Author Topic: Message Board FAQ  (Read 47768 times)

Polone

Message Board FAQ
« on: Mar 24, 2006, 04:46:54 PM »
We get a lot of similar queries that come up so I thought we could have a few well worded replies to FAQ that people could be directed to.
I was thinking about posting pics, resizing avatars, storing avatars e.g good photo, hosting on internet, changing online name, how to IM etc.
If people wish to contribute an answer to any of these post it in here with a clear title and so it can be easily found. Other FAQ ideas welcomed too.
First be sure your query isn't answered here:
http://boards.gingerbeer.co.uk/index.php?action=help;page=index
Or in this thread.
Thanks all
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2006, 02:04:57 PM by Polone »

Polone

Re:Message Board FAQ
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2006, 05:16:21 PM »
Also, how to quote would be good  ;)

Littlemissnaughty

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2006, 05:21:30 PM »

Avatars are the small pictures on the left below your name when you post.  (see mine flashing away on the left)

You have a choice of a number of pre-determined pictures or you can upload your own.

To upload your own, the image must firstly be 90 pixels by 90 pixels or it won't work.  You can resize using pixels in most picture editing programmes such as photo editor, photoshop etc.

To get flashing images, you will need a number of pictures and photshop cs with imageready.

Once you have your picture and it is the correct size, you need a website to upload it onto as a "host".  Sites such as  http://www.imageshack.us/ and http://photobucket.com/ are good as anyone will be able to view it whether they are a member or not.

NB: Sites such as msn where you have to have a membership to view them are not so good as this can cause pop ups asking people to log in and not allow people to view your picture so avoid these where possible.

Once you have your picture uploaded on your site, you will have an http address to view your picture.

Simply go to profile at the top of this page, insert your password so you can change your profile and scroll down to personalised picture.  (about halfway down) Under "I have my own pic" insert your http address, and save your changes.

Your picture will now appear on your profile  :D

If you need help resizing an image, or would like a flashing image like mine, or indeed need somewhere to host your image, I am more than happy to help, just email me your picture, or the pages where your chosen pictures are and i'll do the rest.

LMN xx
 :-*

littlemissnaughty.kissmequick@virgin.net
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2006, 05:25:11 PM by LittleMissNaughty »

Mummy

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2006, 05:31:35 PM »
Nessie wrote some FAQ's which wereon the old main GB site. They were removed when the new site went up.  

How do you quote from someone else's post? Delete or change one of your own posts after the event?

Go to the post you want to quote from or delete or change. At the top right hand corner of the post, you'll see Quote Modify Delete. (The last item, "Delete", only appears againsts posts you have written yourself). Just click Quote, Modify or Delete as the case may be. If you click Quote, a "Post Reply" page comes up with the post you want to quote already inserted in the Message box. Just edit it as you wish, and add your own comment.

Written up by Nessie (with edited images and some text because these boards are different to the ones which the FAQ's were written for) :D

Dykiri

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2006, 05:41:07 PM »
I thought you had to be a member to post, but I've seen a few posts written by 'guests'. How do they do it?

The posts are actually written by members. When a member deletes their own profile, any posts left will remain; since the member no longer exists, they will appear as 'guest' posts.

Well it did puzzle me 3 years ago...

Littlemissnaughty

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2006, 05:41:50 PM »
Uploading a Photo

Your image has to be "hosted" on a website.  http://www.imageshack.us/ is a good website to use, it is simple, free and images do not expire.

To show a picture in a thread you simply click on the button on the second row, fourth one in, it looks like a photo in a white frame.    (if you hover your mouse over the image, it tells you what it does)

in between the [img ] and [/img ] you put your http address.  If you don't input your image inside this code it will just show a link to the image.

