Author Topic: Post all your Help!/PC problems/Tech queries here..  (Read 45218 times)

Offline minke

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • laconic sardonic lesbonic
    • antiminke
Re: Post all your Help!/PC problems/Tech queries here..
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2008, 02:26:22 AM »
If you've disabled the firewall, you'll need to re-enable it or install a new one, and virus protection is also a good idea.  They can slow down some computers but it's better than being hacked or getting a virus.

But a new computer should be really fast regardless so it might need checking out.
does it come as a surprise / that I dance like I've got diamonds / at the meeting of my thighs?

Gussetmonger

SharonAP

« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:18:26 PM »
Hi

If anyone can offer any help with this I would appreciate it.

I switch on my laptop, it makes a few whirring sounds, lights flash as they should. It then bleeps about four times and switches off.

Any suggestions as to what it could be or what might be wrong.

I am close to the throwing it away option to resolve this.

Thanks

Offline Meryl Streep Fan Club

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • "Details of your incompetence do not interest me."
Question for Techy GB Apple Mac Users
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2008, 11:19:13 AM »
Posted on behalf of Cinder Ella.  If anyone can help her she would really be greatful.  Thanks x

I have until recently been able to open YouTube and play movies on my Apple Mac using the Safari browser.  That is, until very recently when suddenly Safari keeps crashing and closing down completely every time I open the YouTube site.  When I untick the box for Java Script I can open the YouTube site but then I can't play any of YouTube's movies as that needs JavaScript open!   

I read various solutions on forums.  Some suggested I update my OS system from Panther to Tiger which I don't particularly want to do because of the expense and also because these same forums suggested I'd have to reinstall all my Apps which seems complicated and time consuming to me.  I'm also not sure if they just meant Apps I'd taken from internet sites but even then I have quite a few.   

Other suggestions said I should download Netscape from internet and use that instead of Safari.  I have done this and it seems to work.  However this morning I was reading that Netscape is not so good as it could make my computer vunerable to Spyware and other things!   

There was a suggestion that I should use Firefox which I may try this evening, but I don't know whether that will allow me to open YouTube and play their movies.   

I have a Apple Powerbook G4 which uses Linux I think rather than Intel.   All double dutch to me really but that's what I've read!   

Can anyone suggest the best solution to this problem.  I can't do without viewing the occasional YouTube movie!!!!!!!   
Especially when my lovely gf sends links to such tantilising ones!!!!!
You are truly Delightful!

Grow old with me, the best is yet to be.

Made in 1965. All original parts.

Offline DrHaus

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • marketing dept...
Re: Question for Techy GB Apple Mac Users
« Reply #33 on: Jan 17, 2008, 01:34:20 PM »
Tell her to go into applications - safari - and delete the preferences ( the preferences might be in user - library.. can't remember offhand).

It might work - we find that doing that, with anything from browsers to quark xpress is a general quick fix for lots of problems on osx.

the preferences will be rebuilt when you fire up the browser again, the worst that will happen is she might lose some personal setting she might have changed, but it will just go back to as if she had a fresh install, so nothing of great importance will be lost.

Posted on behalf of Cinder Ella.  If anyone can help her she would really be greatful.  Thanks x

I have until recently been able to open YouTube and play movies on my Apple Mac using the Safari browser.  That is, until very recently when suddenly Safari keeps crashing and closing down completely every time I open the YouTube site.  When I untick the box for Java Script I can open the YouTube site but then I can't play any of YouTube's movies as that needs JavaScript open!   

I read various solutions on forums.  Some suggested I update my OS system from Panther to Tiger which I don't particularly want to do because of the expense and also because these same forums suggested I'd have to reinstall all my Apps which seems complicated and time consuming to me.  I'm also not sure if they just meant Apps I'd taken from internet sites but even then I have quite a few.   

Other suggestions said I should download Netscape from internet and use that instead of Safari.  I have done this and it seems to work.  However this morning I was reading that Netscape is not so good as it could make my computer vunerable to Spyware and other things!   

There was a suggestion that I should use Firefox which I may try this evening, but I don't know whether that will allow me to open YouTube and play their movies.   

I have a Apple Powerbook G4 which uses Linux I think rather than Intel.   All double dutch to me really but that's what I've read!   

Can anyone suggest the best solution to this problem.  I can't do without viewing the occasional YouTube movie!!!!!!!   
Especially when my lovely gf sends links to such tantilising ones!!!!!

Offline kiwigoddess

• Gingerbeer Lifer
  • NO pork, prawns, pringles, pineapple, (a)pricots
    • blog
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2008, 01:50:24 PM »
hello!

something's up with page 3 (and page 3 only) of make friends - ... good god - i've forgotten the name of the room... but you know the one i mean - not events and things but the making friends one - yes.

an-y-way - page 3 isn't showing any threads and when i did a search for the 'northern beerie meet' it's not coming up either - it's on page 3 at the moment i think.
"Cliff Richard, with a certain finesse
danced over the dust and the mess
"I'll do my prawn mime,
using marmite this time"
he lied.  Take that, kiwigoddess!"

