Author Topic: Post all your Help!/PC problems/Tech queries here..  (Read 43899 times)

Offline Meryl Streep Fan Club

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • "Details of your incompetence do not interest me."
Re: Post all your Help!/PC problems/Tech queries here..
« Reply #15 on: Sep 05, 2007, 08:21:27 AM »
Many thanks pPod :-*
You are truly Delightful!

Grow old with me, the best is yet to be.

Made in 1965. All original parts.

Offline Marylin ©

• Trans, Lesbian and proud Radical Feminist
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
Techy Question Ė Onboard Sound Driver
« Reply #16 on: Sep 07, 2007, 05:39:17 PM »
Iím trying to get my brothers computer working again after the hard disk had to be reformatted but now he has no sound.  He has no separate sound card, itís on his motherboard   I donít know how to identify the sound chip he has or how to work out what driver I need to download so Iím hoping one of you can help.

Itís a Pentium4 PC which is about 4 years old.

It has a QDI PlatiniX-8 Motherboard P6 i845 PE

Chipset is Intel 2560 rev

Itís running on WinXP SP2

If anyone has any idea what driver I need or how to find out then where to get it from I would be really grateful.
Marylin   x x x

Offline genevive

• Gingerbeer Virgin
Re: Techy Question Ė Onboard Sound Driver
« Reply #17 on: Sep 07, 2007, 08:46:24 PM »
Do a search on the web or look at drivers.com  to download your driver and then install the dowloaded driver...or get a mate to download it and put it on a cd for you to install that way

Offline Marylin ©

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: Techy Question Ė Onboard Sound Driver
« Reply #18 on: Sep 08, 2007, 01:22:49 AM »
Thanks for trying to help peeps.  Iíve tried all the usual stuff but not having any success with the sound.  I even tried putting in a separate sound card and installing the driver for that and all it did was crash the PC and then it wouldnít reboot properly so somethingís badly wrong but I donít have enough knowledge of device drivers to solve it.   Iíll figure it eventually.  :)
Marylin   x x x

Offline Meryl Streep Fan Club

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • "Details of your incompetence do not interest me."
« Reply #19 on: Sep 08, 2007, 05:12:42 PM »
Hmm.  I put Securemaker on my laptop, but it just s l o w e d  everything down to almost snail pace, so I have removed it.

I have a firewall and AVG anti virus protection.  Is there anything else I really should have to secure my laptop?

Thanks C65 :-*
You are truly Delightful!

Grow old with me, the best is yet to be.

Made in 1965. All original parts.

Offline McQuim

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #20 on: Sep 09, 2007, 07:11:07 PM »
In the last couple of days my computer had started getting these annoying pop ups for registry cleaners - you know the ones that look like warning messages but they are really trying to sell you some crap software.

my avg is all up to date and working and I have run ad aware a few times now ...? I had this before but I cant remember what I did to stop it  doh!   :-\

nobody cares!!!  I hate you all!    *cries in the corner*
"You cant reason with stupidity"

"aye yuu are yuur the mother of thiss family ihts yuur job tae touch jobby n tht "

Offline Marylin ©

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #21 on: Sep 10, 2007, 12:38:12 AM »
It might be a new one the virus and spyware checkers havenít caught up with yet.   You could try downloading one or two of the other free spyware programs and see if they can find it and get rid of it for you.   A lot of spyware tends to install a monitoring file that starts whenever you start windows which checks for the presence of the other files in their spyware program and reinstalls any that have been removed.   You have to locate that monitoring file and either disable it so it doesnít start when it boot up or, if you can, delete the file all together.
Marylin   x x x

Offline Marylin ©

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #22 on: Sep 10, 2007, 12:54:28 AM »
Although Iíve used computers for years and am quite good when it comes to using them Iíve never built a PC or had to try configuring a motherboard.   Also although Iíve installed device drivers many times I donít know exactly what every driver controls.   I tried looking at the BIOS settings and the only settings I could see that appeared to be anything to do with the sound were for the AC97 codec which are set to ĎAutoí which seems fine.   I also deleted and reinstalled the AC97 audio driver but that didnít help.

I think I have an idea what the problem might be.   Iíve downloaded the manual for the motherboard and had a good read.   Originally when the PC was new there was a CD with drivers and others bits on it for the motherboard although we no longer have the CD.   However, having just read the manual it seems that windows doesnít support all the onboard features of the motherboard (in this case the sound chip).   There were a few things on the CD that had to be installed in a given order, the first of which was the chipset software.   It contains a number of INF files that tells windows how to correctly configure the chipset.

