Author Topic: FAQ about making babies...  (Read 49026 times)

Offline Evelet

• Gingerbeer Goddess
Re:FAQ about making babies...
« Reply #15 on: Aug 01, 2005, 03:16:57 PM »
beware though. if you sign up for anything free, for ever more your door will be darkened with endless leaflets, brochures and 'short information videos'...

which is fine if you don't mind filling up your recycling bin with such rubbish. but a bit annoying otherwise...

also, best baby names site (in my opinion anyway) is an american one, http://tools.oxygen.com/babynamer/

jaffacat

« Reply #16 on: Aug 06, 2005, 07:30:01 AM »
HI, we imported from NW cryobank and are waiting confirmation that we are BFP from our doc this week (have line on home test kit).We imported to our home, all went very smoothly no problems

We read a book called "lesbians guide to conception" - excellant book really helpful and lots of info in there.
Hope that this helps others.
Lisa and nix x

Offline Evelet

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #17 on: Aug 08, 2005, 09:13:22 AM »
wow congrats!!!  :) how many cycles did it take?

dragonfly

« Reply #18 on: Aug 08, 2005, 08:50:09 PM »
BFP

what does this mean?

Offline Evelet

• Gingerbeer Goddess
« Reply #19 on: Aug 09, 2005, 09:10:14 AM »
BFP = Big Fat Positive result from a pregnancy test  :)

dragonfly

« Reply #20 on: Aug 09, 2005, 11:46:58 PM »
BFP = Big Fat Positive result from a pregnancy test  :)

;D 8)

jaffacat

« Reply #21 on: Aug 27, 2005, 11:04:20 AM »
HI, we did it in 2 cycles, we are over the moon (7+1 now)....other half is really sick at the moment tho (morning/noon/night). I highly recommend NW, they provided a great service and we had the choice of donor.
We did IUI at home, was very easy.

Thanks lisa n nic x

Offline Pandora

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Straight talking but gay f*cking
« Reply #22 on: Aug 27, 2005, 12:16:26 PM »
Congratulations Jaffacat and to your pregnant g/f (sorry, I don't know her name  :)).  I'd somehow missed your wonderful news.

My g/f also got pregnant on the second cycle (DI at our local hospital in Cambridge) and we're just at 16 weeks now.

I hope the sickness passes soon.  Been there, done that, still occasionally doing it  :(

My g/f found that 'Seabands' REALLY helped.  HEAT magazine had a picture of Penny Lancaster (Mrs Rod Stewart) wearing them and raving about how much they helped the sickness.  You should be able to get them from a good chemist.  Just two small elasticated blue wristbands with a white popper thing that you line up on a special acupressure point.

'Nothing tastes as good as being thin' Oprah Winfrey

jaffacat

« Reply #23 on: Sep 02, 2005, 08:28:51 AM »
hey congrats too pandora,
nic my g/f is using the seabands and everything posssible but still being sick morning,noon and night - i cant do anythign and feel soooo bad hopefully it will pass soon.we are at 8wks now so hopefully the next few weeks it will go.
how did you find using the cambridge facility?
is this your 1st?
we are sooooo excited, been naughty and ordered the nursery stuff yesterday (not hte cot)just the linem, wallpaper etc as wanted it all matching and painted the spare room last weekend. I knowits early but we have decided to buy a little each month to helpout with finances as nic just started a new job and she wont be paid whilst off on M/L other than what hte government gives her 100 a week - so the money we have saved up will stay in the bank to help out in emergencies whilst she is off or be saved if not required.
You brought anything yet?
take care and look after yourselves and the lil one.
lisax

Star2

« Reply #24 on: Sep 12, 2005, 05:49:56 PM »
Cherie Pies

surely not her real name?! ??? ;D

I had a very similar response, but it was printed on the front cover of the book, so it must be true :o  I'm hoping ( :-\ perhaps not the right words ::)) that she made it up herself rather than her parents giving it to her when she was too young to answer back

oh god... I feel a very judgmental "names to not give your baby" thread coming on...

