Author Topic: Message Board FAQ  (Read 51183 times)

Mummy

Re:Message Board FAQ
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2006, 08:04:03 AM »

Mummy do you still have my email to send me the old pages?
Nope I don't Nessie.  Do you want to send it to me, or shall I guess? :D

Mummy

« Reply #16 on: Mar 31, 2006, 10:08:33 PM »
www.instead_of_using_the_boring_URL_do_it_this_way.com  <--------- don't press this one, there's nothing at the other end of this URL

How do you include some text (eg "Click here") other
than the URL which, when clicked, opens up the web page
you want to link to, instead of having the URL display
in full?

Use the format:

<------This image of how to insert a hyperlink with text you choose, is the only way I could think of displaying the code without  turing into a link (as below).  I'm sure there is an easier way, I just couldn't think of one. ::)
Use the format:

Insert your text for
clicking here, e.g. "Click here"

(Thanks to SuperScifiSam for the explanation) Compiled by Nessie 16BC :D
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2006, 10:09:06 PM by JasonKing »

Offline Kadie

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • I'm a llama!
I.M's
« Reply #17 on: Apr 03, 2006, 09:06:27 PM »
What is the limit before the message box becomes full? -thank you that is all!

dyke_in_pajamas

« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2006, 01:13:34 AM »
two questions:

How many posts must you post before your count turns into "a whole lot"

and

Why  are all the mods changing their names suddenly? (Mummy, I'm glad you're Mummy again!)

TF

Re:I.M's
« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2006, 02:43:45 AM »

The more messages you have the slower the board get's!
Look here ----->  http://boards.gingerbeer.co.uk/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=47936

Ruby

« Reply #20 on: Apr 04, 2006, 11:28:32 AM »

There is no limit - it is a privilege bestowed by Mummy on the rare few.

Why are all the mods changing their names suddenly?

Because they're mercurial?

Mummy

Re:I.M's
« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2006, 11:35:31 AM »
There isn't a limit at present.  But as soon as the change over happens there will be a set limit.  When you reach that limit it will let you know that you have to delete them or you won't be able to receive anymore until you have cleared space.

When the board was a baby, we didn;t have a large membership so it didn't cross our minds to set certain limits for IM's or Image size etc.
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2006, 11:37:28 AM by Mummy »

Mummy

« Reply #22 on: Apr 04, 2006, 11:36:33 AM »
two questions:

and

Why  are all the mods changing their names suddenly? (Mummy, I'm glad you're Mummy again!)
I've always changed my names on these boards. It all depends on my mood.   Which other mod has changed their name recently?

Logan

« Reply #23 on: Apr 04, 2006, 11:38:13 AM »

I've been begging / bribing / offering sexual favours for as long as I can remember, you have to be rather privilaged to get that done!  ;)

Mummy

« Reply #24 on: Apr 04, 2006, 11:51:59 AM »
I won't say anything on the subject of custom names in response to your post Logan because I am likely to say too much and it will all come out wrong and I'm not in the mood for it today.

Not sure how it will work when Patrick tranfers members and posts over  to the new MB's  but, it may well be the case that there are glitches - who knows.   Of course Patrick is hoping it goes smoothly, but you never know what gremlins are about on the day.  He assures us it will be fine though.  

With regards to the custom names, possibly using it as a way  for members to support the boards and offer a donation to have a custom name. It hasn't been decided as yet.  But it is one way of showing your support for GB it would mean removing the names people have already.

There are also other ideas from the web team which are being discussed in order to fund the boards too, but thats up to the Pinkevict to tell you whether any of those will happen or not, and if they do when they will be announced.

Back to FAQ
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2006, 10:55:00 PM by Mummy »

dyke_in_pajamas

« Reply #25 on: Apr 05, 2006, 01:27:55 AM »
thanks for the answers--Gap changed her name too. So maybe two arn't "all" but it's still a little confusing to those of us who are new. "Isn't that so-and-so's Avatar and Signature? Why's the name changed? Why is our mod now "JasonKing"? what happened to Mummy? Oh! That *is* Mummy!

For some odd reason it makes me happy that Mummy is Mummy again.

Offline jad

• Cheeky Little F*cker
  • Gingerbeer Lifer
« Reply #26 on: Apr 05, 2006, 08:45:06 AM »
Gap changed her name too.

Don't be surprised... Gap and Jammy are forever changing their names... keeps people on their toes ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2006, 09:12:00 AM by jad »

Polone

« Reply #27 on: Apr 05, 2006, 09:10:35 AM »
Name changes are actually displayed name changes only. Moderators names are blue and administrators'/Mummy's name are red in the online list so they are always easy to spot.
Gap, Jammy and Mummy tend to change their displayed names regularly. Dragonfly, Brighteyes, myself and the other Moderators usually don't/never do. You could almost conclude therefore that an unfamiliar red name is Mummy and an unfamiliar blue name is Gap or Jammy.
If you hover your cursor over a displayed name the registered name will be displayed in your status bar (bottom of screen).

Offline Fabulous FireHorse

• Creative crab
  • Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Absolutely Fabulous.
    • Q:alliance LGBT+ support in and around Milton Keynes, Bucks
« Reply #28 on: Apr 05, 2006, 10:59:59 PM »

As Mummy says, I put together a FAQ ages ago, much of it still up to date, and still mentioned on the main page leading to the boards - but there no longer seems to be a clickable link to it.

Are those pages gone, then? Shame - there was a lot there, combined from all sorts of sources, covering pretty much the same topics as listed above. If they could be rescued from wherever old webpages go to die, it might be easier to edit them than start from scratch.

Yeah, where is that FAQ? There's all this tantalising blurb about the FAQ on that page and then nada. Stop teasing us Mummy!
CEO | Artist | Geek

Mummy

« Reply #29 on: Apr 06, 2006, 07:44:57 PM »

As Mummy says, I put together a FAQ ages ago, much of it still up to date, and still mentioned on the main page leading to the boards - but there no longer seems to be a clickable link to it.

Are those pages gone, then? Shame - there was a lot there, combined from all sorts of sources, covering pretty much the same topics as listed above. If they could be rescued from wherever old webpages go to die, it might be easier to edit them than start from scratch.

Yeah, where is that FAQ? There's all this tantalising blurb about the FAQ on that page and then nada. Stop teasing us Mummy!
I sent them to Nessie last week.