Author Topic: Content of the speeches at Reclaim the Night this year  (Read 13101 times)

slightlyspikeygirl

Re: Content of the speeches at Reclaim the Night this year
« Reply #90 on: Nov 28, 2007, 06:22:01 PM »
desk?

Offline SteadyCat

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #91 on: Nov 28, 2007, 06:23:14 PM »
 I'm not going to continue. thank you.   ;D
This is my favorite book at the moment and it's also a kindle book on Amazon!

http://www.xcitebooks.co.uk/Book/7715/Delicious-Divas.html

Offline Charlotte Mew

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • aka VV
« Reply #92 on: Nov 28, 2007, 11:43:11 PM »
As an activist and an organiser I feel completely at ease discussing the merits or not of varying events. I have been commenting back to stuff that was raised in this thread, as I have pointed out, I wasn't at the march or rally. I have organised plenty of events that have had small yet crucial elements criticised. I have heard the criticisms and addressed them the next time. As I have also pointed out I am generally in support of the principles of RtN and would have been there if I had been in London. Are the organisers of RtN somehow sacrosanct from the same rules of engagement as the rest of us activists/organisers? I doubt very much if they want to be.

*applauds*  (and El Stinko too)

I find this line of 'ok then you come and organise it better rather than criticising' very bizarre.   TtN are not only an organising group, they have a political agenda.  It is excellent they have such even though I don't always agree with it.  I don't expect women to do huge amounts of organising work without promoting their own political views.  They are not being paid to do the march by some funding body on everyone's behalf (as if...)   Anyone who takes a strong political line must surely expect criticism and comment and for many of us not to agree with their politics.  Simply because they organised the march does not make their opinions sacrosanct.  There may very likely be criticism and controversy.  In particular some women may criticise by pointing out inconsistencies if they see them.   Isn't that how politics works?  Or should we all be holding hands and breathing together ?
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2007, 11:45:22 PM by V.V. »

kate b

« Reply #93 on: Nov 28, 2007, 11:49:11 PM »
  Or should we all be holding hands and breathing together ?

Ooh, sounds almost tantric.

*warming to the idea*