Author Topic: RF Stuff & random disclosures!  (Read 655003 times)

Offline merce

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: RF Stuff & random disclosures!
« Reply #14445 on: Mar 06, 2017, 06:53:17 AM »
I don't think many kids can exercise self control with screens. Especially that young. Me neither, come to that.  How frustrating! Can you change the wifi password? Frequently? V annoying I know. But we often keep devices hidden when not in use, or under our eye. I also want to try to conuter the cyborgy aspect of it where kids get surgically attached to the device even when off.

Offline nic

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #14446 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:06:10 PM »
it is so important to control them - mine goes on holiday or the charger goes missing ....

i teach lots of 16+ old boys - brilliant mathematicians who fail their course instead of getting A^ because they so dependent on the computer - the problem is the cleverer they are the more likely they are to crack a level and move on - every cracking of level makes them even more dependent - less mathematically interested students get frustrated and give up - parents call me in despair about their kids and that they are in a terrible mood when the computer is gone - i am working with our councilor to set up sessions to get students off their addiction

Offline Amphelise

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • Christine, Wondering
« Reply #14447 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:21:50 PM »
Merce, it's not the wifi (the game he was using doesn't even need it), it's the tablet himself. But it's all locked down now.

He's been brilliant about self-control until this most recent game came along, and I can't even be too mad - the bit he's obsessed with is actually a programming module, where he can design, play and share levels of his own. I want him to program computers! Just not at 6am  ;D
"Well, at least I'm not a time-traveling, shape-shifting robot operated by miniaturized cross people. Which I've got to admit, I didn't see coming." ~ The Doctor

Offline nic

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #14448 on: Mar 07, 2017, 10:36:45 PM »
are there any kids programming clubs near you?

he sounds fantastic - i am very fond of my computer science students - brilliant group and always so good with any problem solving

Offline animalnitrate

• Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Tawdry force
« Reply #14449 on: Mar 11, 2017, 07:22:27 AM »
Do you already know about this initiative, amphelise? https://www.codeclub.org.uk

(Probably yes you do, and you likely have a much more informed viewpoint than I do about whether it is actually any good in practice!)

Offline Amphelise

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • Christine, Wondering
« Reply #14450 on: Mar 11, 2017, 09:56:05 PM »
Nic, he is fab - so bright! Smart & articulate enough that we sometimes forget how little he still is.

My mum & stepdad are both computer scientists, and I wish they lived close enough to teach him!

Do you already know about this initiative, amphelise? https://www.codeclub.org.uk

(Probably yes you do, and you likely have a much more informed viewpoint than I do about whether it is actually any good in practice!)

I didn't actually! Unfortunately his school doesn't run one and the local public one is full. I'll keep an eye on it though & see if a place comes up.
"Well, at least I'm not a time-traveling, shape-shifting robot operated by miniaturized cross people. Which I've got to admit, I didn't see coming." ~ The Doctor

Offline nic

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #14451 on: Mar 12, 2017, 12:37:03 PM »
get in toich with them they might be able to sort his school out - my students help out in the local schools running these - it always makes me smile when i see this big and small computer fans getting on about stuff - they have such a lovely way of learning together

Offline animalnitrate

• Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Tawdry force
« Reply #14452 on: Apr 12, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »
There are all these weird irrational and semi-conscious expectations I keep finding I have.

One is that school holidays will make things easier. So we must just push on through the tired end-of-term bit, for there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Well, bullshit. I mean, not for J, he is more rested and getting ready to do the next term (although not as rested as I would really like - working mother guilt etc). Me? No, I am *less* rested. Obviously. I genuinely can't think why I expected to feel otherwise, but it is quite clear I did.

I definitely had a similar bonkers expectation that 'everything would be easier' once he was at school. That one I actually think other random people also told me. What? Why? There is no rationale for this.

Online Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #14453 on: Apr 12, 2017, 10:27:05 PM »
My stress levels rocketed once my teenagers reached school leaving age ::)

I think this may have something to do with the panicky feeling that they were now adults but that this had sme how crept up on me, and I wasn't done with bringing them up. There were all sorts of things I had put off for a rainy day or something, and hadn't got round to yet.

