Author Topic: Croatia  (Read 4753 times)

Offline Jo Jo

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Croatia
« on: Mar 06, 2007, 08:57:29 PM »
Anyone been?  What's it like there?  Gay friendly?????

janeway

Re: Croatia
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2007, 09:28:21 PM »
If you were Croatian coming out to your parents I've heard they wouldn't take it too well,
I'm not sure about tourists though. One thing I do know is that I saw many many very hot dykey looking girls while I was there, so there will be good eye candy at least.

I would love to go back (when it's warmer).

chrissy

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2007, 10:17:10 AM »
We don't need eye candy! (We have each other ahhhhh  :-X) but we would like to be able to be our normal couply selves!

Offline Blundy

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2007, 01:30:12 PM »
*puke*

Have you ordered my ticket yet?

Offline Jo Jo

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2007, 04:42:26 PM »
If you were Croatian coming out to your parents I've heard they wouldn't take it too well,
I'm not sure about tourists though. One thing I do know is that I saw many many very hot dykey looking girls while I was there, so there will be good eye candy at least.

I would love to go back (when it's warmer).

Thanks Captain Sensible.  Hopefully they won't be too shocked when we turn up for our double room.  I told them I was going with my partner and they have automatically assumed she is a he.

I think we are doing something wrong, we are off to Egypt on Sunday where we aren't allowed to be gay, now we are choosing to go to Croatia a few weeks later where we might have the same problem - oh what joy!

chrissy

« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2007, 06:36:29 PM »
*puke*

Have you ordered my ticket yet?

Stop stalking us on gb!!!!!!

janeway

« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2007, 07:19:31 PM »
The Double Room asking saga is always a pain.

Can you check in and say your partner is out changing the car tyre or something like that?

chrissy

« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2007, 07:22:40 PM »
I like the look on their faces when they say "You do realise it's a double room not a twin don't you" and I reply "yes". Classic.

janeway

« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2007, 07:25:40 PM »
Depends whos checking you in... I can't stand the misty eye glaze sudden daydream fantasy factor. Vomitous.

Offline Jo Jo

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2007, 08:37:58 PM »
I agree, get sick of hearing it every time now!   ::)  heh ho!

Cyan

« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2007, 01:48:45 PM »

This depends where you're going and what you're comparing it with. Just as a reminder:

If you picked a remote middle-of-nowhere village, the locals are likely to stare (probably at your hair), but I doubt you're the first gay couple they've seen. If you go to Zagreb, Rijeka, Rovinj, Split, Dubrovnik, Opatija etc, there'll be gay bars, clubs, etc.

Catholic pilgrimage towns will be less accepting to PDAs than the capital. These are marked on most maps.

European women in general wear short hair; this is considered to be practical, feminine & fashionable rather than gay.

It's perfectly fine if you ogle women. Eye contact is not a taboo.

Rough looking locals will probably think you're cute. Cute looking grannies will probably think you're devil's spawn. Therefore rely on rough looking locals for accurate directions & food suggestions and steer clear from the grannies.

Whatever you do, you'll pay more than you expected for food. However, house wine is often excellent and you will get what you paid for, unlike in London.

I guess like any travel abroad, read up where you're headed and don't assume that everything outside of M25 is a hetero jungle... but don't count on exceptional minority privileges either. Be safe & have a great trip.

Offline Jo Jo

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2007, 03:53:57 PM »

This depends where you're going and what you're comparing it with. Just as a reminder:

If you picked a remote middle-of-nowhere village, the locals are likely to stare (probably at your hair), but I doubt you're the first gay couple they've seen. If you go to Zagreb, Rijeka, Rovinj, Split, Dubrovnik, Opatija etc, there'll be gay bars, clubs, etc.

Catholic pilgrimage towns will be less accepting to PDAs than the capital. These are marked on most maps.

European women in general wear short hair; this is considered to be practical, feminine & fashionable rather than gay.

It's perfectly fine if you ogle women. Eye contact is not a taboo.

Rough looking locals will probably think you're cute. Cute looking grannies will probably think you're devil's spawn. Therefore rely on rough looking locals for accurate directions & food suggestions and steer clear from the grannies.

Whatever you do, you'll pay more than you expected for food. However, house wine is often excellent and you will get what you paid for, unlike in London.

I guess like any travel abroad, read up where you're headed and don't assume that everything outside of M25 is a hetero jungle... but don't count on exceptional minority privileges either. Be safe & have a great trip.

Excellent, we are heading to Split so we can find some gay life then!  Woohoo!!!!

Thanks for the wine tip, good job I don't eat much if the food is expensive!!!!

Cyan

« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2007, 12:53:26 PM »
Split's not the cutest looking town out there, but you'll be OK. ;)

Try and take a romantic trip to Hvar on a boat, trips go daily there and back. (I once did that in the middle of winter and the wind almost blew me off deck, which I thought was terribly romantic.) Warm up with a cup of tea with rum when you get there. Mimosa flowers are still in full blossom, and if you look really hard you can see Venetian coast.

Offline mutts1971

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • You can't buy love on eBay
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2007, 02:08:11 PM »
I own a holiday flat there! Nr Split called Vodice
My web site is
www.holidaybubbles.co.uk
have a look
I love croatia it is beautiful!
There is a place you can touch a woman that will drive her crazy. Her heart.

Offline Jo Jo

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2007, 06:20:11 PM »
Great flat muttsnhahn!  Our accommodation is booked through our dive centre, but if it wasn't I'd be asking if we could rent it from you!

We are definitely going on boat trips, I have 5 days of diving booked, hopefully Hvar will be one of the destinations!

;D