Author Topic: Lahore  (Read 3712 times)

Die! Die! Die!

Re: Lahore
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:19:17 PM »
the thing is its hard to know what to tell a westerner who's not been there cos we're always with family when we go out.

There are not a lot of tourists in Pakistan full stop but you see the odd diplomat/business people around. Expect to be stared at. You'll probably only feel comfortable going out with other people shopping, dinner etc. Food strett in central Lahore is a road with lots of restaurants (funnily enough) really yummy food.

Erm there's the musem whihc ios a bit dull to be honest...oh go to the changing of the guard between pakistan and india its just outside lahore about 40 mins drive and its a daily occurance whereby the Pak/India side make a big hullabaloo of raseing and taking down flags and marching up and down like peacocks...its def worth seeing tho.

do lots of shopping in places like Liberty market and Lahore Fort.

uhmmm...still thinking....

dangerous-flower

« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2007, 06:41:56 PM »
Lahore is great...was there about a year ago. Though I'm not a Pakastani, I found it reasonably welcoming (though that could have been 'cos they saw $$ when they saw me approaching!). Things to note:

- Hardly anyone walks...apart from the maids and manual labourers.

- As a woman, you get checked by men all the time, so advisable to carry a shawl or duppatta(a large scarf)

- There is very little veg food! Most restaurants serve veg dishes like daal etc...with       meat. If you want no meat...say it!
   Also understand that meat is red meat, and chicken is not meat. it's...ermm... chicken! But you can get veg snacks like bhel puri, sholay bhattuara etc (could easily be main meals) at Chakhara (in Gulberg)...yummy!

Check out Gulberg (happening area) and go to MM ALAM Road for great eating places...esp if your feeling homesick try Freddy's. And great cakes at Coffee, Tea and Company...brownies to die for!

You have to go Cukkoo's near the Walled City and Badshahi Mosque.... great food, great atmosphere, great history! probably best not to go by yourself at night ...it's in the red light district.

Go to the mosque and the fort and the Sikh Gurdawara...

Lahore IS NOT A BACKWARD CITY despite the way international media portrays it. You can get everything...they even have supermarkets selling British products...chocolates, crisps...all the essentials!

Check out the women...they are hot!...

Offline Gilly

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • gaydargirls
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2007, 06:50:04 PM »
thanks for the info folks.  it sounds cool! i loved india and i am really keen to see more of asia.

i would be happy to hear from anyone else who has been there.

:D
Who could resist a cute little scottish bundle of fun ;D

Offline Emilia

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Meta-Anarchist
    • Gaydar Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2007, 07:32:01 PM »
i would be happy to hear from anyone else who has been there.

:D

I haven't been, but I might be going this summer.  :D

Perhaps we'll coincide...

Die! Die! Die!

« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2007, 12:28:24 PM »
Anyone who's interested, I've found this invaluable website for stuff going on in Lahore

www.danka.com.pk

Offline Emilia

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Meta-Anarchist
    • Gaydar Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 27, 2007, 08:35:55 AM »
Lahore IS NOT A BACKWARD CITY despite the way international media portrays it. You can get everything...they even have supermarkets selling British products...chocolates, crisps...all the essentials!

Couldn't resist bumping this thread, because I'm in Lahore now, and it's lovely!  :D

And certainly not backward - in fact, it's much more up-to-date and better-kept (and westernized) than India (where I live normally).

(I will probably get hit for saying this, and I'm not even sure by who...)

Die! Die! Die!

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 04:47:43 PM »
no beatings form me...just rose petals.... ;D

although I have to say that I don't like when people come from the west to Pakistan only to shop at Next, Body Shop, Nike, Nando's Mc D's etc when there is plenty of good wholesoime Pakistani produce here.