Author Topic: Safe Sex  (Read 77078 times)

zenith256

Re: Safe Sex
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2007, 10:59:55 PM »
And lets never forget its very easy to catch Herpes through oral sex. Just becasue we are lesbians does not mean we are immune. It can feel like a tiny pimple on your tonge but thats all it takes.

redred

« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2007, 02:36:31 PM »
And lets never forget its very easy to catch Herpes through oral sex. Just becasue we are lesbians does not mean we are immune. It can feel like a tiny pimple on your tonge but thats all it takes.

conversely, it's very easy to tell someone that you have active herpes and restrict play/sex accordingly. Takes two to tango etc.

Offline Hope

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • A laugh is the start to happiness for Hopey Hope
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2007, 02:59:31 PM »

conversely, it's very easy to tell someone that you have active herpes and restrict play/sex accordingly. Takes two to tango etc.

True. But you assume first that your gf knows she carries the virus ( herpes or any other STDs with no developed symptoms) and secondly that even if she does she is happy to mention it ( think about monogamous relationship and the destructive weight of an affair ::))

I have always practiced safe sex, except when in long term ish relationships... Guess what? I caught a STD and knowing it takes a few weeks to a few months to develop the symptoms if ever when carrying the virus, and that I had slept only with one person at the time and over a few years period, my then gf or in fact ex-gf by the time it was detected. Who do you think pass me the virus?

So yes it takes two to tango.... ::) ::)

oh and another note not all the STIs are passed through oral sex, some are passed through skin to skin contacts...

This is also a good link to find out more about common STIs.

Finally safe sex also means being able to communicate when you know that you carry a virus, whether you are engaged in sexual activities as parts of ONS or a more committed relationship. "Telling a partner that you have any type of STI, can be a difficult and challenging experience. Some partners may react by needing some time to think about how this affects your relationship. Some partners may have a lot of questions, might want to get tested themselves, and might make the decision not to have sex for a while. It's completely normal to feel frustrated, depressed, angry, or guilty about having an STI . But by taking care of your health, practicing safer sex, and informing yourself and your partners, you are taking all the necessary steps to minimize the risk of recurrences and transmitting the virus to others"
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2007, 04:25:52 PM by Hope »
"Seek the wisdom of the ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child." Ron Wild

whizgurl

« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2007, 01:54:59 PM »
Let's be honest I have never come across a lesbian that practices safe sex. Not only do they not practice safe sex but many of them have never been tested for an STD! I think its ridiculous

redred

« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2007, 04:36:42 PM »
Let's be honest I have never come across a lesbian that practices safe sex.

welcome to the vault, where a fair percentage regularly practice safe or reduced risk sex. And i'm being honest too.

woteverBF

« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2007, 02:01:08 PM »
Let's be honest I have never come across a lesbian that practices safe sex.

welcome to the vault, where a fair percentage regularly practice safe or reduced risk sex. And i'm being honest too.

YUP ... I agree, some of us do.  Won't do it without a condom & when the risks are highest I won't even meet up let alone go there.

Offline killpussy

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • killpussy
« Reply #21 on: Apr 11, 2007, 09:54:03 PM »
I think this country is really behind on the whole safe sex thing, it's hard to get to a clinic, it's scary if it's put on you national health file but there are places that you don't have to tell them your name.

when I first went for a screen (thats a get tested for everything and I mean everything) I asked the nurse for a ass swab and a throat swab and the nurse, I shit you not, asked me why when I am lesbian

ass swab because some things can be transmitted by fingers, so she touches herself has ghonarea (sorry not spelt right) and she touches my asshole I can get it there

My mouth because a very few things can be transmitted orally so you give oral sex with out protection you can get ghonarea (again not spelt right) in your mouth.

yeah these things are a long shot but I'm not willing to put my partner at risk at all and nothing sucks more than having to get a screen after someone instead of being carefull in the first place

to live a life with no fear is to live no life at all. Xx

greeny

« Reply #22 on: Apr 18, 2007, 04:57:01 PM »
A question for ppl:

Obviously I would never mix anal and vaginal play, but is sharing dildos/fingers for vaginal play BETWEEN my girlfriend and I OK?

