Author Topic: Good quality business suits  (Read 1039 times)

Offline dykeletter

• Gingerbeer Diva
Good quality business suits
« on: Nov 27, 2007, 12:05:25 PM »
I start a new job this coming Monday, and was hoping to go shopping for one or  two new suits.  I want something, preferably tailored to fit me, but an alteration (at this stage!) might be ok too. 

I dislike a lot of the expectation that women are expected to have a massive wardrobe, but I do need to upgrade my look slightly for the new position.  Consequently, I'd like to buy two, reasonably expensive, but plain (black and dark grey) suits (I'm thinking around 200 each).  I want them to last for at least a year, hopefully saving me from having to spend too much on my wardrobe.  I also want men's suits, but tailored slightly around my shape.

However, due to a general lack of planning and having been abroad recently, I had not realised how long it takes to tailor a suit.  I've found a company that can do it in 3 to 8 weeks, but obviously I need something for Monday!  As a result, I've decided that I might need to buy one now and have it altered for Monday, and then get the second suit elsewhere.

Can anybody recommend a firm that could produce a suit and do an alteration for Monday?  I want it to be properly fitted by experts, rather than just somebody with a casual tape measure, looking to make quick money!  Has anybody had this done so quickly?  Who did it?  Was the result acceptable?
"It's a secret I can keep except when I'm tired, except when I'm being caught off guard.  I've had a lonesome awful day, the conversation finds its way to catching fire flies out in the backyard..." Dar Williams

commander clayp00l

Re: Good quality business suits
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2007, 02:27:46 PM »
haven't you been asking about suits for about a year now? Just think if you'd had one ordered back then, it'd be all ready now... 8)

Personally, I think you're asking for a compromise too far - just buy one or two ready to wear and wait for one to be made. Qualified experts certainly wont be able to do anything in a few days. Also, in my experience, it is difficult to have alterations done anyway, maybe you are taller and leaner than me but once you start doing anything more than the slightest alterations (simply length) you change the cut and structure of the suit so much that results are unpredictable.

Buy some fabulous shirts to detract from the suits.

Offline dykeletter

• Gingerbeer Diva
Re: Good quality business suits
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2007, 03:04:58 PM »
haven't you been asking about suits for about a year now? Just think if you'd had one ordered back then, it'd be all ready now... 8)

I don't think that was me.  *puzzled*  ::)  It might have been, but I doubt it.  Maybe lots of beeries look for suits!

Personally, I think you're asking for a compromise too far - just buy one or two ready to wear and wait for one to be made. Qualified experts certainly wont be able to do anything in a few days. Also, in my experience, it is difficult to have alterations done anyway, maybe you are taller and leaner than me but once you start doing anything more than the slightest alterations (simply length) you change the cut and structure of the suit so much that results are unpredictable.

Buy some fabulous shirts to detract from the suits.

I have conceded on the compromise too far part.  I'm going to buy one tonight, have some alterations done, and then hopefully get one made.  *excited*  I like the idea of having clothes made for me :)
"It's a secret I can keep except when I'm tired, except when I'm being caught off guard.  I've had a lonesome awful day, the conversation finds its way to catching fire flies out in the backyard..." Dar Williams