Author Topic: Allergy Testing and Dermatology  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Blue Heron

  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • *****
  • Posts: 951
    • image shack
Allergy Testing and Dermatology
« on: Feb 28, 2007, 09:31:14 PM »
Are there any doctors or allergy specialists out there who can enlighten me ?

I have an allergy similar to hay fever which not only makes me sneeze, eyes water etc but my eyelids swell out (and sometimes my nose too) I also get itchy ears and sore throat and feel like I'm getting a sudden onset of the flu.  The swelling often lasts for 24 hours.  I also sometimes get hives appearing in various points on my body and occasionally a rash with much smaller spots on my hands and wrists.  But the swelling, sneezing, itchy ears, sore throat are more common when it is a small instance.  When it is worse it develops with the hives and rash and occassionally bowel disturbances/cramps as well.

This happens at all times of the year and the strangest thing to me is that is usually occurs just after or near the end of a run.  It has also happened on a number of occasions after eating food or sometimes drinking wine.  It does not however always happen after a particular food or drink. 

I am at a lose to understand why it happens.  I have also just taken up running again after many years.  I had finally had enough of the allergy which usually only happened with running so I gave up running.  Now I want to start running again regularly.  Unfortunately even though I only went out for a short and very slow run the allergy still occured immediately afterwards. 

I am now taking Clarityn antihistamine tablets and these seem to stop the allergy.  I tried Zirtek but although they were effective at the beginning after about a week the allergy seemed to be coming back.  So far so good with the Clarityn but I would still like to understand more about the allergy in case there is something I can do to lessen it such as diet etc. 

I had a strange reaction from my doctor though,  that I did not understand and would be grateful for enlighten on if anyone can help. 

He seemed rather reluctant to give me a referral to an allergy clinic saying that there were no such specialists and that he could only refer me to a Dermatologist and that was the right department for me to go to.  I questioned him on that,  going over my symptoms again but he still said this was the correct referral. 

Can anyone explain this to me and also perhaps help with where I should go to get some tests done? 
I have private health insurance through work and they have given me a reference number for an initial consultation and initial tests with a dermatologist as that is the referral I have. 


« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2007, 09:53:27 PM by Cinder Ella »


  • Guest
Re: Allergy Testing and Dermatology
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2007, 10:23:18 PM »
Yes dermatology is the right dept for you to be refered to and they can do allergy tests.

Food allergies are so difficult to pin point with out skin testing as some foods can take up to 3 or 4 days to react after eating or touching them.

Hope you get sorted soon. ;)

Offline byf

  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,458
Re: Allergy Testing and Dermatology
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2007, 06:57:55 AM »
This sounds very similar to something that happens to me.  Mine was diagnosed as idiopathic urticaria - a huge relief until I realised it means "You have hives and we don't know why.".  I did get a referral to an allergy clinic, and it was no help.  Unless there is a clearly discernable pattern, ie you get it after eating strawberries, it's very difficult to link to a particular trigger.  I think mine is at least partly stress-related, but probably a combination of things acting together.

Mine has improved a lot - down from a couple of attack a month over a few years to nothing in nearly a year (*grasps wood firmly*).  Apparently it often disappears as suddenly as it appears.

My doctor made the helpful comment "It's very common in women at mid-life and older."  ::)
Always be kinder than necessary, for everyone you know is fighting some kind of battle.


  • Guest
Re: Allergy Testing and Dermatology
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2007, 08:17:06 AM »
dermatology or an ENT/rhinitis specialist - the big ENT hospital is on Grays Inn Road.