Author Topic: Nice, France in May  (Read 1168 times)

Offline DrHaus

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • marketing dept...
Nice, France in May
« on: Apr 10, 2007, 11:55:48 AM »
I'm at a work thing in Nice in May, and want to extend my trip a bit while I am out there - picking up a hire car at the airport and hoping to spend a few of days in the area.
I dont want to stay in Nice itself, or any other larger town.

I'm more interested in hiking / camping / staying on a small-holding / arty farty something / eco friendly stuff... anything but city life really.

Any ideas or recommendations?

SaladSpies

Re: Nice, France in May
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2007, 12:49:27 PM »
Chatmaison,

Nice is only about an hour's drive from the Gorge Verdon, the deepest canyon in Europe.  There's loads of stuff to do there, cayaking, hiking etc.  but also nice towns to potter around and good places to swim.  Oh. and I think the lavender will be in flower while you are there  :)

The driving's a bit scary at times, with the old Úpingles up the sides of the canyon but is all spectacular.  On the west of the gorge is the Norman Foster designed Musee de Prehistoire that we've never managed to get to while it's open. 

There are loads of nice towns around there.  Some are really touristy, like Moustiers, but others are very quiet.  Visit Aups if you can, as there is an excellent restaurant there.  It's cheap too.  In fact, if I was looking to stay in the region for a couple of days I would consider Aups.

Offline DrHaus

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • marketing dept...
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2007, 01:09:45 PM »
Oh that sounds great! I'll skip off to google immediately.

Many thankings, Mintysaurus x

Offline DrHaus

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • marketing dept...
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 04:09:38 PM »
Just an FYI update:

I ended up staying in Quinson, at a gay B&B @ http://www.villabonheur.com.

Run by a german and french lesbian couple. Apparently we were the first Brits to stay there. Great base to have if kayaking / walking / biking / climbing is your thing. It's near a lake that is at the bottom of the Gorge du Verdon.
It's also where the Norman Foster designed Musee de Prehistoire is.

All that activity is not my thing however, but still a good place to stay - easy driving to surrounding villages, etc. and they have a pool around which to laze.