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #35673 on: Jul 21, 2017, 04:33:25 AM »
Wondering about introductory commas with time indicators, with the help of Oasis and The Beatles:

Today is gonna be the day...
Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away...

But did The Beatles actually put a comma in the lyrics, I wonder?

It turns out commas are more complicated than I thought :-\

Also, it's my last day at work today, but we're not going to be at work; we're off out on a jolly.

Edited for incorrect use of a comma ::)

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #35674 on: Jul 21, 2017, 10:31:53 AM »
Wondering about introductory commas with time indicators, with the help of Oasis and The Beatles:

Today is gonna be the day...
Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away...

But did The Beatles actually put a comma in the lyrics, I wonder?

It turns out commas are more complicated than I thought :-\

Also, it's my last day at work today, but we're not going to be at work; we're off out on a jolly.

Edited for incorrect use of a comma ::)

Commas and apostrophes are just traps for pedants, in my view.

But I understand completely that teachers need to know all about them and also people learning a language. And I understand some people feel bad if they don't get it right themselves but that's a different thing from feeling the need to correct others (in a non student-teacher context), especially on social media.

I've never worried about where to put a comma or an apostrophe and often get them wrong. Which gives me the added satisfaction of annoying people who get their nosehair in a twist over the format of other people's attempts to express themselves.

I still find questions about grammar interesting and I like to know the theoretical answers (without doing any work to find them out) but I confess I am unlikely to stick to them or care if anyone else does.

I hope you have a nice jolly, today  :)
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2017, 10:35:52 AM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »

Offline the ganze metsieh

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #35675 on: Jul 21, 2017, 10:45:09 AM »
How are you on may and might, and will and shall? Both hotly debated in some of the places I've worked. FTR, I only ever have a 'feeling' about how to use these, I never remember the grammatical rules.

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #35676 on: Jul 21, 2017, 10:58:04 AM »
Can honestly say the question has never crossed my mind. I think there are utilitarian benefits in having them hotly debated in appropriate places though. Heaven knows what havoc those people would be wreaking on the world if they weren't otherwise employed  :D
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2017, 11:00:51 AM by Betty Croker's frosted buns »

Offline the ganze metsieh

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #35677 on: Jul 21, 2017, 11:20:39 AM »
Eric Partridge, Usage and Abusage, and Fowler, Modern English Usage, disagreed about will and shall. I looked it up once and read all the way through, and promptly forgot. Many years later, will and shall cropped up again, in a bar, while talking to a foreign friend with an MA in linguistics, who trenchantly held forth on whatever he believed to be the rule. I thought he was wrong but I couldn't remember what Partridge and Fowler had said and had to reluctantly concede.

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #35678 on: Jul 21, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »
Oh, try and remember so I can pointlessly take sides. :D

theonlywayisup

« Reply #35679 on: Jul 23, 2017, 06:46:00 PM »
Determined to go for my blood tests tomorrow even though I have another appointment so no eating after 9.30pm. It will be difficult.  :-X

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #35680 on: Jul 23, 2017, 09:20:59 PM »
I went to what was advertised as a meditation workshop run by a woman and it turned out to be some supposed releasing of negative energies, which had a focus on the pelvic region. It was run by a guy who gave off a really sleezy vibe and he asked us to partner up to rub against the pelvic region at one point so I left. I looked him up online later and it sounded like he's trying to reinstate the Victorian idea of women having hysteria unless they are relieved of their sexual tension by his dodgy internal massage. Very grim.

theonlywayisup

« Reply #35681 on: Jul 23, 2017, 09:25:15 PM »
I went to what was advertised as a meditation workshop run by a woman and it turned out to be some supposed releasing of negative energies, which had a focus on the pelvic region. It was run by a guy who gave off a really sleezy vibe and he asked us to partner up to rub against the pelvic region at one point so I left. I looked him up online later and it sounded like he's trying to reinstate the Victorian idea of women having hysteria unless they are relieved of their sexual tension by his dodgy internal massage. Very grim.

:-X :-\

Offline Trifle

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #35682 on: Jul 23, 2017, 09:29:58 PM »
^ I know! I can't believe he's not been closed down. His website is very very creepy.

theonlywayisup

« Reply #35683 on: Jul 23, 2017, 09:50:10 PM »
^ Well done for walking out. I would probably have stayed, trapped and suffered.

theonlywayisup

« Reply #35684 on: Jul 23, 2017, 09:51:40 PM »
^ Although I would not have rubbed my pelvic region against another person in public.  8)