Author Topic: Stop Smoking Support  (Read 66170 times)

MsGarbo

Re: Stop Smoking Support
« Reply #15 on: Jul 02, 2008, 03:26:16 PM »
21 days to break a habit
hold on for 3 weeks and youre done

What a bunch of galloupe...

A habit?...
Nicotine addiction is alledgedly worse than crack cocaine, and you're calling it a habit?....

And no, after 3 weeks you're not done... Once you smoked, it will be a lifetime battle not to. Not for everybody but for quite a few, hence why people start again even after not having smoked for years.

dvo

« Reply #16 on: Jul 02, 2008, 03:33:43 PM »
great positive post.. I am sure oogleberry and others reading will feel really hopeful about beating the addiction now ::)

Offline oogleberry

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • By Kit
« Reply #17 on: Jul 02, 2008, 03:57:34 PM »
I appreciate that you're never done with smoking and that it may be a lifelong battle but it is one that I'm wiling to take on and am taking on.

I'm hoping it will at least become easier after 3 weeks... less cravings etc.

@MH - really appreciate your support. It does help  :D
yes oogleberry.... you are the sexiest, most attractive..... MOST GIGGLY girl in the room.... Though you may be the last to leave... as im not sure your head will fit through the door these days!

fetishkitty

« Reply #18 on: Jul 02, 2008, 07:43:15 PM »
It does get easier...I remember how terrifying it was to quit last February, thinking of the daily battle I had ahead of me.  Do I still get cravings?  Of course.  I smoked for over 20 years, on and off.  The difference is that I don't want to smoke any more, so the battle is easy to win, if it even troubles my consciousness at all.

If nothing else, I'm not sure how I would afford to smoke - I spent over 200 a month on fags.  I certainly don't have that amount of money left at the end of the month these days.

Keep it up oogleberry, you're doing a great job.

kitty

Offline Ratty

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #19 on: Jul 03, 2008, 12:51:48 PM »
I agree that it gets easier. I gave up in 1985 and I never, ever think about smoking, at all.  It seems completely alien to me and I can't believe I actually did it.

Listen to the quiet people

ghost

« Reply #20 on: Jul 07, 2008, 12:08:27 AM »
How's it going, oogleberry?

Offline Dutchess

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #21 on: Jul 08, 2008, 08:18:02 AM »
I have as from today quit smoking - I have quit before and lasted 3 years  :o

Day 1.

Offline Hackneylady

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #22 on: Jul 08, 2008, 09:28:17 AM »

Day 1.

Hurrah for you.  :)  Lots of luck.

Offline oogleberry

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • By Kit
« Reply #23 on: Jul 08, 2008, 10:27:07 AM »

Day 1.

YAY   :D

@ ghost - its going really well - I almost feel as if I never smoked... definitely getting easier, I believe its two weeks today!!!
yes oogleberry.... you are the sexiest, most attractive..... MOST GIGGLY girl in the room.... Though you may be the last to leave... as im not sure your head will fit through the door these days!

Offline Uncle Pants

• Gingerbeer Lifer
  • Too postmodern to care (V.V., 19/8/08)
« Reply #24 on: Jul 08, 2008, 11:31:56 AM »
I stopped in 2001. It was difficult, but I was motivated. Things that helped were replacing cigarettes with a different behaviour, and changing routines I'd developed around smoking wherever possible. Also, I did my best to avoid smokers (or really just avoided smokers who weren't willing to humour me by not smoking when I was about). I read a lot of medical literature about the potential benefits of giving up, and I had some helpful friends who were very supportive.

For ages I was terrified of being around other smokers in case I felt tempted and ended up back in the habit, but I'm over that now. When I was at Bona Ballroom in February, I was a bit drunk and I was standing outside with some smokers and had a puff of someone's cigarette -- first time in years. I didn't like it at all, and have had no inclination whatsoever to do it again since.
"get out of my thread you twisted love puppet" -- outoforder

Offline oogleberry

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • By Kit
« Reply #25 on: Jul 08, 2008, 03:45:37 PM »
Am suddenly struggling at the moment, thinking it might be
a combination of caffeine and stress.

I haven't been too stressed since I gave up, but I would always
take a break and smoke when finding myself in this position...

F*** it, i'll just leave the office and go for a walk... perhaps that
will help.

Offline Dutchess

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #26 on: Jul 09, 2008, 07:39:33 AM »
I hope you managed to distract yourself  :-*

It's my day 2.
Already my breathing is improving and no smokers cough this morning. Amazing how quick our bodies start to heal.

ghost

« Reply #27 on: Jul 09, 2008, 08:50:04 AM »
that's brilliant
My cough has disappeared completely now - I gave up on May 18th - and I can run on the gym treadmill for 15 mins without thinking I'm going to die of suffocation 
Our bodies don't want smoke in them! So bloody obvious, but true
are you using any patches or other sort of support?
I found the worst times were like having very bad PMT - but it passes really quickly in the great scheme of things. Motivation - wanting to stay stopped - is the most important thing

Big cheer for all those quitting  :D

ghost

« Reply #28 on: Jul 09, 2008, 08:55:17 AM »
http://www.click2quit.com/

Oh, and these people really help me - the discussion boards are excellent for support and motivation

fetishkitty

« Reply #29 on: Jul 09, 2008, 09:21:40 AM »
This is cool too:

http://www.quitmeter.com/

My stats are:
72 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 1 minute, 5 seconds since I stopped smoking, 15,308 cigarettes not smoked, 3,827.00 saved!!

kitty