Author Topic: Information Advice Support FAQs Resources  (Read 19181 times)

Offline Meryl Streep Fan Club

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
  • "Details of your incompetence do not interest me."
Information Advice Support FAQs Resources
« on: Apr 10, 2006, 10:47:44 AM »
Please post here queries and answers, suggestions and resources that will be useful for LGBT community, women and lesbians.
For instance websites, links to documents, helpline numbers, support groups, places to go and meet (support/mentoring), resources.
If people ask a question they could be directed to this thread to have a look.
It would be useful if items are well signposted  - maybe with an underlined heading. Think also about ensuring items can be founbd through the advanced search facility.

Thanks Polone.

E.G.

Advice for Teenage Lesbians

Are there any good resources out there for teenage lesbians and/or teenagers who are unsure about their sexuality and just want to be able to look stuff up that will not freak them out and talk to someone? 

Websites??
Contact numbers??
Advice centres??

My boss runs a guides group and one of  her 15 year olds, has asked her for advice.  My boss asked me ???

Hope you can help.

Many thanks C65 :-*
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2006, 01:38:01 PM by Polone »
You are truly Delightful!

Grow old with me, the best is yet to be.

Made in 1965. All original parts.

Offline marzipan gnome

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • http://bgwlc.co.uk/
    • Bethnal Green Weightlifting Club
Re: Advice for Teenage Lesbians
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2006, 10:51:24 AM »
what area are they chickpea as there may be a local lesbian youth group.

Mummy

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2006, 10:51:38 AM »
http://www.gayyouthuk.org.uk/support/lesbian.phtml

Hope it helps.

I think we used to have a member from metro on here.  Not sure if she is still on here though.

http://www.themetro.dircon.co.uk/

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2006, 10:55:41 AM »
Many thanks for these :-*

She is based in Hitchin, Hertfordshire.

Offline minke

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • laconic sardonic lesbonic
    • antiminke
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2006, 01:56:38 PM »
I think G3 has an article on resources for younger lesbians, try http://www.g3mag.co.uk/
does it come as a surprise / that I dance like I've got diamonds / at the meeting of my thighs?

Gussetmonger

Dystopienne_

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2006, 02:00:25 PM »
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2006, 02:02:04 PM by dystopienne- »

• GB Testers
  • Gingerbeer Devotee
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2006, 02:07:09 PM »
Dear all many thanks for these :-*

@ Dystopienne, that looks to be another useful site

@ Minke, I did a quick search and was unable to find anything, will try again

@Spinks, you never know, send me an IM with details adn I may be able to confirm

Polone

Re: Information Advice Support FAQs
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2006, 02:10:37 PM »
Have made this thread a sticky, renamed it as the start of a great resource for Gingerbeer users and visitors alike.

Offline Evelet

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2006, 04:56:06 PM »
For anyone who wants info/advice/support on any aspect of parenting check out our Rainbow Families FAQs. Not only is there advice on the mechanics of getting pregnant we've also got posts about legal aspects of parenting etc.

(we do talk about everything, including what to name our babies and how much pocket money to pay our kids etc etc as well as the mechanics of self insemination and dealing with clinics).

Just thought I'd flag it up  :)

Offline ruthie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
    • Love your inner lesbian
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2006, 11:33:19 AM »
www.queeryouth.org.uk has brilliant message boards for young people also links to the nearest youth group

www.lgbtyouth.org.uk is youth scotland but has great resources

Helpline: 0808 1000 143
Email: help@eachaction.org.uk
Website: www.eachaction.org.uk - Educational Action Challenging Homophobia

www.queery.org.uk - website database with lots of links and resources

and of course, www.stonewall.org.uk/education_for_all/

Polone

Re: Information Advice Support FAQs Resources
« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2006, 09:05:19 AM »
1)   Can anyone recommend a gay friendly therapist? Maybe who works by phone or else in person somewhere in London/Surrey?
2)   Any ideas where I could get a list of gay friendly therapists?

http://www.pinktherapy.org/

ELOP in Walthamstow are very helpful

they are a gay advice, counselling and support group

their telephone number is 020 8509 3898 and they are a gay group that advertise in g3 magazine.

In addition to the organisations already mentioned, there's also London Friend and The Metro Centre.

http://www.londonfriend.org.uk/

The Metro Centre -  tel: 020 8265 3311 or e-mail: info@t-metro.co.uk (Their webiste is undergoing maintenance at the moment.)

Try here: http://www.pinktherapy.org/

PACE is a good place if you are on a low income.  All their therapists id as gay, lesbian, or bi (not sure if they have any trans therapists?). 

Only drawback is there's a limit to the number of sessions you can have - max 12 weeks, I think.

www.pacehealth.org.uk

Cloud9

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 01:05:48 PM »
Anyone know any good depression support groups in London?

