Author Topic: Board Notices and Queries  (Read 66559 times)

Offline EVicT

• Administrator
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • We are the Borg!
    • Gingerbeer - The Lesbian Guide
Board Notices and Queries
« on: Apr 19, 2007, 12:11:16 PM »
Dear GB Messageboard User,

As you may have experienced in recent months we've had some unexpected and certainly unscheduled outages on the messageboard server.  Our host Touchlight are presently moving our dedicated server to a new datacentre to secure more reliable uptime and fewer interruptions.  In order to do this our server will need to be down for a few hours whilst it's location is physically moved from one centre to another.

Although there should be no loss of data as always please back up any messages you wish to keep (file, save as from the page with the message is a simple method).  Also, as we will be using a new IP address it is possible that not everyone will be able to see the boards immediately even though they will be live early Saturday morning.  Unfortunately with our present domain host we can't make any adjustments to change this though we're looking into ways of controlling that better in the future.

I will lock the boards at approximately 7.45pm on Friday night, and they will become unavailable at about 8pm (if all goes according to schedule).  They should be back up and running (for the majority of users) in the wee hours of Saturday morning.

Apologies again for the downtime, but hopefully this will reduce unexpected outage in the future,

Lenna (EVicT)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 10:50:33 AM by Steel »
Check the content site to see what's happening around the UK and abroad.  http://www.gingerbeer.co.uk

beautiful_terrible

Re: Board Notice: Scheduled Downtime: 20th April 2007, 7.45pm
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2007, 01:40:01 PM »
The personal IMs were a nice touch, buuuuut Evict has done some magic to my inbox!

"Hey, Miss Diesel, you have 0 messages, 1 is new. "

Zero messages and one is new? Wot?!

Hmm...weird...I've just sent a message to someone saying that I've not heard of this problem elsewhere...figures!

Okay, is anyone else having this problem? 

Can you post on: 
http://boards.gingerbeer.co.uk/index.php?topic=66338.msg1731832#msg1731832 so that I can track problems on one thread.

Can you log out and log back in again for me to see if that solves it?  Thanks!  It's the first time the 'newsletter' function has been used so there may be some glitches!

I had the same problem in that it was showing that I still had a new message when I'd actually read it.

As soon as I got an IM off somebody else, the new message thing disappeared.

Diesel

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2007, 02:08:37 PM »
It's fixed now, randomly, by itself  ::)

(I tried logging in and out, and I recieved and sent IMs but it didn't change anything.)

*shrugs*

Y2KBABE

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2007, 04:23:01 PM »
Although there should be no loss of data as always please back up any messages you wish to keep (file, save as from the page with the message is a simple method).  Also, as we will be using a new IP address it is possible that not everyone will be able to see the boards immediately even though they will be live early Saturday morning.  Unfortunately with our present domain host we can't make any adjustments to change this though we're looking into ways of controlling that better in the future.

Lenna (EVicT)

Hello Lenna,

Can I ask re the above paragraph 2 things :

1) If our IM's do get lost and we hadn't backed them up is there any way you would be able to get them back for us

2) When you say some of us may not be able to log on straight away, do we read that as Ever, or just wait another hour, try again and it should be OK ?  or is it possible *shock* that we won't ever be able to get in ?

Thanks x

Offline EVicT

• Administrator
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • We are the Borg!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2007, 04:43:56 PM »

Lenna (EVicT)

Hello Lenna,

Can I ask re the above paragraph 2 things :

1) If our IM's do get lost and we hadn't backed them up is there any way you would be able to get them back for us

2) When you say some of us may not be able to log on straight away, do we read that as Ever, or just wait another hour, try again and it should be OK ?  or is it possible *shock* that we won't ever be able to get in ?

Thanks x

1.  The server is backed up fully every night so everything on the server will be fully backed up as of midnight tonight.  If there is a disaster then we can restore the boards to the way that they looked at midnight tonight.  So, essentially the answer is yes. but only for things that happened before tonight.  Anything that happens tomorrow would not likely be saved but I am going to request an extra backup get taken at some point during the afternoon tomorrow if possible.

