Author Topic: Stop Smoking Support  (Read 66171 times)

Offline oogleberry

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • By Kit
Stop Smoking Support
« on: Jun 27, 2008, 04:22:07 PM »
I am giving up smoking at the moment and it is going well so far.
I've become slightly paranoid over the last few hours about gaining loads of weight as I've found myself eating loads...

currently on my desk is a bag of skittles, chocolate (bearing in mind I don't like chocolate) and I've been snacking on carrots and little bertiolli crispies and dipping those into hummus...
And I've been applying lip gloss, eating my pencil etc...

seem to be having an oral obsession at the moment  ::)

Who else is giving up smoking and how are you finding it???

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ex-smokers list to celebrate us (anyone can join even if they gave up years ago):

Mike Hunt
Uncle Barry
Ivy
Dutchess
Tiffbadhairdo
ruthie
Fetishkitty
Aubergine
Kit
Ding-Dong!
Ghost
AG78
Littlesea
Debspa
Chelsea99
Sinewave
stina.c
DY2KE
salamander
skull_bone
B.O.B
Lucifer
DoubleD
L'boi
Sonico
Kate B
Spritzy
nicegirl
Rosie
Valerie
Biker bunny
chappers
Mrs Ruby Tuesday Chunter
outoforder
petalponk
TC
Lizard? I used to know a Lizard.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2010, 04:46:19 PM by oogleberry »
yes oogleberry.... you are the sexiest, most attractive..... MOST GIGGLY girl in the room.... Though you may be the last to leave... as im not sure your head will fit through the door these days!

betterthanaverage

Re: Stop Smoking Support
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »
I've never smoked so I can't help you but I wish you all the best sweetie. :)

Rosie

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2008, 06:04:15 PM »
As I mentioned on the other thread, I plan to give up later this year and I know a couple of people are currently in the process of giving up so I hope this thread keeps going and I will follow it with interest :D

Good luck you and well done taking the plunge :D

Apart from nibbling all kinds of stuff, are you using any NRT type products? I found the inhalators (those plastic ciggie shaped thingies) good when I tried to give up previously in that they  stopped me wanting sweets and snacks (they didn't work in the longer term because I let myself down but they were quite handy) :D

Offline oogleberry

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • By Kit
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2008, 06:07:05 PM »
I found the inhalators (those plastic ciggie shaped thingies) good when I tried to give up previously in that they  stopped me wanting sweets and snacks (they didn't work in the longer term because I let myself down but they were quite handy) :D

Thanks for that... I might try that.  :D

@ BTA - thank you  :D
yes oogleberry.... you are the sexiest, most attractive..... MOST GIGGLY girl in the room.... Though you may be the last to leave... as im not sure your head will fit through the door these days!

Offline ruthie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • Love your inner lesbian
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2008, 06:42:31 PM »
i've either been on patches or cigarettes or both for the last 5 years. I was doing well, but then moved house and launched two reports and have two more coming out in the next two weeks, so i'm back on rollies.

my plan is to go back on patches on monday, but also get an appointment to discuss zyban. When i'm on the patches i'm not smoking - but that's not the same as not wanting to smoke