We have always avoided it but I feel that as we have a committed/monogamous relationship and have both been cleared for STDs it should be OK

I know thrush can be transmitted from partner to partner but neither of us currently have it (we rarely get it)

redred

« Reply #23 on: Apr 18, 2007, 05:00:27 PM »
A question for ppl:

Obviously I would never mix anal and vaginal play, but is sharing dildos/fingers for vaginal play BETWEEN my girlfriend and I OK?

We have always avoided it but I feel that as we have a committed/monogamous relationship and have both been cleared for STDs it should be OK

I know thrush can be transmitted from partner to partner but neither of us currently have it (we rarely get it)

it's something you have to decide. It's part of being fluid bound with someone. Personally, i use fresh condoms on toys as a matter of course, just because toys get mucky/fluffy/cat hair/grit on them and these all irritate sensitive membranes. This is apart from/as well as the obvious safe sex implications.

« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2007, 05:05:20 PM by redred »

greeny

« Reply #24 on: Apr 21, 2007, 11:43:10 AM »
Thanks redred, 'fluid bound' - concept for me to think about.

Does anyone know if bacterial vaginosis can be sexually transmitted? I've only ever had it once when my g/f was away so it wasn't an issue at the time but its something I've wondered about.

The straight sexual health clinic doc said it is caused by harsh soaps but what else causes it (I don't use harsh soaps)? Could my g/f's slightly-grubby-camping-fingers have caused it? I suspect so...

There seems to be a real lack of info from docs and even online about B.V. And as regards the sexual health of 'women who sleep with women' in general.

Ta

redred

« Reply #25 on: Apr 22, 2007, 02:09:53 PM »
yes, you can get BV through sex. It's also caused by an imbalance in the 'healthy' bugs that exist happily in the body the majority of the time. So, antibiotics could contribute, for example.

Offline Jenny Talia

• I was born the same year that homosexuality was removed as a disorder from the DSM
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
  • No, that's just perfectly normal paranoia...
    • Planet London
« Reply #26 on: Apr 25, 2007, 08:32:04 PM »
when I first went for a screen (thats a get tested for everything and I mean everything) I asked the nurse for a throat swab and the nurse, I shit you not, asked me why when I am lesbian

I got that too, and at the orange clinic ::)  But truly its all related to money alocated to the NHS.  They won't do any test unless there is a need ie. you have symptoms or a reasonable belief that you are at risk.  Fair enuf.  But to people from countries without those limits it is frustrating.
You may be wondering what a map of the trade winds of the North Atlantic is doing on page 134 of a book entitled Is Sex Necessary? In our opinion a map of the trade winds is equally useful in understanding women as a cross section of the female anatomy -James Thurber

Nothing risqué, nothing gained

The source of all evil

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2007, 07:35:20 PM »
these links are really useful! thanks to all who contributed!

salsaqueen

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2007, 03:54:47 PM »
Wow at last a thread on Safe Sex.  Thanks to karate boi for posting it too.  I ALWAYS practice safe sex, discuss it with my prospective partner, use condoms on sex toys, rigourous oral hygiene and keep an eye out for first signs of STD's on each other etc.

Let's be honest I have never come across a lesbian that practices safe sex. Not only do they not practice safe sex but many of them have never been tested for an STD! I think its ridiculous
So YOU have never come across a lesbian that practice's safe sex, that doesn't mean that everyone you've not met doesn't!   

these links are really useful! thanks to all who contributed!

I wholeheartedly second that.

liketobeia

« Reply #29 on: Jun 11, 2007, 07:49:50 AM »
here is some stuff about oral sex and infection risk

this lists infections that can be caught through oral sex stating which are easy and which are difficult to transmit. It's from Brown, so i'm presuming it's accurate....

this is a list of common infections, their symptoms and available treatment options.

oh boy,

thanks for the info