This will enable you to show a picture

NB: The picture should not really be too big, if it makes the page funny, it is too large and needs resizing to a smaller size before uploading (imageshack lets you resize an image and so is ideal if you don't have a photo editing programme)
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2006, 05:45:20 PM by LittleMissNaughty »

Dykiri

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2006, 05:44:05 PM »
NB: The picture should not really be too big, if it makes the page funny, it is too large and needs resizing to a smaller size before uploading (imageshack lets you resize an image and so is ideal if you don't have a photo editing programme)

... or by adding width and heigh attributes:

[img width=80 height=40 ]http://site.com/image.gif[/img ]

Nessie

« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2006, 11:10:09 PM »
We get a lot of similar queries that come up so I thought we could have a few well worded replies to FAQ that people could be directed to.
I was thinking about posting pics, resizing avatars, storing avatars e.g good photo, hosting on internet, changing online name, how to IM etc.
If people wish to contribute an answer to any of these post it in here with a clear title and so it can be easily found. Other FAQ ideas welcomed too.
Thanks all

As Mummy says, I put together a FAQ ages ago, much of it still up to date, and still mentioned on the main page leading to the boards - but there no longer seems to be a clickable link to it.

Are those pages gone, then? Shame - there was a lot there, combined from all sorts of sources, covering pretty much the same topics as listed above. If they could be rescued from wherever old webpages go to die, it might be easier to edit them than start from scratch.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2006, 11:28:24 PM by Nessie »

Mummy

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2006, 11:18:38 PM »
The page that is there now is basic and doesn't say much.  I still have the original.  But some of its not relevant anymore nessie and some of it actually was for the old boards, not these ones. (not much difference, but still).  I can always send them to you if you want  :D to redo it.  I doubt if the newbies wanna know about the reasons to why sinner was called supergroin or that the gingerbeeries hang out at retro, Candy bar and star at night or what the fantasy football was all about.   :D :D :D :D  But you never know......
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2006, 11:27:14 PM by Mummy »

Nessie

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2006, 11:39:54 PM »
The page that is there now is basic and doesn't say much.  I still have the original.  But some of its not relevant anymore nessie and some of it actually was for the old boards, not these ones. (not much difference, but still).  I can always send them to you if you want  :D to redo it.  I doubt if the newbies wanna know about the reasons to why sinner was called supergroin or that the gingerbeeries hang out at retro, Candy bar and star at night or what the fantasy football was all about.   :D :D :D :D  But you never know......

And here I was thinking I was going to have to give ol' Fox a good smack for running off with me pages (she did work on the new site, didn't she?)

Yeah sure Mummy, send the original to me & I'll see if I can get a chance to redo it, the relevant bits of it anyway - I know a lot of it needs updating. (But not the pic-related ones, LittleMissNaughty clearly has a handle on that - great illustrations!)

Supergroin, ah the good ol' days... Could still be of historical interest, no?  :D
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2006, 11:45:26 PM by Nessie »

Littlemissnaughty

« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2006, 12:33:28 AM »

(But not the pic-related ones, LittleMissNaughty clearly has a handle on that - great illustrations!)

:-* thank you sweetie  :-*

scarletharlot

« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2006, 07:48:34 PM »
Thanks for the avatar advice LittleMissNaughty.  :-*

Littlemissnaughty

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2006, 07:57:17 PM »
Thanks for the avatar advice LittleMissNaughty.  :-*

no problem  :-*

Nessie

« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2006, 11:10:06 PM »

And here I was thinking I was going to have to give ol' Fox a good smack for running off with me pages (she did work on the new site, didn't she?)

Yeah sure Mummy, send the original to me & I'll see if I can get a chance to redo it, the relevant bits of it anyway - I know a lot of it needs updating. (But not the pic-related ones, LittleMissNaughty clearly has a handle on that - great illustrations!)

Supergroin, ah the good ol' days... Could still be of historical interest, no?  :D
;D

no nessie, I've only done reviews so far for the new site  :D
am on team gb though  ;D
they're still working on stuff. the links were funny yesterday but it's sorted nearly all ok today, but I couldn't find the faqs either. don't squash me.

Don't squash you? Awww, you're no fun at all Foxy. Gonna squash you anyway just for that. :P

(OK, will stop hijacking this thread further now, sorry! ;D)

Mummy do you still have my email to send me the old pages?

Polone

« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2006, 03:03:59 PM »
and back to the FAQ...