Author Topic: Stop Smoking Support  (Read 64176 times)

dvo

Re: Stop Smoking Support
« Reply #30 on: Jul 09, 2008, 08:35:30 AM »
dutchess ghost oogleberry.. all of you rock!
this thread is one of my favourites on GB!
the more quit stories I read about the better I feel and funnily enough the better you feel too! :-*
keep it up, stay focused, and remember the good stuff you're doing to yourself by not smoking

Offline Dutchess

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #31 on: Jul 10, 2008, 05:56:01 AM »
Day 3

Almost caved yesterday, but still on track  8)

Offline oogleberry

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • By Kit
« Reply #32 on: Jul 10, 2008, 09:47:41 AM »
Day 3

Almost caved yesterday, but still on track  8)

That is really well done!! its so easy to cave but holding out until the craving passes feels really good!!!

:D
yes oogleberry.... you are the sexiest, most attractive..... MOST GIGGLY girl in the room.... Though you may be the last to leave... as im not sure your head will fit through the door these days!

Offline Ding-Dong!

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • See....I told you I could fit!!
« Reply #33 on: Jul 10, 2008, 11:25:44 AM »
Well done, oogleberry....in fact, well done to everyone who has given up smoking!

I used to smoke. I tried for years to give up, but didn't have the willpower.
Then, I got hypnotised and gave up immediately. That was in 1991.  ;D

I did feel a bit weird for several weeks, feeling like I'd forgot to do something all the time. I never once craved cigarettes or nicotine, though. The patches didn't exist then, as far as I know.

I've come to the conclusion that it's the habit of smoking that grips most people into lighting up again, not necessarily the nicotine withdrawal, although nicotine is a powerful drug!

I think hypnosis should be available on the NHS......maybe it is??

Anyway, it was the best 40 I've ever spent (cigarettes were 1.85 then, going up to 2.00 for 20)!

I still fancy a cigarette now and then, but know I will NEVER smoke again, but mostly, I hate the smell of cigarettes, especially on peoples clothes, breath, etc.

Offline Dutchess

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #34 on: Jul 10, 2008, 02:48:35 PM »
Thanks for that Ding Dong.

Really struggling today, I seem to be ok until I eat - have tried not eating but that just makes me grumpier  ::)
I hate this feeling of 'something missing' all the time, it's the taste of something I miss and I can't replace that taste, have tried sweet things and savoury - I'm going nuuuuuttsssss!!!!!

Offline oogleberry

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • By Kit
« Reply #35 on: Jul 10, 2008, 03:40:30 PM »
@ Dutchess - know what you mean about after eating!!! Hang in there mate!
yes oogleberry.... you are the sexiest, most attractive..... MOST GIGGLY girl in the room.... Though you may be the last to leave... as im not sure your head will fit through the door these days!

fetishkitty

« Reply #36 on: Jul 10, 2008, 08:43:55 PM »
Not sure if this will help, but I found that eating smoked foods sometimes sorted out really bad cravings.  So smoked fish or bacon...or you can get smoked tofu or almonds if you're veggie.

If things are really bad it might be worth a shot.

kitty

ghost

« Reply #37 on: Jul 10, 2008, 09:42:49 PM »
That is really interesting. I love smoked foods - salmon especially, and kippers. I know they're meant to be v bad.  Nonetheless, love them.

I was out with work mates tonight and a good friend and I were talking about not smoking - she gave up many years ago but was also a Golden Virginia roll-up smoker like me - anyway, she said that we should be avoiding eggplant as it has nicotine in its skin.  And I do really rather love eggplant/aubergine, and always have.

Well! I've never heard that before. 

But it's not the same, is it - you know, oh feck I need to go outside and have a fag, or oh feck i need to go outside and have a small crispbread with some aubergine and smoked salmon pate.

Well hang on in there all of us.   :-* :-*

Offline Uncle Pants

• Gingerbeer Lifer
  • Too postmodern to care (V.V., 19/8/08)
« Reply #38 on: Jul 10, 2008, 09:44:24 PM »
 ;)
"get out of my thread you twisted love puppet" -- outoforder

ghost

« Reply #39 on: Jul 10, 2008, 09:46:12 PM »
 ;D

Offline Ding-Dong!

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • See....I told you I could fit!!
« Reply #40 on: Jul 11, 2008, 09:24:40 AM »
I feel a bit of a sham because I gave up smoking so easily in the end. Although, I did struggle the way everyone on here has or is struggling, when I first tried to give up.

I've been known to fish my own dog ends out of the bin and light one up (or more) for a quick drag on it! How disgusting is that?   :o

One thing the hypnotist told me was that I wouldn't need to replace cigarettes with food, and I didn't...but she said, if I wanted to, I could choose 3 things a day, like an apple, some celery, carrots, etc. and each time I ate one of them, I would feel healthier....and I did! Maybe worth a try?
The power of suggestion!  ;D

@ fetishkitty.......that sounds like a great idea!

How about carrying some Amethyst around with you all day? This is a lovely crystal and readily available (and cheap, less than 1) apart from lots of other things, it's good for addictions in general.
Brown Jasper is good for smoking, in particular, so if you can get hold of a piece of that, it may help you.
They don't have to be big lumps, small peices have the same properties.

I'm sending you all some positive vibes to start your day.

Today will be easier than yesterday!  ;)

Offline Uncle Pants

• Gingerbeer Lifer
  • Too postmodern to care (V.V., 19/8/08)
« Reply #41 on: Jul 11, 2008, 09:27:29 AM »
I feel a bit of a sham because I gave up smoking so easily in the end. Although, I did struggle the way everyone on here has or is struggling, when I first tried to give up.

A thing I read that I found very helpful in encouraging me to try again after having found it too hard in the past was the research literature on success rates of people over 30 being significantly higher than those of people in their 20s. It made it seem more pointful to try again, in spite of several unsuccessful attempts in my 20s.
"get out of my thread you twisted love puppet" -- outoforder

Offline oogleberry

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • By Kit
« Reply #42 on: Jul 11, 2008, 10:09:39 AM »

A thing I read that I found very helpful in encouraging me to try again after having found it too hard in the past was the research literature on success rates of people over 30 being significantly higher than those of people in their 20s. It made it seem more pointful to try again, in spite of several unsuccessful attempts in my 20s.

^ will try to imagine I'm in my 30's then for more success  ;D

Offline kit

• Gingerbeer Diva
    • LGBT photography
« Reply #43 on: Jul 11, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »
hang in there babe. Am really impressed you have stuck to your guns!

Offline Dutchess

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #44 on: Jul 11, 2008, 02:33:02 PM »
Maybe a stressful time isn't a good time to quit  :-\

Day 4 of no smoking  :o