"one of the best scores in the world..."

new beginnings. uh huh.

Offline kiwigoddess

• Gingerbeer Lifer
  • NO pork, prawns, pringles, pineapple, (a)pricots
    • blog
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2008, 01:51:33 PM »
sigh, please ignore above post - i've just seen that steel has deleted it. and i'm posting in the wrong thread altogether. i could almost give myself the rolleyes.
"Cliff Richard, with a certain finesse
danced over the dust and the mess
"I'll do my prawn mime,
using marmite this time"
he lied.  Take that, kiwigoddess!"

"one of the best scores in the world..."

new beginnings. uh huh.

Offline minke

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • laconic sardonic lesbonic
    • antiminke
« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2008, 04:06:03 PM »
But page 4 works, it's a really strange one.
does it come as a surprise / that I dance like I've got diamonds / at the meeting of my thighs?

Gussetmonger

Offline Mosaic

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #37 on: Jan 21, 2008, 08:47:39 PM »
sigh, please ignore above post - i've just seen that steel has deleted it. and i'm posting in the wrong thread altogether. i could almost give myself the rolleyes.

Aww, kg, that was so sweet though - you did make me smile with this post!
Have lived and loved.  Still living (just) and am definitely still in love.

Offline Holalola

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • zindagi khoobsorat hai
« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2008, 09:58:22 PM »
A while ago, some lovely person gave masses of instructions about how to delete old norton so you can have shiny new AVG, may I have that again pretty please?

:-*

(And for someone who doesn't speak techie)

:-* :-* :-*
bringing cake to the masses.

Offline pPod

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2008, 10:52:12 PM »
A while ago, some lovely person gave masses of instructions about how to delete old norton so you can have shiny new AVG, may I have that again pretty please?

:-*

(And for someone who doesn't speak techie)

:-* :-* :-*

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/free-anti-virus-software

To remove Norton on a Windows based pc go to Start/ (Settings)/ Control Panel/ AddRemove Programs/ locate Norton and select delete.

Any questions then IM me.

pPod

Offline rachelejw

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • I am a female sheep
    • ramblings of a sheepish atom
Firefox and Adobe 8
« Reply #40 on: Jan 26, 2008, 12:58:03 AM »
Hi,

I use Firefox for reading web stuff and I have just installed Adobe 8 as an update to my doc reader.

Only the thing is the computer has become a bit choosy about whether or not it will open docs for me.

I would appreciate somebody who has the least idea what is going on getting back to me.

Thanks

Rachel
daydream believer......

'these are the times of miracle and wonder'

http://gaydargirls.com/rachelejw

Offline Susanna♀

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Seasoned.
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:48:34 AM »
Try this freebie:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Much smaller than Adobe and I've had no problems with it.
Windows only though.

satellite

« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:10:49 PM »
my suggestion is this, when you get the blue screen of death, it should have an error message on it (something like c:/bios/bunch of number/error/blah blah) type this error message into a functional computer's google (or whatever) search engine. there, you will find lots of ways/information on how to recover your hard drive yourself. don't be scared. this worked for me, i went from complete computer death to recovery. don't be scared of the MS DOS prompts, just type them in as suggested on some computer guru's website. lots of good free info online about hard drive recovery.

Offline Susanna♀

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Seasoned.
« Reply #43 on: Feb 01, 2008, 09:42:59 AM »
@ Satellite - and a brilliant way of learning and giving yourself the confidence to be able to fix things yourself.
"Geeks" are fab! :D

Aphrodite

Re: PC tech help needed.. will be much appricated
« Reply #44 on: Feb 01, 2008, 05:43:22 PM »
I've had a upgrade disk for windows vista as part of my new computer so I know its compatable, I put it in my pc and said, yes yes yes... it started loading, then wanted to reboot... I said yes...

it rebooted..

then the whole screen went bright blue with a message at the top...

blah blah x00000 something 'Fatal system error' blah x00000 something will shut down now.

so I restarted it, same thing happend...

tried loading it from safe mode... from 'last succesful windows boot'.. from another mode I cant remember now.. oh and safe mode with the command promt...

blue screen of death appears each time... and I can go no futher!

other then wiping it and re installing windows xp media which I have, I am a little lost... oh and dont get me started on my computer companys help desk... I couldn't even get through...

please advise me much appricated...

Did you find out what it was? Or get your stuff back?? That is identical to what happened to mine too! I gave up in the end and bought a new laptop but in the hope that in the meantime I can retrieve the photos and other stuff still on the computer I really would like as I stupidley hadnt backed everything up...

It would be amazing if you found a cure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And could share it!!! lol!

:-\ :-* ??? :-\