Iím guessing that whatís happened is that having had to reformat the hard disk and having not installed the chipset software afterwards windows has not been able to find the onboard sound card so even though I tried installing the AC97 audio driver it isnít working because windows cant find an audio device to drive.

What do you think guys, does that seem like a reasonable guess?

Itís an Intel 845 PE chipset so Iíve managed to find and download the correct chipset software and will be going back to my brothers place tomorrow to try it.   I can log into GB from there so if anyone has any useful comments or ideas in the meantime I would be very grateful to hear them.
Marylin   x x x

sinewave

« Reply #23 on: Sep 10, 2007, 11:20:59 AM »
marylin - don't bother with sound card drivers and all that - they are just there to confuse, annoy and cause problems for you.

you can buy a relatively cheap external sound card (or audio interface, as it is technically called), which can be plugged in via usb or firewire, and produces sound from inside of your computer, be it a pc or mac.

let me know if you need assistance with this..

Offline Liz

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #24 on: Sep 13, 2007, 10:24:27 PM »
Can I set up my wireless broadband with my computer upstairs and my wireless router downstairs without a wireless adapter.  How much would one cost?

Peyton

« Reply #25 on: Sep 17, 2007, 11:07:29 PM »
Can I set up my wireless broadband with my computer upstairs and my wireless router downstairs without a wireless adapter.  How much would one cost?

Ignore what the ISPs say, broadband is not wired or wireless - it's the devices you use that make it one or the other, the actual connection has nothing to do with it.

If you want to connect your PC to your wireless router you'll need a wireless adaptor for it - you can get them for about £20.
Stick with whatever brand your router is, or, if it's just one the ISP gave you then get a Netgear or Linksys one (Belkin = crap).

Offline pPod

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #26 on: Sep 18, 2007, 02:31:39 PM »

Ignore what the ISPs say, broadband is not wired or wireless - it's the devices you use that make it one or the other, the actual connection has nothing to do with it.

If you want to connect your PC to your wireless router you'll need a wireless adaptor for it - you can get them for about £20.
Stick with whatever brand your router is, or, if it's just one the ISP gave you then get a Netgear or Linksys one (Belkin = crap).

try searching www.dabs.com for wireless adaptors

(also some PCs/ laptops have wireless adaptors on board ie inbuilt so check your manual or get the exact make and model and look on the manufacturer's website for the exact spec)

pPod

Offline Susanna♀

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Seasoned.
« Reply #27 on: Sep 18, 2007, 06:20:47 PM »
Nowt wrong with wires!

<------------festooned but connected. 8)

Peyton

« Reply #28 on: Sep 18, 2007, 07:51:50 PM »
They work better than wireless currently, but wireless is far easier with multiple computers spread around the house. ;D

portal_of_purple_pleasure

« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2008, 06:25:03 PM »
HELP PLS!

Hi, just to give you the low-down quickly...

my mum brought a laptop and i thought it was slow, sluggish and unresponsive as it kept freezing etc.

Anyway i emailed the company and they gave me this to do:

Once you have logged in to Windows, please click on Start > Computer. In here, please right click on OS Install (C:) Click Properties > Tools and under Error Checking please click Check Now. Tick both boxes and click Start. A message will appear to which you answer Yes. Click OK on the following screen and then proceed to restart your computer in the normal way.

Please let the machine run through the check. It should take about 30 minutes to complete and it will automatically get you back in to Windows.

Click Start and search for msconfig. This should come up with 1 program in the left hand column. Please double click it and click Continue if prompted. Choose Startup and un-tick all options.  Click OK, restart and test.

If you have only a software firewall running this will be disabled so you should not use a broadband internet connection in this state unless you have a Hardware firewall in a router.

If the problem does not occur, go back to MSCONFIG, tick one of the options and retest

So i've done that and it seems to have made a diff as it's not being  as slow or crashing anymore.

but now i want to check if it's performing well and this is not just a fluke, so i wanted to ask any of you techie minded lovely beeries for any ways i can test the performance, checks i can run etc before going back to my mum and telling her it's all working.

as you've probably gathered i'm not that techie minded, i know the basics which generally gets me trough.

so thanking you in advance for any help you may be able to give

Thanks Tons!

Ri x