2.  Web serving has a rather complex way of providing information to an individuals desk top computer.  I won't go into too much detail but essentially our server will be changing it's IP address because it will no longer live in the same place (sometimes it's possible to move an IP but not in this case).  Our domain boards.gingerbeer.co.uk points the world to our IP so that people only have to remember a name, rather than an 8-13 digit number.  Each ISP (and then some) has their own schedule for updating their records.  So, whilst one ISP may check to make sure that boards.gingerbeer.co.uk is still pointing to the same place and if not update to the new location every hour, some may not do so for a couple of days.  The vast majority of people will be able to access us within a couple of hours at the max, however there will be a few people who have access trouble for a few days.  If you had problems the last time we moved the server then if you have the same ISP it's quite likely you will again.

We have managed to edit our TTL (time to live) so the majority should only have a few minutes wait!

Hope that isn't too techie, if it's not techie enough drop me an IM!

If after a couple of days you still can't get in then there are a few tricks, go to the website and drop an email to the techie inbox and I'll walk you through some of it.

Lenna
Check the content site to see what's happening around the UK and abroad.  http://www.gingerbeer.co.uk

Y2KBABE

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2007, 04:56:56 PM »
Nah thats a  8) explanation.

I'm fine re IM's and I didn't have a trouble last time Servers was swapped, but if I do this time I shall take some different ways to get to GB and work it out from there.

Many thanks for your detailed, swift response  :D

Offline EVicT

• Administrator
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • We are the Borg!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2007, 07:47:43 PM »
You're welcome! :D

Offline EVicT

• Administrator
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • We are the Borg!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2007, 08:25:56 PM »
Well...we have to abort the downtime. 

We've had a major hang up at the data centre and we're not being allowed to access our server.  Chris is pulling out all of the stops but we're going to abort for now.  We're going to have to do this again another time.  I'll keep you all up to date about when etc.

Sorry for the false start!

Offline kiwigoddess

• Gingerbeer Lifer
  • NO pork, prawns, pringles, pineapple, (a)pricots
    • blog
« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2007, 10:04:53 PM »
OH! and there was me thinking that you'd been super-efficient and fast!
"Cliff Richard, with a certain finesse
danced over the dust and the mess
"I'll do my prawn mime,
using marmite this time"
he lied.  Take that, kiwigoddess!"

"one of the best scores in the world..."

new beginnings. uh huh.

Offline Whippy

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Rizzla's wifey
« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2007, 10:06:34 PM »
Hi, thanks for keeping us posted.

It did make me think I should clear out my IMs, but I can't save them easily. I've tried doing File, Save, but it only saves the page I'm on, and then it saves them as a web page, so I can't edit it to take out the messages I don't need...

Is there a quick way to save the entire contents of one's IM box into a Word document, please?

Thanks!

Whippy
"It is lack of confidence, more than anything else, that kills a civilisation. We can destroy ourselves by cynicism and disillusion, just as effectively as by bombs."

Sir Kenneth Clark (1903-1983)

Offline Susanna♀

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Seasoned.
« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2007, 09:27:19 AM »

We've had a major hang up at the data centre and we're not being allowed to access our server.  Chris is pulling out all of the stops but we're going to abort for now.  We're going to have to do this again another time.  I'll keep you all up to date about when etc.

It's just like an episode of "Star Trek"! :D

"Sorry, Cap'n, ye'll have to abort. Ye'll never get The Enterprise off the ground until I've re-cringed yer thrust-wibblers!"

Offline Destined4Hades

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • bunse-web
« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2007, 10:25:48 PM »
Absent a force majeure event (surely not the London Marathon!), I do hope your contract with the data centre allowed for service credits in the event that you were denied reasonable access to your kit...  ::). Seriously, if you'd like me to look at your contract, I'd be happy to -- for beer and popcorn.  ;)

Anyway, no worries re the false start!

hades x

Steel

Re: UPDATE - Board Notice: Scheduled Downtime: 27th April 2007, 7.45pm
« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2007, 06:30:17 PM »
This is now scheduled for Friday 27th April, 7.45

Steel

Re: Re-scheduled downtime set for 27th April 7.45 pm
« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2007, 06:43:20 PM »
Plus, in case you're needing to feel popular, you all have an IM ;)

Madge Hooks

Re: UPDATE - Board Notice: Scheduled Downtime: 27th April 2007, 7.45pm
« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2007, 06:43:41 PM »
Oh, that's ok. I'll be out partying along the Southbank. If I weren't, it'd still be ok cos another Eastenders wedding is on. It's a win-win situation. ;D