Offline sleepingdragon

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I will be good. I will be good. I will...
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 08:27:38 PM »
re: good Stoke Newington doctors:

I can strongly recommend the Somerford Grove Practice if you fall within their  catchment area. I've been with them for a year and have been really impressed by all the doctors, nurses and receptionists there. It's only just Stoke Newington though - towards Dalston - just between Farleigh Road and Arcola Street (where Halkevi, the big Kurdish community centre, is). Tel: 020 7241 9700.
"If you're gonna tell the truth, make it funny, or they'll kill ya" - Billy Wilder

Mee

« Reply #13 on: Jun 01, 2006, 05:54:32 PM »
Anyone know any good depression support groups in London?

I do one for anyone with a problem they need help for, not just depression though.  It's very low cost.

www.EFTLondon.co.uk

I hope this helps

Polone

« Reply #14 on: Jun 05, 2006, 04:26:04 PM »
Posted today in DCG.
Hi all.  :) :)
I'm kinda new here though been reading the messages for quite some time. I finally decided to join 'cos I think there's a great, supportive  community here.  ;D ;D
I've been trying for sometime to find some good websites for lesbian teens(14-17) and it's quite hard or I'm probably looking in the wrong place. It could be good to sometimes chat with people who share similar age with you. It's quite hard at school 'cos I don't know if my classmates can accept me as gay. I can't even go to clubs 'cos I'm not even 18. (am I gonna get banned here 'cos I'm 'underaged'?)  :-\.
Ok, my point is, why there aren't any sites for lesbians teens where we can chat about common stuff?  ( BBC got  a teen site which is cool but there's nothing about homosexuality which sucks) and whenever gay teens like me want to join a lesbian site we must be 18 or over. Oh where can I get a teen mag for lesbian teen? I know I'm winging a lot but I got straight mates and they tend to read those teens mags full of boys ( and gorgeous girls :)) but it'd be also cool to have one I can really relate too and share and giggle with my lesbians friends ( and hide under the bed too lol  ;) )

Oh, and  I tried to go the candy bar in Soho with some mates of mine but we've been turned down  :-[   So is there anywhere else anyone could recommend for 16yo lesbians to go, have fun, and relax?
Don't get me wrong I feel a bit discriminated 'cos you know, we know usually very young that we like girls and it doesn't help when there's nowhere to share our thoughts or when we are stopped to go to certain place 'cos we're too 'young' etc...
I hope I make any sense . Thanks in advance guys. :) :) ;D
A while back when I had some of the same age issues I came across a site www.queeryouth.org.uk which has lgbt teens on there from about age 11 upwards.

Hope you find this site useful
 :)
Hiya

There are lots of organisations listed on the stonewall website www.stonewall.org.uk/educationforall

www.queeryouth.org.uk as mentioned is really good.

When you turn 18, there are lots of young lesbians on faceparty.com and myspace. There are lots of people in those spaces who have been 18 for a few years if you know what i mean.

You might also want to look at www.speakoutonline.org.uk which is a survey of gay teens for the lobbying organisation Stonewall. At the end of the survey, there are some further resources. Can you get your friends to fill it in too?  ;D Cheers!

If you're in London, Freestyle has also got loads of info: http://www.freestylelondon.org.uk/

Your best bet is to find a youth group and take things from there because they know of lots of other events etc where you can go and won't be turned away.

Good luck

Rxx

Hi yeuxblueus ;D

Although not specifically aimed at teenagers I think you will be welcome here at Gingerbeer.

There are a number of legal issues with people under 16 and no site wants to be seen as ecouraging underage sex.

There are some sites, such as http://www.queeryouth.org.uk/, but not specifically aimed at lesbians.

There are a number of queer youth organisations all around the country aimed at 13 - 23 year olds. I can be hard if you can't get into the bars and clubs, but there is more to the lesbian scene than that. Our local queer youth group do things like organising barbeques and going bowling. Your local Gay and Lesbian switchboard should point you in the right direction.

There aren't very many lesbian magazines anyway and they do tend to be a bit generalised. But, you should be able to get a copy of Diva down your local WH Smiths.

Hey!
Thanks all for your replies. It'll help a great deal. It proves I was right about GB.  For a moment I thought I'd be told off  but it didn't happen. Yeah, I'm 16 :) and  I definitely intend to stick around here :)
 I'll check the other sites out too. Thanks for your help guys.

Ps: Thanks all  telling me about  queryyouth.org and thnx Ruthie for mentioning Speakoutonline. I'll make sure to let my mates know about it   :)
Cheers .

Oh sorry... another question... how do I contact my local gay switchboard? Will they keep my details private from my parents? Thns again :)
Check out
http://www.gingerbeer.co.uk/search.php?SearchText=nrg&submitButtonName=find which is a youth group.  You can also find many more youth groups on Gingerbeer's main site, and if you are London based check out:  http://www.gingerbeer.co.uk/event.php?ListingID=781&CategoryID=

Hope that's some help!
Oh sorry... another question... how do I contact my local gay switchboard? Will they keep my details private from my parents? Thns again :)

All switchboards are completely confidential.
Many of them have their own websites and community stuff you can get involved in.
Many are listed in the phone books for the major towns.
And they should all be listed in Diva.