Author Topic: What did you learn today ?  (Read 66301 times)

Offline auburn57

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
Re: What did you learn today ?
« Reply #1095 on: Dec 24, 2017, 03:48:18 PM »
I would like to wish everyone a holiday filled with joy and peace ~ we so need it.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."
Albert Einstein:

Offline auburn57

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #1096 on: Feb 03, 2018, 01:06:54 PM »
Am of an age where I am now very close to being the older generation.
Am also of the generation who had to create their own families so,
coping with the death of 2 close friends within a span of 4 months has me pondering my own future.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."
Albert Einstein:

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #1097 on: Feb 03, 2018, 06:02:52 PM »
That's awful, Auburn 57. I am sorry to hear about your friends.

Offline auburn57

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #1098 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:26:49 AM »
Thank you Lust for Life.

The fact that this close friend lives/lived overseas & I cannot feasibly attend the funeral does not help either.
However, I shall be pre recording a short note to be aired.
Trying to see if there is a way to skype into the service (modern world might well work).

My other friend lived locally so no issue re funeral.

The other issue is that legally an extended family is not legally recognized as being family. So chin up, grin and bear it.
Albert Einstein:

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1099 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:31:31 AM »
Things are changing on that front, very slowly. It still tends to be limited to people who share a home, though, at least initially. One day.....

What I learned today is that storing records in a hospital attic can help the world, 70 years on.
The babies born in the starvation winter of 44-45, and the pregnancy records (incl. weight and diet) of their mothers were 'found' twenty years ago in Amsterdam. The babies named in the records were traced and took part in several studies and now the records form an important contribution to combatting the effects of poverty and malnutrition.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018, 09:38:57 AM by Lust for Life »

Offline auburn57

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #1100 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:44:55 PM »
What I learned today is that storing records in a hospital attic can help the world, 70 years on.
The babies born in the starvation winter of 44-45, and the pregnancy records (incl. weight and diet) of their mothers were 'found' twenty years ago in Amsterdam. The babies named in the records were traced and took part in several studies and now the records form an important contribution to combatting the effects of poverty and malnutrition.
[/quote]

That a positive came out of that horror is nice. Let's hope it's never repeated.
Albert Einstein:

Offline auburn57

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #1101 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:46:44 PM »
Learned today:
This thread has:

1,100 Replies

Who knew it would go this far ?

:)
Albert Einstein:

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1102 on: Feb 06, 2018, 11:34:20 PM »

That a positive came out of that horror is nice. Let's hope it's never repeated.
[/quote]

Well... Unfortunately that level of malnutrition is still fairly commonplace, just not in Europe. Whoch is why the research is good. I have mixed feelings about the consequences though: pregnant women will be prioritized for food in order to protect the next generation, for economic reasons. Which is good, but at the same time a bit crap that a woman will get priority because of being a 'vessel' (and only if she's pregnant?):-\

Offline auburn57

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #1103 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:26:17 AM »
Read a Sci-Fi books decades ago who story went along the lines of:
Women are to blame for the destruction of the world - it's all their fault. Women did not fight this just allowing the 'boys' to get it out of their system. But, by then it was too late-
Women were kept as 'vessels' much as many sows and cows are treated. Once their 'usefulness was over most were then disposed of. Oh some were kept to clean and a few for recreational purposes.
Scared me as it's so plausible.
Albert Einstein:

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #1104 on: Apr 25, 2018, 05:22:57 PM »
that one feeds their basil plant from the bottom of the pot
The most permanent characteristic in life is change.

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1105 on: Apr 25, 2018, 10:20:17 PM »
that one feeds their basil plant from the bottom of the pot

Yup, AND they drink a LOT! I've been treating this one better and so far, it's working!

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #1106 on: May 14, 2018, 09:27:32 AM »
Well, not today, but very recently, went to a great play about two women, one of whom was an aviator back in the (19)twenties. I had never heard of her, which was kind of the point, really.

Lady (Mary) Heath. The play is on in Dublin throughout this month, if you can get there.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:35:53 AM by Lust for Life »

Offline valerie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #1107 on: May 17, 2018, 06:55:38 PM »
I am going to see  a play at Bewley's in June.
The most permanent characteristic in life is change.