I recently realised that it was kind of ok to still fix some things I felt I had done wrongly or inadequately. Kind of better late than never. With mutual consent, obviously. My most grown up son agrees. We now have belated mother son bonding time every few weeks. It gives us a chance to hang out, away from the household stress we had when he still lived here. He taught me to snowboard on our last outing :D
St

Offline nic

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #14454 on: Apr 18, 2017, 09:13:35 PM »
before i had a child i used weekends to party and relax from the working world

since i had a child the week is to recover from weekends and often half terms

the only time i really get to relax are the 4 weeks of summer holidays we get together when we go backpacking in greece - nothing much to worry about but a lovely time .....

dont feel guilty its fine to be a working mum. my one said tonight its much better to be a single mum then you dont have a husband who wants a divorce and have time for your child and are not stressed by someone else --- funny i have always been single since i had her ....  but i guess she sees what goes on in other houses

Offline Medusa

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #14455 on: May 11, 2017, 10:04:18 PM »
I think it makes sense on so many levels to be more anxious when your offspring are older. Mine are about to take GCSEs and I am finding it incredibly stressful. So much at stake and such a stupid, shitty system. And yes, that sense of the big wide world getting ever closer, as you describe LfL.

I worry for them. I might worry less in the absence of autism and various other factors that complicate things, but even for average/neurotypical/'normal' teenagers, the world is hard to navigate and the sense of responsibility to prepare them for it as best you can can weigh very heavily. I am finding it hard. I should perhaps remind myself that I left home with next to no useful skills whatsoever from my parents and I appear to have survived...
Every day is a bad hair day.

Offline nic

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #14456 on: May 15, 2017, 08:50:55 PM »
good luck to your boys i keep my fingers crossed for them

i had nothing but tempertandrums at work today - i am so glad when these GCSEs and A levels are over and we can have proper learning time again - its a crazy system - on onehand everything depends on a very few exams yet if you compare the breath of study to most European countries it all lacks behind - a proper modular assessment was so much better allowing kids to grow and think now its just best performance on the day ..... more breath would do no one any harm - i feel for these young people and i do worry about them and love it when i get years later card or emais tellign me to what hey are doing .....

i guess you are riht the older they get the more you worry because the impact of things becomes greater every time -

Offline animalnitrate

• Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Tawdry force
« Reply #14457 on: May 15, 2017, 09:12:59 PM »
I recently realised that it was kind of ok to still fix some things I felt I had done wrongly or inadequately. Kind of better late than never. With mutual consent, obviously. My most grown up son agrees. We now have belated mother son bonding time every few weeks. It gives us a chance to hang out, away from the household stress we had when he still lived here. He taught me to snowboard on our last outing :D

This is lovely to read.

Medusa - I hear you. It's hard to say things which aren't platitudes. Your three are all wonderful young people. I hate that so much of the immediate future, at least, hinges on their success/luck over the next few weeks. No matter how it goes, none of it is ever insurmountable, of course; but nAturally you would want progress to be as smooth and uncomplicated as possible. I hope it will be. :-*

Nic - lovely that your little one is so definite that your family setup is the ideal one - speaks volumes about how content she must be with the life/family you've made!

I have a week off work next week - the childminder is on holiday, and actually taking a week of parental leave seemed viable and a much better option than trying to work out whether I can keep all the plates spinning with a load of evening work and running down my flexi credit a bit. I'm so excited for it. I am going to go to that Queer Art thing at the Tate, get my hair cut, have a nap, and spend two days at the British Library pretending to 'research' stuff completely unrelated to my actual work. And, of course, I will pick J up from school every day. It's going to be brilliant for both of us.

Offline k1t5un3

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #14458 on: Jun 22, 2017, 10:31:47 AM »
nic- I hear ya. I left mainstream teaching because I became fed up with this exam factory system. This year I started maternity leave just before exams, so at least I got to escape that mayhem. But I'm still working as an examiner, but it's only because it's extra cash during mat leave. Sadly, even though my son is only 5 weeks old, I'm already worried about our choices when he reaches school age. We're seriously considering to another country, and if not, we'll need money to send him to an independent school with a broader curriculum and fewer exams. Neither of us grew up in this system, or a system so narrow.
"The world we have created is a product of our thinking; it cannot be changed without changing our thinking." -- Albert Einstein

Offline Kallie

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #14459 on: Jul 07, 2017, 08:24:17 AM »
nic- I hear ya. I left mainstream teaching because I became fed up with this exam factory system. This year I started maternity leave just before exams, so at least I got to escape that mayhem. But I'm still working as an examiner, but it's only because it's extra cash during mat leave. Sadly, even though my son is only 5 weeks old, I'm already worried about our choices when he reaches school age. We're seriously considering to another country, and if not, we'll need money to send him to an independent school with a broader curriculum and fewer exams. Neither of us grew up in this system, or a system so narrow.

Home education might also be an option? You/he can define your own curriculum.