Author Topic: Good things about being single  (Read 10440 times)

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
Re: Good things about being single
« Reply #60 on: Oct 10, 2016, 11:21:02 PM »
^ there is the assumption, though, that there is a such a thing as 'the right person' ... suppose some of us really like to be alone and not adjust and compromise, although lonely is not fun either.

I know what you mean and I totally try to avoid saying stuff in a work environment/in real life that suggests attached is somehow morally superior to single. I believe everyone has the right to make their own choice in this and that single is a totally reasonable (and often superior) lifestyle choice.

However, I think I am guilty of thinking: if your soulmate turns up unexpectedly and being with them involves so little compromise etc that the benefits easily outweigh them, wouldn't you be cutting your nose off to spite your face if you said no, keep away from me, I don't do relationships? But it's a complicated hypothetical situation, because the potential soulmate of someone who really really wants to stay single would fit into that and share that view. I think in that case they would kind of both stay single together somehow, for as long as that continued to work, then drift away in time, or not.

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #61 on: Oct 11, 2016, 01:24:10 AM »
Being single isn't just about your snoring not bothering anyone else or watching your favourite show every time-saying this as humorous examples
It is living a life at a particular level of freedom and possibilities that you can rarely have in a partnership
Being in a couple has it's own merits and joys for sure but being single isn't defined by an absence of those

*this isn't in reaction to LfL's post just my own blithering

Offline MzB

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #62 on: Oct 11, 2016, 05:11:21 PM »
I agree, Grey.

I wonder how far you could have that type of freedom in an ideal relationship, too.

curiosa

« Reply #63 on: Oct 12, 2016, 11:19:09 PM »
yes indeed, as grey said. the idea of a couple has attracted me on a very abstract level, but not so much on a practical level. even when i think i like it, i actually don't generally speaking. 

re LfL, i wasnt arguing against a relationship, but more for that i really enjoy so much alonetime and there is so much that i just don't like in a relationship - as in all those things that other people do seem to like. i cannot imagine a relation where i could be myself, but if it would be possible, then that would be great. in a way, though, i don't think others would call that a relation.

personally, i'm not for or against singledom, or coupledom, or exclusive relationships or poly-relations or any of all of that sort. why need to have a judgment, i don't really see the point? all of us just have preferences, which might change as well. i'm for relating and i wish i would have more friends i could relate and connect to on a deep and caring level (and i have in the past). and maybe that could be romantic, maybe it is friendship, i have family members i feel that way about.

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2016, 01:38:43 PM by curiosa »

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #64 on: Nov 11, 2016, 09:55:54 PM »
Being single is just a different way to live life.#
I don't find any pressure being in a relationship, on the contrary I feel free and respected and desirable. The only difference really is if the opportunity appear I can sleep with different people anytime I want and if in a relationship I'm monogamous and faithful which I find wonderful to dedicate to someone in love.
Anyway...everybody know's this :P
Single or not, enjoy life to full :-*
Ripley, love what you wrote, especially the last line.
????????????????????
   ???????????????????

Offline scouser

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #65 on: Nov 17, 2016, 08:24:53 PM »
I never thought I'd say it, but I'm actually sick of being single, ready to start a relationship now!
One day I'll laugh about this!😑

Offline outoforder

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #66 on: Nov 17, 2016, 08:44:22 PM »
I'm sick of being single. I think I'd be good in a relationship. Seems nobody goes for that kind of thing..... ???

ooops, back on topic. Good things about being single. Nobody to complain me into cleaning, tidying and chores that can WAIT!

Offline pathpink

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #67 on: Nov 17, 2016, 09:30:07 PM »
I'm sick of being single as well, it's great having friends and going out to meet-ups, but at the end of the day you're on your own and that's not always such fun.

Offline outoforder

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #68 on: Nov 17, 2016, 10:08:17 PM »
I think in fairness though, there should be a good thing about being in a couple thread to even things out. I bet there would be some longings for freedom proclaimed in there.... ;D

Offline PushingThru

• (yep)
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
« Reply #69 on: Dec 07, 2016, 02:39:29 AM »
What's even better than being single is being in a relationship where you have space. I thought I was destined to be single because of my need for this.

So... good things about being single

- assuming own home space: doing what you want, when you want, without any regard to anyone else who might be sharing that space
- duvet days whenever you feel like one
- no need for much planning, and being able to change the plan at a moment's notice
- keeping the double bed to yourself, and being able to decide the temperature
- not having to justify your decisions or explain differences of opinion
No one is obliged to write in ways that appeal to everyone else - we're not paying for the user content. If you don't like it skim past it.

Offline Grey

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • old school old butch
« Reply #70 on: Dec 07, 2016, 01:15:25 PM »
wait wait is there something you're telling us in those first two sentences??!!  :D  :D

especially the duvet days-after long days at work I love being able to just fall onto my pillows and snore away or luxuriously nap for a bit any time without having to explain a thing

Offline Vickilipstick

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #71 on: Mar 07, 2017, 06:58:43 PM »
It boils down to if your happy being single. It really is that simple.

If it has only been for a month or so - or short term then most i would say are ok.

Years being single and really wanting to meet that special person can be bloody miserable.

Im somewhere in between, but given the choice i would definitely prefer to be with someone.

Offline Xof the Elder

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #72 on: Mar 25, 2017, 01:01:55 PM »
No one steals your tampax
Quizas, quizas, quizas....

berdache

« Reply #73 on: Apr 02, 2017, 09:53:22 PM »
^While you're WEARING it!

Offline sarah_m

• Gingerbeer Virgin
  • a design for life
« Reply #74 on: Apr 22, 2017, 11:28:14 AM »
I've been single for so long I've forgotten what its like to be with someone.
I have trouble being single.
It has been lonely.

This site makes me remember what it's like. I've been on my own for 7 years.