Author Topic: What has annoyed or made you MAD today ...  (Read 508772 times)

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
  • Gingerbeer.co.uk - The Lesbian Guide
Re: What has annoyed or made you MAD today ...
« Reply #15765 on: Jul 13, 2017, 06:15:37 PM »
I remember watching Betty Stove in the 1977 final.

Great name.

Online hellohowareyoutoday

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #15766 on: Jul 13, 2017, 06:17:16 PM »
I think Tennis is one of the sports where the game has evolved and the level of play is constantly improving - i.e. the champions of today would annihilate the 'legends' of the past with their eyes blindfolded. I am not sure if that is the case for other sports, e.g. Cricket or whatever.

Offline cigarettes and matches

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #15767 on: Jul 13, 2017, 08:27:13 PM »
I think Tennis is one of the sports where the game has evolved and the level of play is constantly improving - i.e. the champions of today would annihilate the 'legends' of the past with their eyes blindfolded. I am not sure if that is the case for other sports, e.g. Cricket or whatever.

I disagree.  I think they look up to them as role models.  I often wonder what a match would be like between Martina Navratilova and Venus Williams.  Both very good players but Venus having the advantage of being younger.  I do not think Martina would be able to keep up wirh her.  However if both players were roughly the same age it would be interesting to see how it goes.  Those tennis greats of yesteryear coach up and coming young players.   I know Bjon Borg does.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 08:32:22 PM by cigarettes and matches »
Music isn't my hobby, it's my passion.

Online wut

• Gingerbeer Newbie
« Reply #15768 on: Jul 13, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »
Am I the only person in the UK who isn't watching Wimbledon!?

Online hellohowareyoutoday

• Gingerbeer Diva
« Reply #15769 on: Jul 14, 2017, 01:06:17 AM »
Fair points, c&m. I'm sure the present players are indeed very influenced and inspired by those who came before them and shaped the game. I do think the Williams sisters could give almost anyone a literal run (hehe) for their money.

Offline scouser

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #15770 on: Jul 14, 2017, 02:02:57 AM »
Since moving here I haven't kept up with tennis.  :o
One day I'll laugh about this!😑

Offline Musette

• Perfect London Lesbian in Mum Casual
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #15771 on: Jul 15, 2017, 01:54:17 PM »
The young 'British' tennis player who has made it to the quarter finals.  People are saying that if she gets to the final and wins, she will then be the first British player since Virginia Wade to win Wimbledon.  However,  Jo Konta was born and raised in Australia and became a British Citizen when she moved here with her parents.  That in my book does not make her a true Brit.  And she claims that it would be nice if she could win for Great Britain  ::)   At least Virginia Wade was born here  >:(

C&M, I don't understand where your anger comes from. Can't you just be happy for Jo? Would you rather she was doing well and claiming the glory for Australia. She chooses to be a Brit - surely that's something to celebrate?
"U r a multifaceted dark horse. Oh yes you are..."

a wise and helpful soul, Musette  ;D

Online Sorted.

• Slutclique Fluffer
  • GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • Hold your beliefs lightly.
« Reply #15772 on: Jul 15, 2017, 02:03:37 PM »
Virginia only lived here till she was one anyway. She learned her tennis in South Africa.

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #15773 on: Jul 15, 2017, 02:26:16 PM »
^ exactly. So which of them is more British?

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #15774 on: Jul 15, 2017, 08:58:29 PM »
The young 'British' tennis player who has made it to the quarter finals.  People are saying that if she gets to the final and wins, she will then be the first British player since Virginia Wade to win Wimbledon.  However,  Jo Konta was born and raised in Australia and became a British Citizen when she moved here with her parents.  That in my book does not make her a true Brit.  And she claims that it would be nice if she could win for Great Britain  ::)   At least Virginia Wade was born here  >:(

C&M, I don't understand where your anger comes from. Can't you just be happy for Jo? Would you rather she was doing well and claiming the glory for Australia. She chooses to be a Brit - surely that's something to celebrate?

I have a very busy job.  We are short staffed and covering each others backs.  It is exhausting but we have to keep going.   I have a number of appointments in my spare time so I have had little time to myself.   I have also been studying.   I also had an internet outage in my area and I was battling with the company to rectify it because I may have to work at home and cannot do that without wifi.   I desperately need some time to myself where I do not have to watch the clock because I have to be somewhere or someone is coming to see me at home.  The latest was I was given the run around by a department store because the staff are incompetent and I was sent to two branches on a wild goose chase because the frgging staff do not do their homework properly, so yes  I am stressed and angry not to mention overworked.  We are about to lose another member of staff to materity leave with no replacement as yet and we will have to take on her work as well until we get someone to replace her.   

And to top it all off, our office is moving to frigging Croydon  >:(
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2017, 12:14:06 AM by cigarettes and matches »

Offline Marty

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #15775 on: Jul 16, 2017, 02:57:07 AM »

I have a very busy job.  We are short staffed and covering each others backs.  It is exhausting but we have to keep going.   I have a number of appointments in my spare time so I have had little time to myself.   I have also been studying.   I also had an internet outage in my area and I was battling with the company to rectify it because I may have to work at home and cannot do that without wifi.   I desperately need some time to myself where I do not have to watch the clock because I have to be somewhere or someone is coming to see me at home.  The latest was I was given the run around by a department store because the staff are incompetent and I was sent to two branches on a wild goose chase because the frgging staff do not do their homework properly, so yes  I am stressed and angry not to mention overworked.  We are about to lose another member of staff to materity leave with no replacement as yet and we will have to take on her work as well until we get someone to replace her.   

And to top it all off, our office is moving to frigging Croydon  >:(

I think Musette was wondering why you were so angry regarding what constitutes as born and bred English... Not your day to day life.

Offline Musette

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #15776 on: Jul 16, 2017, 01:11:23 PM »
^ exactly. I was just wondering about the Jo Konta nationality thing and why you seemed to have such a bee in your bonnet about it :-\
But I'll just let that go.

Online Artist

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • artist of life
« Reply #15777 on: Jul 19, 2017, 01:07:17 PM »
Traffic! I mean really!!!
“Expectations are resentments under construction.”
― Anne Lamott

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • But I don't smoke
« Reply #15778 on: Jul 21, 2017, 07:26:01 AM »
Princess Anne is currently on a 5 day tour of China and yet it is not newsworthy.  William and wife go on a tour of Poland and Germany and it is top news  ::)  I think princess Anne should be recognised more.  After all she is more royal than Kate.  She is the Queens daughter and very hard working.  Anne goes to do her job and nobody comments on the price of her clothes because that does not matter.  What matters more is the reason behind the visit. The comment is about why Anne is there.  It is very vulgar to comment on the price and make of clothes when on a Royal visit.   I really have a lot of admiration for Anne.  There is nothing false about her.

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2017, 07:29:50 AM by cigarettes and matches »

Offline Betty Croker's frosted buns

• Gingerbeer Scene Queen
« Reply #15779 on: Jul 21, 2017, 10:59:15 AM »
Livid.

We should start a campaign group - "Justice for the Princess Royale" - who wants to be treasurer?