Not entirely related to the thread, but heard of a baby called Georgia Applebetty!  As her mum craved the dessert whilst pregnant  ::)

dragonfly

« Reply #25 on: Oct 03, 2005, 09:05:38 PM »
Public Service Announcement

The Dungeon FAQs recently dropped off the end of the board because apparently all the questions had been asked and they were only read!

If threads don't get any new posts they drop off the end of the board 30 days after the last post.

To keep this in here, we need to have a new post every 30 days.

woo_woo

« Reply #26 on: Oct 05, 2005, 09:36:34 AM »
In that case, i'll happily bore you all with our attempts to conceive which start in November  ;D

To say i'm nervous would be totally understating how i feel!

anyone with any advice of how to stay sane during our 2WW etc... please, please feel free to say whatever you want!

Woo x

dragonfly

« Reply #27 on: Oct 05, 2005, 08:31:23 PM »
My attempts at staying sane when TTC involved telling no one, except two very close friends.

If you make it public people ask all kinds of very nosy and intrusive questions along with the "are you pregnant yet" question several times a month.  I could not cope with that, so I didn't make it public until I actually was pregnant.

dragonfly

« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2005, 12:12:45 AM »
Self insemination - after someone has made an offer to mail someone an unused copy of Lisa Saffrons book, this is the relevant info about how to inseminate...

What I used for inseminating once I had established the time was right using the fertile mucus technique:
1 gay man
small glass
oral medicine syringe
tissues
sanitary pads

1.  Get chap to ejacualte in to the glass.  We used a small "V" shaped liqueur glass (a gift from my Auntie Edie when I left home, I never did tell her the use I put them to) which made it easier to "drain" when it was drawn up in to the oral medicine syringe.
2.  Wait about 10-15 minutes until the sperm liquifies. This is really obvious when it happens.  Keep the glass at room temperature out of bright light while the process of liquification is happening.
3.  Draw the sperm up in to the oral medicine syringe using the plunger.  If the sperm has not liquified there will be lots and lots of air bubbles in it.  Stop and wait until the process has finished.

Lie on your back with your hips elevated - use a pillow or something with a towel underneath.  Insert the syringe in to your vagina as far as is comfortable, use a similar technique to inserting a tampon.  Very slowly depress the plunger and the sperm will be ejected in to your body.  Stay there for as long as feels right - I waited about 20-30 minutes before getting up.  Wipe, and put sanitary pad in to your knickers, you will drip.

He should produce over 3ml of sperm, Lisa Safron's book said that if there isn't this ammount to get him to do it again, if at all possible.  This had my chap foaming at the mouth.

The bit about waiting for it to liquify is really really important.  If it has air bubbles in it (it has been drawn in to the syringe too soon) the process becomes incredibly messy and wasteful of sperm if your access to this is limited.

Keeping the sperm alive
1.  Be aware that some containers will kill sperm.  I know that styrofoam will kill sperm.  We decided that it was probably safest to use glass.
2.  When you wash your kit between insemination.  Use plain water and be very thorough.  
3.  Make sure that anything that will come in to contact with the sperm is dry.  Water kills sperm if it comes in to contact with it.  The process of osmosis* causes the sperm to swell up and explode :o  One of the books I consulted suggested rinsing things through with sterile saline solution as it has the same osmotic pressure as the sperm.  I found this unnecessary.
4.  Do not overheat the sperm and keep it in a shady place while you are waiting for it to liquify.

I found drinks with bendy straws while I was lying down were also helpful, I did my inseminations in very hot weather.

* the passage of molecules across a semi permeable membrane from a solution of low concentration to a solution of high concentration until both reach the same concentration.

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2005, 04:55:48 PM by dragonfly »

Offline sassykat

• Gingerbeer Goddess
  • Shakara (Oloje) Olulufu Mi
« Reply #29 on: Nov 04, 2005, 08:43:48 AM »
Hi ladies very interesting site.

Does anyone have any sound advice in terms of once you have found your sperm donor, how do you go through the process of checking the sperm or rather how to do you get the person to have himself checked out and for how long should this process take to ensure everything is Kosher... Has anyone had this experience?
"If You have no confidence in self, You are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence, you have won, even before you have started"

Marcus Mosiah Garvey (1887-1940).