Author Topic: Preparing for interview  (Read 14949 times)

Offline Whippy

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Rizzla's wifey
Preparing for interview
« on: Nov 17, 2006, 10:31:12 PM »
You can now find the advice and guidance previously posted by Whippy on this thread at:

www.relaunchyourcareer.co.uk

You can find out more about the reason for this change at: http://boards.gingerbeer.co.uk/index.php?topic=92052.0
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2009, 03:16:10 PM by Whippy »
"It is lack of confidence, more than anything else, that kills a civilisation. We can destroy ourselves by cynicism and disillusion, just as effectively as by bombs."

Sir Kenneth Clark (1903-1983)

Arctica

Re: Preparing for interview
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2006, 11:07:04 PM »
This would be good to archive.   Fab and detailed info.

Offline ScarletBea

• Hybrid
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2006, 10:05:39 AM »
 :D

Another sticky!

Offline Tassi

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2006, 03:27:40 PM »
Bump
To be or not to be? That is the bloody question!

Offline ScarletBea

• Hybrid
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2006, 03:56:15 PM »
Yes, I wish a mod would make this a sticky :-\

Spinks

« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2006, 10:38:19 PM »
Thanks very much for this Whippy

I read through it before preparing for an interview and it definetely helped me focus and not just sit and stress!

lewl

« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2007, 06:03:44 PM »
Whippy, are you one of the aunts who gives advice in the other thing on the thing on GB? z0mg, ily. Marriage?

jonilove

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2007, 05:09:54 PM »
Thanks for doing these threads Whippy, I have updated my cv and will be using your tips for interviews.

Offline Whippy

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Rizzla's wifey
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:10:52 PM »
Whippy, are you one of the aunts who gives advice in the other thing on the thing on GB? z0mg, ily. Marriage?

Aye. I'm Good Aunt... :D
"It is lack of confidence, more than anything else, that kills a civilisation. We can destroy ourselves by cynicism and disillusion, just as effectively as by bombs."

Sir Kenneth Clark (1903-1983)

lewl

« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2007, 10:59:30 AM »
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are like a celebrity. Holy mother of trout.

beautiful_terrible

« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2007, 08:50:21 PM »
The best pieces of advice I've ever been given for an interview are things to say when you're asked at the end if you have any questions:

1.  Put yourself in a place where you already have the job - ask where you'll have to go, how many people work there, who you'll be working for etc etc

2.  Ask the questions 'Are there any gaps in my skills that you believe I could improve on?' and/or 'Is there anything you feel I need to learn for this position?'

Offline *LadyStardust*

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Job interviews
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 04:27:06 PM »
I've just been informed I've made it on the shortlist for a job I applied for, and they want to conduct short 5 minute telephone interviews next week to narrow it down even more before face to face interviews... Does anyone know what I'm likely to be asked during the telephone interview? I don't much like talking on the phone at best of times so if I could be prepared, that would be a great help. I don't want to get tongue-tied and go all "um, I don't know..." on the phone. :-[

It's a receptionist position so am I right to assume they are likely to want to check if I have a professional telephone manner and that's why they're phoning first?

I want this job so badly for several reasons, any help would be very much appreciated!
"And then the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." --Ana´s Nin

Offline Brisbane

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Loving your work!!
    • MySpace
Re: Job interviews
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 04:28:35 PM »
they will prob ask

'tell me a situation when' questions....

I love interviews...but I am weird. :-\
I *heart* facebook. it's just another forum for me to overshare massively, vainly take excellent pictures of myself and post them all over the place, and stalk my friends 'going-ons' like an obsessive maniac.

Offline *LadyStardust*

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 04:36:48 PM »
You can do it for me, they won't know, it's over the phone. :P
"And then the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." --Ana´s Nin

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 04:39:58 PM »
Write out loads of possible questions they could ask, and plan out your answers. Then when they phone you can just look down the list for the question, and read out the answer. But you need to practice pretending you're not reading it out.... ;)