Author Topic: Kinder Scout  (Read 1166 times)

hollygolightly

Kinder Scout
« on: May 14, 2007, 10:08:49 AM »
To all those who have been lucky enough to have walked this - any suggested routes?  Was planning to go via the Snake Pass.  Would love to hear of any personal experiences of this walk.  Also, any suggested places to stay.

THANK YOU!

jenr

Re: Kinder Scout
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 08:20:01 PM »
I've walked it.  I believe we stayed at Edale YHA.

Don't remember the route/path we took.  However, my Mum is very familiar with all 'British Peaks' and she would be able to tell you anything regarding hill walking (she is a geek who has rocks from Scafell Pike, Bow Fell, etc on her window sill).

Offline The Count

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 02:07:10 AM »
Kinder Scout is fab but you really need map and compass skills to get yourself across - it can be really disorienting because of the deeply cut peat - difficult to walk easily on a compass bearing. 

But it is a lovely place.

*remembers one July day when the wind was howling so bad it made standing upright difficult, the rain was coming in sheets sideways and the mist was so thick you could only see about 5 yards ahead.... yes .... July!  Didn't even attempt to cross on that day, just clung to the edge.  It was fantastic!!!!*

*remembers another day, sunny, set the map, took the bearing, strode off purposefully and reached the other side.... took out map and looked at vista and was disgusted to see they'd moved the road...  ::) *

But don't let any of this put you off - get a good walk book, remember your whistle and Kendal Mint Cake and enjoy   ;D

hollygolightly

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 11:02:25 AM »
Oh ladies, thank you very much for your comments!  Nice to know that I am not the only one to take this on. 

After reading numerous books I have been frantically brushing up on my compass skills, or rather lack of them.  Maybe I could take your mother Uncle Bob - she sounds fab!

I shall check out the YA at Edale.  Once again, thank you!

Holly