xx

ghost

« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2008, 11:46:14 AM »
I gave up using patches to start off with, but actually found that I was so allergic to them it was impossible to wear them.
There was something extremely important for me in the ritual of opening the patch, finding a place to stick it ( :)) and knowing I was wearing one and therefore couldn't/shouldn't smoke that was crucial for the first week.
They are odd - you feel odd most of the time. Not dreadful, just odd - slighly spaced out and weird.
The other very, very important thing for me was joining a stop smoking group (Niquitin) and have followed their programme to the letter (- although they're v big of course on people using their products and I used nicotine replacement therapy for just one week insted of three months).  There is a great message board, you can get texts and emails to support you, you get a nice pack of supportive material through the post, a chart to fill in for each day you've stopped, which I love -  and generally feel very very looked after.
This is my fourth and final quit, and I could not have done it, I'm sure, without the support of this lot. Yes I've had some v uncomfortable moments, but they do pass.
The only other thing is the motivation - someone very close to me died of cancer last year and I felt more and more strongly that I could not be part of a consumerist society which gives tobacco companies profits for poison.  And I couldn't go on harming myself when I have a family who adore me.
And as for the weight gain - it's normal as your body's metabolism adjusts - but as you feel fitter and have more energy, you'll exercise more. Well that's the theory  :)
I've been exercising a lot and just get home even more ravenous than before.  But weight gain is really the least of your worries - the damage cigarettes do is far, far worse than having flabby thighs.
As for Zyban - I did try it a few years ago and hated it. I felt nothing. No cravings, no happiness, no sadness, nothing.  I could have watched my family be murdered in front of me I think and just thought 'oh well, there you go.'  

So - patches - great, allergies, not great - cold turkey: good but tricky but you have the nicotine out of your system quickly.  And really, really wanting not to smoke - that's key.  
Good luck - it's a fantastic feeling to have stopped.  :)

Offline Dutchess

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2008, 11:56:36 AM »
I'll be joining you soon oogleberry   :)

Hope things are going well for you.

Offline oogleberry

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • By Kit
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2008, 05:10:10 PM »
Really helpful post Ghost  :D

@ Dutchess - thanks

*update*

I'm doing really really well  :D
still not smoking. Went clubbing last night and thought it would be very hard but I found it was actually not bad and I was having such a good time that smoking never crossed my mind...
I do find it odd waiting for busses and walking to the station without having a cigarette as that had become a habit

dvo

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2008, 05:16:35 PM »
21 days to break a habit
hold on for 3 weeks and youre done

here's a few threads from before -

http://boards.gingerbeer.co.uk/index.php?topic=80878.0
http://boards.gingerbeer.co.uk/index.php?topic=62586.0
http://boards.gingerbeer.co.uk/index.php?topic=74924.0
http://boards.gingerbeer.co.uk/index.php?topic=77590.0

use quit line
use NR products
use your friends
when you want to snoke - walk run until it passes
do not worry about food and weight - that is easy to deal with later once youve saved your life...

stay strong
remember you are in control
well done!

ghost

« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2008, 08:12:44 AM »
In fact I have a leftover pack of patches (one week's worth) if anyone would like it - they're the strongest, 21 mg.  IM me and I'll pop them in the post  :)

Offline oogleberry

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • By Kit
« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »
Today is difficult but I'm gonna be strong and get through it.

ghost

« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2008, 09:06:47 AM »
Good for you - keep it up
It can be very lonely at times - that's when I found it the hardest, when you're doing the things that always used to involve a cigarette, but you don't have one and there's a sort of bereavement feeling that creeps in. But it does go, and it's important to get lots of support and have relaxation / stress-busting techniques to hand.
And like MH said - three weeks to break a habit - so each time you walk to the station and DON'T have a smoke, that's breaking one habit and reinforcing a new, good one - the habit of not smoking.

And keep telling yourself you are doing the right thiong - no question about it. There's no room for debate, no tricking yourself into having just the one.  It's the right decision and that's that.

It's a brilliant thing to do and in ten years time you will love yourself so much for being strong now.

Offline oogleberry

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • By Kit
« Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2008, 01:37:25 PM »
Well I've done a week now...
*high fives myself*

@ghost... thank you for your support  :-*

Offline kit

• Gingerbeer Diva
    • LGBT photography
« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2008, 01:51:44 PM »
am proud of you oogleberry for sticking to your guns!!!

dvo

« Reply #14 on: Jul 02, 2008, 10:37:36 AM »
yay you! :D
thats 1/3 of the habit kicked
you have no nicotine on your system
and you can prove you don't need to smoke having not needed to for 7 days already..