Author Topic: Where to go?  (Read 881 times)

girliegirl

Where to go?
« on: May 25, 2007, 03:52:27 PM »
I am looking for a two week holiday mid-July to somewhere that is going to blow me away.  Maybe a road trip with a beach element?

I've already done most of Oz and NZ and also driven round the Grand Canyon.

I don't fancy Africa or Asia particularly (except maybe Sri Lanka).

Was thinking of maybe Cuba, west coast Canada or the Pacific Highway.

Any recommendations or must-sees?

Offline Brisbane

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Loving your work!!
    • MySpace
Re: Where to go?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 03:13:03 PM »
I drove around West Coast Canada for a couple of weeks and the scenery was amazing. We came across wild animals everywhere!

It was April when we went and so just the end of the ski season. We walked over the very frozen Lake Louise, and went to Banff, skiied at Sunshine Mountain Edmonton, Jasper, Whistler, Vancouver, Vancouver Island and everywhere in between. It was really really pretty and hiring a car meant we could stop wherever we wanted. Def recommend that.

I have been to Cuba and it was the worst place I have ever been in my life. Considering the places that I go to for work and the amount of holidays I have been on it really stands out. Based on 4 days in Havana (I haven't done the 'resorts' as that isn't really my kinda holiday). I have never been so harassed in my life. (I have been to India travelling 2 times and Egypt about 4 times and never had I had anything similar to what I got in Havana).

Do you want a room? Do you want to come to my sisters cigar factory? Do you want a tour guide. At first it was comical but in the end we were struggling to find something we liked about the place. The food was awful. We were going to stay in a pensione but the area it was in was questionable so we stayed in Verdado. The hotel was very average (although advertised to be a lot nicer)

The best part of it all was seeing a couple all dressed up doing the salsa in their front room. I will remember that forever. It was just amazing.

We were also there for their National Day which was in July and there was about 1 million Cubans waving their flags singing Guantanamera - it was very moving.

If we had not been two girls and had been a couple I don't think we would have had so much trouble at all. Also, I found it frustrating that we paid in American Dollars and the locals paid in Cuban pesos.....
I *heart* facebook. it's just another forum for me to overshare massively, vainly take excellent pictures of myself and post them all over the place, and stalk my friends 'going-ons' like an obsessive maniac.