Author Topic: Bulgaria- Elinite  (Read 1192 times)

huggles

Bulgaria- Elinite
« on: Feb 01, 2007, 12:48:45 PM »
Anyone been?

We're going in the summer, any tips or advise?

Offline icy

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Re: Bulgaria- Elinite
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2007, 10:11:05 PM »
I've been twice and enjoyed it very much on both occasions! There is plenty to do and see, I recommend Povdiv as a place to stay - a lovely city with a fab old Greek amphitheatre. Sofia never really grabbed me although their old train station is very charming (next door to the shiny new coach station).

Stay away from the usual touristy beech resorts such as Sunny Beech ... Nesebar is nicer as is Sozopolu (spelling might be off!)

Mountain ski resorts offer excellent rates as there are so few tourists in summer ... but the air and views - fabulous! Can't remember the name of the one I visited last summer but it was up the road from a famous monastery beginning with B?

Bulgarians prefer coaches to trains and there are many independent coach companies that offer really cheap travel up and down the country - but I gather that their routes are as independent - I had a Bulgarian guide and so did not have to worry about practicalities as all was negotiated on my behalf provided I kept my mouth shut and my passport hidden ;)

Good luck and enjoy your trip

icy
"To be cured is to be cured of desire and who wants to be cured of desire?"

huggles

Re: Bulgaria- Elinite
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2007, 10:51:16 PM »
Thanks for that icy.