Author Topic: RF Stuff & random disclosures!  (Read 655004 times)

Offline Sherpa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Swinging!
Re: RF Stuff & random disclosures!
« Reply #14460 on: Jul 10, 2017, 01:06:24 PM »
Our daughter, 7, has started to comment on her family setup - she told us the other day, while in the bath, "some people say that dad's are better" (thank mums). We told her that maybe sometimes they are, and sometimes mums are better. We don't want to shut down the conversation, or disparage dads.

Another day she told me that sometimes people ask her why she has two mums, and look shocked like they can't believe it. We asked her what she said to them (because I have, or because they wanted to marry each other), if she minded (sometimes she does and sometimes she doesn't) and talked about the fact that some people just haven't met anyone with two mums before, so they don't know that it can happen, it's unusual. She also said that sometimes people tell her that two girls can't marry each other (her best friend told her this aged 4, because her older sister had told her that - I took our photos of our CP into nursery and showed them to her group) and we talked about the fact black and white people didn't used to be allowed to marry (not sure if that we true in the UK?) and that we still can't get married in church. And that women didn't used to be allowed to vote. So the fact that something hadn't been allowed didn't mean that it was wrong. She was pensive and asked how we had got past it all and if Theresa May had died ... then took her brother's toy away from him so he screamed and conversation was over.

I'm sort of troubled that she's worrying about this stuff but I'm actually more glad that she's talking to us about it. I can't stop it happening but I can help her to address it (or do it myself) and I actually don't think that she's that upset about the situation, only sometimes shy about it.

Offline merce

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: RF Stuff & random disclosures!
« Reply #14461 on: Jul 14, 2017, 09:49:50 AM »
That's good she's talking, sherpa. I found the move into primary school was a point where our son noticed that our bland 'there are lots of different types of family' was a bit different from the very homogenous heterosexual family types he met there, and also he was starting to hear kids questioning gay families . Do you have details of the school's SRE curriculum? That's a place they ought to be discussing it so the teachers are modelling it for them.