Author Topic: Guidelines  (Read 42113 times)

Tethys

Re: Guidelines
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2010, 02:46:16 PM »
Good point. Thank you kiwigoddess.

Offline kiwigoddess

• Gingerbeer Lifer
  • NO pork, prawns, pringles, pineapple, (a)pricots
    • blog
Re: Guidelines
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2010, 03:31:05 PM »
glad to be of pernickety service  :D
"Cliff Richard, with a certain finesse
danced over the dust and the mess
"I'll do my prawn mime,
using marmite this time"
he lied.  Take that, kiwigoddess!"

"one of the best scores in the world..."

new beginnings. uh huh.

Offline EVicT

• Administrator
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • We are the Borg!
    • Gingerbeer - The Lesbian Guide
Moderation
« Reply #62 on: Sep 18, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »
I thought you might like to know a few things about moderation since there is so much speculation about it.

Firstly, 90% of moderation takes place in the background.  Those who report issues are alerted when the issue is being addressed (unless the item is deleted directly).  Sometimes the mod team may discuss the issue before acting.  But rather than spread personal information about a member, the action taken is often kept between the perpetrator and the moderation team.  I'm not a fan of airing 'dirty laundry' in public, I simply don't see how it helps anyone, and it just makes for an unpleasant and bitter environment.

In order to enact a ban you can ban on id, email address or IP address.  Anyone can create a new id, sign up for a new free email address and most ISPs (even those with broadband) use what is called dynamic hosting which means the IP address often changes.  If someone is using an internet cafe then that IP changes every time too.

There are approximately 466 posts posted each day here on the messageboards.  As a result, the moderation team can't possibly read every post and therefore rely on users to 'report to mod' any objectionable content.

Thank you to everyone who has clicked on the report to mod button to alert us to content that is offensive, abusive and bullying in nature.  Please remember that we use the registration agreement as a guide to what should and should not be moderated.  If you report something, then let us know why because we may not know everything that is going on in that circumstance.
Check the content site to see what's happening around the UK and abroad.  http://www.gingerbeer.co.uk

Offline Dykiri

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • People are strange
Re: Moderation
« Reply #63 on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:34:27 AM »
Hm, you killed the thread.

:D

wolfgang

« Reply #64 on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:37:12 AM »
;D

Offline kiwigoddess

• Gingerbeer Lifer
  • NO pork, prawns, pringles, pineapple, (a)pricots
    • blog
« Reply #65 on: Sep 21, 2010, 08:41:45 PM »
 ;D ;D
"Cliff Richard, with a certain finesse
danced over the dust and the mess
"I'll do my prawn mime,
using marmite this time"
he lied.  Take that, kiwigoddess!"

"one of the best scores in the world..."

new beginnings. uh huh.

Scully

« Reply #66 on: Sep 22, 2010, 08:22:48 PM »
Evict, I think people wish that the moderation would happen more quickly. I've been on both ends of it, and sometimes little is done for days...or more (after RTM has been sent).

wolfgang

« Reply #67 on: Sep 22, 2010, 08:29:47 PM »
OK, that's it.  Who are you, and what have you done with Scully?

Scully

« Reply #68 on: Sep 22, 2010, 08:37:13 PM »
It's really simple, Wolfie. Scully is getting laid.

wolfgang

« Reply #69 on: Sep 22, 2010, 08:48:36 PM »
Really, in Wiltshire?

Scully

« Reply #70 on: Sep 22, 2010, 08:52:40 PM »
Among other places.

wolfgang

« Reply #71 on: Sep 22, 2010, 09:12:02 PM »
Oh, stop.  So all I've got to show for celibacy is unhampered pettiness.

Offline EVicT

• Administrator
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • We are the Borg!
    • Gingerbeer - The Lesbian Guide
« Reply #72 on: Sep 23, 2010, 08:02:24 AM »
Evict, I think people wish that the moderation would happen more quickly. I've been on both ends of it, and sometimes little is done for days...or more (after RTM has been sent).

I think that's a fair enough point, unfortunately it's one that we have difficulty addressing.  Mods have limitations in terms of the time that they can spend on Gingerbeer, aside from general living life and not being in front of a computer 24/7 there are specific restrictions.  For instance, one of the places where I work restricts access to Gingerbeer, so on those days I am not able to log into the site at all.

However, there are also times where an issue comes up that requires discussion by the mod team.  We are making an effort to inform those who report that we are discussing the issue they have reported but it may indeed be a day or two before we decide how to respond.  We're getting better at communicating the bits and pieces, we're often working in the background and don't always remember to say that.

That said, due to recent activity, for issues of privacy we have decided that we will act immediately (also for non work-safe words in DCG).

I think a lot of people have taken on the point that it's difficult for us to actively monitor every post on site and are now reporting to mod more often, which is really helpful to us.  If you feel something warrants a report, then don't let the fact that someone says they have done it deter you from also reporting, sometimes that person hasn't yet reported the item, or multiple different arguments give us a better understanding of what's happening.
Check the content site to see what's happening around the UK and abroad.  http://www.gingerbeer.co.uk

Offline Lust for Life

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • deep down, I think I am an optimist ...
« Reply #73 on: Sep 27, 2010, 08:46:35 PM »
^^^ THAT.  Thanks for specifically saying that Evict.  Not just on the boards but everywhere, there seems to be an assumption that someone else has taken or will take action, yet being miffed that nothing's being done!  Apparently it's human nature: it's better to nearly drown in front of one person than a crowd, they'll all think someone else will act and no-one does anything.  One person alone will realise it's down to them.